Thread: Its wrong, Why?

Stephen G Guest

Default Its wrong, Why?

This might even be powering the furnace. I am sure its not right have 14/2 wired into a plug.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Stephen G Guest

Default Re: Its wrong, Why?

wanna pic eh?

Last edited by Stephen G; 12-11-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    wanna pic eh?
    So is it the right size? No grounding? Disconnect as the switch even though you can unplug the unit right there?

Then I would have to question???? Copper gas line inside a home. I have no seen that in so long I cannot remember.

Garry Blankenship Guest

Assuming all the C/Bs in the supplying panel are appropriately sized, it's sized OK. It looks like a home owner's best attempt to provide a disconnect for a gas furnace. Either the switch or the cord cap is not necessary because both serve as a legal disconnect. In your case there are two disconnecting means. Aside from a funky location, the only problem I see is type NM cable cannot be used as an extention cord. It should be just hard wired to the box, supported and protected per code.

Stephen G Guest

Thank you, guys....

Gary that's about what I wrote...

Just finished the report debrief with the client, he is an electrician...he's happy...

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Blankenship View Post
    Assuming all the C/Bs in the supplying panel are appropriately sized, it's sized OK. It looks like a home owner's best attempt to provide a disconnect for a gas furnace. Either the switch or the cord cap is not necessary because both serve as a legal disconnect. In your case there are two disconnecting means. Aside from a funky location, the only problem I see is type NM cable cannot be used as an extention cord. It should be just hard wired to the box, supported and protected per code.

My guess is that the switch is a furnace disconnect and an amateur has added another device, humidifier or the like.
    It needs repair for safety. NMD shouldn't be subject to movement. Being solid wire, it will eventually snap if plugged and unplugged a bunch of times.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Stephen G Guest

Looking over my photos it may be for the electric air filter sandwiched between the plenum and cabinet..it was prett tight

From what I recall from the photo which is now gone, it could have been set up in the event of power failure so that a generator with extension cord could power the furnace via the male plug.

Stephen G Guest

Hey Ray, good thought...I took the pic down....once I address the pic name with my new photo installer...grrr

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    From what I recall from the photo which is
    now gone, it could have been set up in the event of power failure so that a generator with extension cord could power the furnace via the male plug.

It would be ok if he had used a proper cord and plug set, which is flexible stranded wire, insulated and designed for that.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen G View Post
    This might even be powering the furnace. I am sure its not right have 14/2 wired into a plug.
    No, it is not right.

It may, or may not, be right even if done as John says below:
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    It would be ok if he had used a proper cord and plug set, which is flexible stranded wire, insulated and designed for that.
    You would need to read the "Uses Permitted" and "Uses Not Permitted" for the flexible cord section to see if it would be right - from what I am envisioning of what you said ... it would still not be right even if flexible cord had been used.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Here is an example I ran into. The house had four furnaces, to boot it had a 400 amp emergency generator.

I never did find out why the marked outlets were installed and plugs with flexible cord.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Thanks Robert, that is what I put in the report. And that it was not acceptable and should be reviewed by an electrician given the large back up generator installed in an out building.

This was an 8,000 sq. foot estate on the market listed @ $5 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    The plugs allow you to run an extension cord to a generator and plug in the corresponding appliances, lights, etc.
    Why all the "extension cords."
    What about a transfer switch between the house panel & the generator panel?