mathew stouffer Guest

Default Gas fireplace vent

It appears 2 gas fireplaces connect to this single vent. This house was built in 03 and the gas fireplaces were vermont castings. Could not read manufactures venting recommendations, tag was worn off. The ceiling is cedar tongue and groove, located 9 inches above. Any idea if this meets clearance requirements.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

James Duffin Guest

Default Re: Gas fireplace vent

My info says a min of 12" from ceiling

mathew stouffer Guest

Thanks

Cool Re: Gas fireplace vent

The clearance should be more when its a balcony or deck, which this effectively is. So where or how did they joint two vents into one? Anyway it is all a fire trap and illegal. You have some real fireplace rogues out there Matthew.

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

mathew stouffer Guest

Sure do. Have no idea how they joined the vent, Im sure it's incorrect

James Duffin Guest

Here is where I got my 12" from in Vermont casting installation manual.

Attached Files Attached Files

Cool Re: Gas fireplace vent

James, that may or may not be the correct manual for this particular model gas stove. However, in looking at the photos provided, it is apparent soffit/ deck/ balcony is simply too close. Now, before I jump the gun, the first step is to have a professional inspect and test the fireplace including gauging the orifices and recording the gas pressures to ensure this appliance is firing within mfrs. specs. If it is overfiring, then once fixed it may be acceptable to the mfr. Also, it is sooting badly.

If it can be proved by a level III inspection two gas appliances were somehow hacked together into one vent then I would bring it to the attention of the fire marshal so hopefully criminal charges could be filed against the installers.

Not the plywood patch over what is probably an already pyrolyzed t&g ceiling. If it were me, I'd Red Tag this installation and lock it out before I left. If you feel uncomfortable doing that, I wouldn't hesitate to call the gas utility out and dump it on them.

I've dealth with Majestic/ Vt. Castings' ridiculous clearances before and it has caused problems at stated clearances shall we say. Still don't know how they got their listings but I do have information of at least one of their listed products that was pulled due to a faulty listing. Listings do not make appliances and venting Superman's Cape nor do they guarantee performance.

James Duffin Guest

I agree but that is what we have to go by during an inspection. I can say until I'm blue in the face that it is wrong but in reality it is OK per the manufacture who got the listing. Who is going to win that argument?

Question Re: Gas fireplace vent

So are you telling if you find charred combustibles even at a stated clearance you're not going to mention it?

James Duffin Guest

I always report what I see. I just don;t make stuff up as I go.

I would right that up as D&H. The Manufacturer of the fireplace unit can say anything they want about clearances of their product. The picture however sinks their statements. Their clearance statements are probably based on X products in lab conditions. Their 'out' would probably be that 'that is not a product we tested for' etc.
    Maybe I'm being too skeptical but I doubt that plywood was put up as decoration. The T111 underneath is probably charred far worse.
    From my construction inspection the other day, see the pic. Wood deck will be going over that location. Based on plans and wood size, clearance to wood deck will probably be less than 12".
    Client asked if she should pay the fireplace guy, he wants a check. Had to explain to her this is one of those things a good GC coordinates, etc. I was there because they kicked the GC off the job.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

James Duffin Guest

The vent in the picture is too close to the ground.

James you're pickier than I am. Ground smound. This is Chicago. It's not like we are going to get snow and ice that could block the vent and create a back up before the heat melts the ice.
    The contractor is so screwed. Lots of lousy framing, basement takes in water like crazy, winder stairs too narrow, Tyvek over plywood for brick veneer, straight take-offs for run-outs off of main trunkline, on and on.
    This will be another one of those endless reports.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    I agree but that is what we have to go by during an inspection. I can say until I'm blue in the face that it is wrong but in reality it is OK per the manufacture who got the listing. Who is going to win that argument?
    I know my limitations, I think this is a perfect example where to "Recommend a qualified professional to evaluate the installation" I would also mention "the installation placard was not readable". (this could be a clue that the installer actually knew it was wrong and scratched out the tag so no one would notice...it happens)

I don't think it is reasonable to spend several hours researching a problem. This is when it is best to recommend further investigation. Too many variables, two appliances, combustibles....is the tung and grove that is covered already been burned? Why else would you put an ugly piece of plywood up there?

There are three words men have a hard time saying..."I Don't Know"--Red Green. This also applies to Home Inspectors.

James Duffin Guest

I agree....that's why if the documentation says 12" is okay then it is okay with me too. If I see scorched wood I will say I see scorched wood but I will not say 12" is wrong since I don't know when or how the wood got scorched. I can't see into the past or predict the future....I can only report what I see at the time. Never have been one to make things up as I go.