Paul Friesen Guest

Default Does anyone use RecallChek?

Looking for some feedback form anyone that is or has used RecallChek. I see some guys adverting that they offer is as part of the inspection and looks and sounds great. That being said it seems time consuming and risky (I wouldn't want to be pulling appliances out on the floors on some of these multi-million dollar houses).

RecallChek

If anyone has any feedback or experience I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
    Paul

Inspection Referral

Default Re: Does anyone use RecallChek?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Friesen View Post
    Looking for some feedback form anyone that is or has used RecallChek. I see some guys adverting that they offer is as part of the inspection and looks and sounds great. That being said it seems time consuming and risky (I wouldn't want to be pulling appliances out on the floors on some of these multi-million dollar houses).

RecallChek

If anyone has any feedback or experience I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
    Paul
    Some love it and some don't. If you like to help keep your clients contact information private I would not use any type of service that requires their email, address, phone, etc… I do not use it and have never had anyone request such a service.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I have used RecallChek for a couple years now. I inform my clients how it works, and have only had one person tell me they did not want it. Of course, they were they same people that paid me with cash, and refused to give me their email address, even when I explained I needed it to send them their report. I ended up sending it to their Realtor, and they printed it out for them. I bet they had a cow when they had to give their SS number to buy the house.

Any way, Paul, it is not time consuming, or risky in any way. The tags on appliances, for the most part are easily visible, usually by opening the door (dishwasher, oven, microwave, refrigerator), or they are visible on the exterior of the unit (water heaters, HVAC units). A rough guess is it adds a total of 5 minutes to an inspection, maybe less.

I usually pull a refrigerator out a bit during my normal inspection so I can look behind for moisture stains. If I feel resistance, or I think there is a possibility of damaging the floor, I don't. That's a normal inspection thing, not a RecallChek thing.

I have not had one person complain about being harassed or spammed by anyone from RecallChek. I have had many clients thank me for the recall reports.

Nope don't use it even though its an option with Horizon report system.

I get it via email--but only for my info--sometimes I run into something ive read and mention it and give client website

I have used it. As a firefighter for over 20 years I have seen lots and LOTS of fires that have come from appliances that have been recalled and they did not know it until their house burned. I think its a thing that could save lives and its a GREAT idea.......BUT!!! In the 2 years we have used it NOT ONE person has used it. I looked through the ones we gave away and NOTHING changed from what I put in for them. Its a real shame because its a GREAT idea and could save someones life or their family, but I am not shocked I can't get people to put in working smoke detectors in their house.

They also offer a 90 warranty and that is something that we give away and continue to do.

I don't. I do a check with the CPSC and/or the manufacturer. Doesn't take long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JC Warner View Post
    I don't. I do a check with the CPSC and/or the manufacturer. Doesn't take long at all.
    I bet it takes a lot longer than input to RecallChek. I can input 8 - 10 appliances in about 6 minutes.

I have started using Home Binder for my clients. HomeBinder - Home Management Software It is a new service….

They have a recall feature as well. Either you (the home inspector) or the client can input the information for their appliances. I have just been inputting the maintaince items like, changing air filters, cleaning gutters, etc… So far it has been received very well.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I have started using Home Binder for my clients. HomeBinder - Home Management Software It is a new service….

… So far it has been received very well.
    Looks interesting, what does it actually cost you per HI client you sign up ? I only saw price points for for Agent or Broker. I'm wondering if my clients would be PO'd by me signing them up to some service... hmmmm, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I would. I hate getting spammed.

Joe Klampfer RHI
    www.myinspection.ca
    Pacific Home Inspections

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Klampfer View Post
    Looks interesting, what does it actually cost you per HI client you sign up ? I only saw price points for for Agent or Broker. I'm wondering if my clients would be PO'd by me signing them up to some service... hmmmm, come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I would. I hate getting spammed.
    The cost is a monthly fee for the inspector… I think it is around $30 to $40 a month for an unlimited number of inspections. Some inspectors are selling the service for an extra $20 to $30 and many just include it as a valued added service, that is what I do. I do not charge any extra for it.

Your client is sent a notice that they have been enrolled, but it is not automatic. If they want to use the service they must accept it by logging in and accepting it. Then they fill in and upload whatever they want to keep track of. It's a pretty neat and simple service. Every time that a reminder is sent to your client about an item needing maintenance like changing an air filter they are sent a reminder notice with your company logo and contact information on it.

It really has not been launched, right now they are doing a "soft" release right now…

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 05-25-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

I use to use it for many years, I was behind and it is frustrating to me to take the time to always filling out the form and loading pictures for no benefit to me. I quit a few months a go and my stress level has dropped from not worrying about ReCall Chek all the time. Buyers don't use an Inspector because of ReCall Chek. If you want to use it, good for you. it is a good thing but I choose not too going forward.

Dan Hagman ACI
    ProSite Home Inspections
    Des Moines, Iowa

Seems to me that it just adds another layer of responsibility and liability on the inspector ... what is you miss something, enter something incorrect, or for any reason do not find that something was recalled when it was ... and a problem happens with that missed item?

Certainly raises the liability aspect.

Now, giving the client access to it and having them enter the information - they are the ones who are not responsible for entering all items and entering the information correctly.

Like was suggested for the too-small-for-the-appliances opening in the cabinets - provide a pad (with your company information on it, of course) and a pen (with your company information of it, or course) to your client and whether they use the pad or not is their choice, but you provided it to them for their use.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, I may be able to address some of your concerns. Certainly Nathan could provide answers to all of them.
    Seems to me that it just adds another layer of responsibility and liability on the inspector Personally, I'm not that concerned....
    what is you miss something,
    The way RecallChek works, the clients have full access after 30 days, and can add ANYTHING they own

enter something incorrect... Since I use a phone app to take a photo of the tag, entering something incorrect is on the RecallChek end when they do the inputting...

, or for any reason do not find that something was recalled when it was ... and a problem happens with that missed item? Since the RecallChek system updates every 30 days, a recall will show up during the updates.

Certainly raises the liability aspect. I really do not see a huge liability risk for me. I'm sure you can dream up some scenario where I'll be sued for $6,000,000, but I'll take my risks.

Now, giving the client access to it and having them enter the information - they are the ones who are not responsible for entering all items and entering the information correctly.
    I don't really understand the last part of this sentence, but like I typed earlier, the clients get a chance to input their stuff, and add to it, after 30 days.

While Dan did not see the benefit, and/or could not input the data easily, I find it very fast to do, and my clients really like it, especially the ones that have a recall on their appliances. Like I posted earlier, it adds maybe 6 minutes to an inspection.

If someone doesn't like it, or doesn't want to do it, then don't. If you can't see the benefit, then don't use it. Actually, I would prefer other inspectors did not use it.
    I'm going to keep offering it to my clients.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    enter something incorrect... Since I use a phone app to take a photo of the tag, entering something incorrect is on the RecallChek end when they do the inputting...
    You send the photo and they enter the information? That reduces the liability for incorrectly inputing the information. Yes, that does help on the liability aspect.

That leaves it to just missed items.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Pass the Kool-Aid please.

Jerry, I'm not sure what you mean by missed items. Typically, its the kitchen appliances, water heater, and HVAC units. Once it a great while its also washer and dryer.
    I make it pretty clear that I'm giving my clients something FREE, and they can add their own stuff after 30 days.
    Once in a while I can not find the appliance tag, or its not legible (same as some HVAC unit labels that are sun bleached and you can't tell age/size etc.

Not sure what you mean by Kool-Aid Garry. What am I missing?

Jerry, I'm not sure what you mean by missed items. Typically, its the kitchen appliances, water heater, and HVAC units. Once it a great while its also washer and dryer.
    Any and all appliances, garage doors, garage door operators, attic fans, basically anything which can be recalled which is part of the house.

Or is that service strictly for appliances? It doesn't say that in the name, so I can imagine that if anything had a problem down the line and the client later learned there was a recall on it, and it was not on the list, there could be a problem with that item which was not included.

I can see a big drop in liability if the clients are informed that it ONLY covers x, y, and z and that it is THEIR responsibility to enter any and all other items ... not just that 'they can after 30 days', but that 'it is their responsibility to do so' ... 'for any and all other items'.

I'm just doing what the public would (and does) do - go by what the name implies.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Obviously Nathan can explain how it works a lot better than I can. Instead of guessing what it does or doesn't do, maybe people should do a little research instead of jumping to conclusions, or conjecturing.

Like I said before, if you don't want to offer something, then don't.

- - - Updated - - -

Obviously Nathan can explain how it works a lot better than I can. Instead of guessing what it does or doesn't do, maybe people should do a little research instead of jumping to conclusions, or conjecturing.

- - - Updated - - -

Coming to conclusions based on what we see is what we as inspectors do - not everything gets researched, only some of it does, and some other stuff is discussed here ... and it is beginning to sound like you don't want to keep defending it ...

No one has been accusing you are anything, we have just been asking about it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

a client that takes initiative is a + around here
    http://wemakeitsafer.com/
    works, free to anyone even lowly inspectors

badair http://www.adairinspection.com Garland, TX 75042
    Commercial-Residential-Construction-EIFS-Stucco-ACMV-Infrared Thermography
    life is the random lottery of events followed by numerous narrow escapes...accept the good