Default ASHI / NAHI Survey

This is the joint survey (along with the questions that the NAHI leadership approved but later decided they did not like) that ASHI and NAHI sent out to their members a few weeks back. ASHI has released it to their members. The individual comments have not been published yet because many signed their name to them. I think that some might be released if the names can be removed, but I don't know for sure.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Inspection Referral
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: ASHI / NAHI Survey

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    This is the joint survey (along with the questions that the NAHI leadership approved but later decided they did not like) that ASHI and NAHI sent out to their members a few weeks back. ASHI has released it to their members. The individual comments have not been published yet because many signed their name to them. I think that some might be released if the names can be removed, but I don't know for sure.
    Scott:

So then, the results are clear. The constituents voted "yea" while the anointed voted "nay". Par for the course. In most organizations job security is number one.

Inspectors could control the real estate industry.

A merger of ASHI, InterNACHI and NAHI is the only way our profession is going to ever be on par with NAR. NAR has power because they are unified. We are not.

A couple years ago there were three indoor air quality associations that merged, but they left IAC2 out and so industry didn't speak with one voice. That was a mistake.

No one's going to give up their power day one, so the way to do it is by forming a fourth organization that the other associations all belong to, and go from there.

Deep down, we all know we have to merge eventually.

I'm not pointing fingers, but not including InterNACHI in the merger talks was a mistake. Had ASHI and NAHI asked us, we would have participated constructively.

But instead, all ASHI and NAHI did was piss off InterNACHI. It was disrespectful IMO. Some at InterNACHI felt threatened.

I don't agree that the cartoon Nick released Two home inspection associations consider merging. - InterNACHI in response, correctly depicts our respective sizes, but every good joke has a some truth in it. InterNACHI is prett gosh darn huge now.

You may say that cartoons like that are Nick's way of belittling other associations, but in his defense, announcing merger talks as if the world's largest inspection trade association didn't even exist, is disrespectful too.

We should brush ourselves off and try again. Like I said, deep down we all know a merger has to happen.

Last edited by Lisa Endza; 05-08-2009 at 09:06 AM.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Endza View Post
    Inspectors could control the real estate industry.

A merger of ASHI, InterNACHI and NAHI is the only way our profession is going to ever be on par with NAR. NAR has power because they are unified. We are not.

A couple years ago there were three indoor air quality associations that merged, but they left IAC2 out and so industry didn't speak with one voice. That was a mistake.

No one is going to give up their power day one, so the way to do it is by forming a fourth organization that the other associations all belong to, and go from there.

Deep down, we all know that eventually we have to merge.

I'm not pointing fingers, but not including InterNACHI in the merger talks was a mistake. Had ASHI and NAHI asked us, we would have participated constructively.

But instead, all ASHI and NAHI did was piss off InterNACHI. It was disrespectful IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree that the cartoon Nick released Two home inspection associations consider merging. - InterNACHI in response, correctly depicts our respective sizes, but every good joke has a some truth in it. InterNACHI is prett gosh darn huge now.

You may say that cartoons like that are Nick's way of belittling other associations, but in his defense, announcing merger talks as if the world's largest inspection trade association didn't even exist, is disrespectful too.

We should brush ourselves off and try again. Like I said, deep down we all know a merger has to happen.
    Lisa: Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeazzzze, do not use the N word on this forum. And please do not get me started about the other N word - his organization. You have been given fair warning.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Lisa: Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeazzzze, do not use the N word on this forum. And please do not get me started about the other N word - his organization. You have been given fair warning.
    Would I be wrong in assuming Lisa is VERY new to the HI world.

Lisa.. Can I suggest you take a few thousand hrs to veiw posts from your boss on your website, you may soon see that your suggestion [as nobile as it seems] ain't never going to happen.

Either a merger happens or unification by other means will. Like I said, there is a little bit of truth in the cartoon Two home inspection associations consider merging. - InterNACHI

Either a merger happens or unification by other means will. Like I said, there is a little bit of truth in the cartoon Two home inspection associations consider merging. - InterNACHI
    I guess I looked at the cartoon wrong.
    When I saw that cartoon, with state licensing coming to more states, I assumed ole nickos instantly certified inspectors were jumping from the big ship, before it sank, to the little boats, and sailing off one by one, to assure they would have the right tools, and join a professional HI association to help them stay in business.

Last edited by Dan Harris; 05-08-2009 at 02:01 PM.

A.D. Miller Guest

When I saw that cartoon, with state licensing coming to more states, I assumed ole nickos instantly certified little boats . . .
    Dan: Agreed.

Lisa, your boss has made toooo many enemies in the profession. He has burned tooooo many bridges and has lost the respect from the majority in the profession. He would never relinquish his ownership, he does not even allow the member of his organization to have a say so on how things are done. He makes the final decisions for his kingdom.

The talks were between ASHI and NAHI and not INACHI. Now if Nick wants to talk about merging I'm sure all he would need to do is to call Jeff Arnold at ASHI HQ and just say the word. Problem is that Nick has shown over and over that he will not keep his word and will say just about anything to influence his point of view or for his benifit. I don't know if anyone would even take him seriously if he said he wanted to talk about merging.

I agree that it would be wonderful to have a single organization for the country, but as we all know that will never happen. INACHI has lower membership standards and requirements than ASHI and NAHI so that is one major hurdle that would need to be addressed. I guess if INACHI created an exam like the CRI or the NHIE and required their members to pass it before they called themselves "Certified" then that would go a long way in addressing the exam issue.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    I guess I looked at the cartoon wrong.
    When I saw that cartoon, with state licensing coming to more states, I assumed ole nickos instantly certified inspectors were jumping from the big ship, before it sank, to the little boats, and sailing off one by one, to assure they would have the right tools, and join the proper HI association to help them stay in business.
    WHEN PIGS FLY!!

UNLIKE you, most inspectors are able to remain in business WITHOUT government help.

Licensing is just a year around stimulas package for the likes of Dan.

Steven Meyer Guest

Would I be wrong in assuming Lisa is VERY new to the HI world.

Lisa.. Can I suggest you take a few thousand hrs to veiw posts from your boss on your website, you may soon see that your suggestion [as nobile as it seems]

ain't never going to happen.
    THERE IS A GOD!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Meyer View Post
    WHEN PIGS FLY!!

UNLIKE you, most inspectors are able to remain in business WITHOUT government help.

Licensing is just a year around stimulas package for the likes of Dan.
    Stevie boy your way out of your league here
    As far a pigs flying, I believe a few of your fellow members in your club stated that, or something to that effect, only to join ASHI after they got their 250 inspections.

I'm also sure Billie from Mephis Tn. can find and post a photo with pigs already flying.

Steven Meyer Guest

Stevie boy your way out of your league here
    As far a pigs flying, I believe a few of your fellow members in your club stated that, or something to that effect, only to join ASHI after they got their 250 inspections.

I'm also sure Billie from Mephis Tn. can find and post a photo with pigs already flying.
    Danny Boy,

Ya got your 250 "pretend" inspections done yet???

I've already got that photo of pigs flying, amazing thing, they look just like you!! Ops, my mistake, you didn't "fly" out of NACHI" you were thrown out!! Guess it's all the same, flying is flying, no matter how you got in the air! Yours was just at the end of a foot.

Enjoy that Arizona stimulas package, the gift that keeps on giving!!

You're home early, did you run out of inspections??? Or are you still in your jammies??

Kevin Luce Guest

INACHI has lower membership standards and requirements than ASHI and NAHI so that is one major hurdle that would need to be addressed. I guess if INACHI created an exam like the CRI or the NHIE and required their members to pass it before they called themselves "Certified" then that would go a long way in addressing the exam issue.
    I don't know about NAHI but ASHI has the lower entry standard than InterNACHI. When somebody calls them up and ask if they are a member of ASHI, they inform that person that he is. From the information that is on ASHI website, he is correct even though that statement might be deceiving. Many people around here don't know the difference between "Certified Member" and "Member"

Caller: Are you a member of ASHI?
    Home Inspector: Yes. I am a member of ASHI and Licenced in the state of _______.
    Caller: Great

From ASHI website:
    The entry level of membership is the Associate Member, which is available to anyone interested in the profession of home inspection, and who qualifies under ASHI guidelines.
    • Fill out the on-line application form
    • Send or fax a picture ID to ASHI
    • Include payment by credit card or check (In addition to the regular ASHI dues new members are required to pay a one time only application fee of $100.00. If you choose the monthly payment plan, there is an additional one time fee of $25.00.)
    Once you have been approved for ASHI membership, you can use the oral and written statement "I am an Associate Member of ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors)".

Steven Meyer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    I don't know about NAHI but ASHI has the lower entry standard than InterNACHI. When somebody calls them up and ask if they are a member of ASHI, they inform that person that he is. From the information that is on ASHI website, he is correct even though that statement might be deceiving. Many people around here don't know the difference between "Certified Member" and "Member"

Home Inspector: Yes. I am a member of ASHI and Licenced in the state of _______.

From ASHI website:
    The entry level of membership is the Associate Member, which is available to anyone interested in the profession of home inspection, and who qualifies under ASHI guidelines.
    • Include payment by credit card or check (In addition to the regular ASHI dues new members are required to pay a one time only application fee of $100.00. If you choose the monthly payment plan, there is an additional one time fee of $25.00.)
    Once you have been approved for ASHI membership, you can use the oral and written statement "I am an Associate Member of ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors)".
    Kevin Luce

Have no information which association you belong to, and none of my business. That being said, having only ONE association (merging them) is a bad idea. Each association has it's strenghts and weakness. I am for chosing that which is,the best for the indivudal. General Motors tried that idea, didn't work!!!

I have spent a considerable amout of time deciding which association will serve my best interest, and made that choice based on my own "self interest". Call me selfish, but I am out for me, not the greater good!!

Therefore, the more associations, the better, competition at its best, one association equals a complacent orgnaization. There is no reason to try harder and offer more! NOT GOOD FOR THE INDUSTRY!! Competition works every time!!

Kevin Luce Guest

Kevin Luce

Have no information which association you belong to, and none of my business. That being said, having only ONE association (merging them) is a bad idea. Each association has it's strenghts and weakness. I am for chosing that which is,the best for the indivudal. General Motors tried that idea, didn't work!!!

I have spent a considerable amout of time deciding which association will serve my best interest, and made that choice based on my own "self interest". Call me selfish, but I am out for me, not the greater good!!

Therefore, the more associations, the better, competition at its best, one association equals a complacent orgnaization. There is no reason to try harder and offer more! NOT GOOD FOR THE INDUSTRY!! Competition works every time!!
    I'm not sure why you directed that first statement towards me but Ok. I personally don't want to be known as an InterNACHI, ASHI or NAHI home inspector. I am trying my hardest for my business to be known as a full time multi inspector company that provides good service before, during and after the home inspection. I've met all my goal except one, the multi part.

I do agree with your statement.

Steven Meyer Guest

I'm not sure why you directed that first statement towards me but Ok. I personally don't want to be known as an InterNACHI, ASHI or NAHI home inspector. I am trying my hardest for my business to be known as a full time multi inspector company that provides good service before, during and after the home inspection. I've met all my goal except one, the multi part.

I do agree with your statement.
    Sorry if I offended you. As you. I DO NOT want to be known by the association I belong to, but rather by my repuation. You are on the right path, self reliance!!

Last edited by Steven Meyer; 05-14-2009 at 03:33 PM.

From ASHI website:
    Kevin, I never said a word about "entry" requirements. Yes, INACHI does require a non-proctored test that my 16 year old son passed in about an hour by looking the answers up on the Internet. Once a person does that then the are a Certifed Home Inspector, that is impressive! I agree that INACHI does have that entry requirement when nobody else does. FYI.....ICC also has a pay only entry membership level, does that make the ICC bad?

All of the associations have their niche and serve the profession in their own way. IMO, they all have their good and bad points. I don't think that one is really better or worse than the others, they are all different.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 05-09-2009 at 05:30 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steven Meyer Guest

All of the associations have their niche and serve the profession in their own way. IMO, they all have their good and bad points. I don't think that one is really better or worse than the others, they are all different.
    Now there is a common sense approach to the entire debate!

Kinda like buying a truck. Which is better, Cnevy, Ford, Dodge?
    They each do ths same thing, Haul junkl!! The only real difference are the whistles a bells that come with it.

Same with associations, pick the brand you like that comes with the accessoreies you wnat. There is not a "one size fits all", which is why I prefer to have several choices (associations) to chose from. And, just like you may want a second vehicle, same holds true with associations.

Now there is a common sense approach to the entire debate!

Kinda like buying a truck. Which is better, Cnevy, Ford, Dodge?
    They each do ths same thing, Haul junkl!! The only real difference are the whistles a bells that come with it.
    I can't wait to see a Fiat/Dodge product rolling down the street!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Steven Meyer Guest

I can't wait to see a Fiat/Dodge product rolling down the street!
    Won't have the power to haul much, but will get great gas mileage!!

A.D. Miller Guest

Won't have the power to haul much, but will get great gas mileage!!
    SM: Spoken like a true American.

Fiat bringing Iveco trucks stateside early 2008

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    SM: Spoken like a true American.

Fiat bringing Iveco trucks stateside early 2008
    Aaron,

I read this " the upcoming high-performance Abarth version of the new Fiat 500 " in that link and it immediately made me think of a car I "almost bought" as my first car - 1959 Fiat Abarth.

I had earned the money myself, but my Dad had veto power over what I bought, First it was "almost a Maserati Birdcage" - VETOED (had raced at Sebring and no way way I going to be allowed to buy that pure bred race car) ... then it was "almost a 1959 Fiat Abarth ( YouTube - 1959 Fiat Abarth Zagato ) - VETOED (had also raced a Sebring, but, it was not a pure bred race car, it was actually street legal, mostly) ... then it was "almost a 1954 Kaiser Darrin" ( YouTube - 1954 Kaiser Darrin: For Sale ) - VETOED (no way you will be able to keep that car running, you will not be able to find any parts for it) ... then it was a 1954 Jaguar MK VII - "if you don't buy it, I will" was his remark, so I bought it.

Oh to have actually owned one of those "almost bought" cars ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

I just got this this morning:

Attached Files Attached Files

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Got it too Aaron. I can't tell whether or not the disgruntled ex-member is embellishing, telling the truth, or just has an axe to grind. Something tells me it's a little bit of all three. Either way, it isn't good.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    Got it too Aaron. I can't tell whether or not the disgruntled ex-member is embellishing, telling the truth, or just has an axe to grind. Something tells me it's a little bit of all three. Either way, it isn't good.
    Nick: I believe you are right on all counts.

Brian Thomas Guest

Danny Boy,

Ya got your 250 "pretend" inspections done yet???

I've already got that photo of pigs flying, amazing thing, they look just like you!! Ops, my mistake, you didn't "fly" out of NACHI" you were thrown out!! Guess it's all the same, flying is flying, no matter how you got in the air! Yours was just at the end of a foot.

Enjoy that Arizona stimulas package, the gift that keeps on giving!!

You're home early, did you run out of inspections??? Or are you still in your jammies??
    How does one get thrown out of nachi?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    How does one get thrown out of nachi?

LOL.. Thats an easy question
    It ticks them off if you fail to worship, promote, and obey their king and expose the org and bogus certificiations for what they are..
    Ole stevie is still too new to realize, it's an honor to get thrown out.

Brian Thomas Guest

It ticks them off if you fail to worship, promote, and obey their king and expose the org and bogus certificiations for what they are..
    I assume the king would be nick?

Kevin Luce Guest

If InterNACHI is so bad and ASHI (don't hear about NAHI around here) is so great, why don't most home inspectors see this and join ASHI? Take some tests and get 250 inspections was easy to do when the market was great, and still isn't that hard to obtain. It's not like most home inspectors haven't heard about ASHI. In other words, if ASHI offers so much why wouldn't most home inspectors want to join?

Same with InterNACHI. If they are such a joke, why do people join. These are adults that are making these decisions and likely not young adults.

I actually know the answer.

If InterNACHI is so bad and ASHI (don't hear about NAHI around here) is so great, why don't most home inspectors see this and join ASHI? Take some tests and get 250 inspections was easy to do when the market was great, and still isn't that hard to obtain. It's not like most home inspectors haven't heard about ASHI. In other words, if ASHI offers so much why wouldn't most home inspectors want to join?

Same with InterNACHI. If they are such a joke, why do people join. These are adults that are making these decisions and likely not young adults.

I actually know the answer.
    I don' think that IACHI is a bad as you are making it to be. They have some good members and appear to have a few good chapters around the country.

ASHI averages about 100 to 150 new members every month. Only about 200-300 a year take the steps to move up in membership to the ASHI Certifed Inspector level. Most that move up have been in the profession for about 3-5 years. This might be why ASHI does not have the numbers of IACHI. The more experianced inspectors tend to join ASHI.

Is not easy for a person to take and pass the NHIE, complete 250 inspections and to have their reports verified that they are writing them to the standards.
    Many just do not want to jump through the requirement hoops that ASHI has in place and they choose to go the easy route with another organization.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    I assume the king would be nick?
    Yep, and then there are several drama queens there that think they will be forced out of business because they cannot use his online quiz for state licensing