Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netbooks

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Netbooks

I know that JP recently bought and is satisfied (I think) with a netbook. Does anyone else have experience with these devices?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Netbooks

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    I know that JP recently bought and is satisfied (I think) with a netbook.

I still am pleased with it.

You will find two types: 1) which uses Windows XP with Service Pack 3, which I have been told is similar to Vista in memory hog and problems; 2) Windows XP with Service Pack 2, which my experience has been and is no problems.

Netbook 1) cost slightly more, weighs slightly more, has a shorter battery life, has a slightly larger screen and keyboard, and slightly more memory.

Netbook 2) is what I went with as it weighs less and has a much longer battery life, as well as being more computer than you will likely need in a small notebook computer, and ... DID NOT HAVE SP3 in it.

Last edited by Jerry Peck; 09-06-2009 at 11:09 AM.
    Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I still am pleased with it.
    JP: Remind me which one you bought.

JP: Remind me which one you bought.
    Aaron,

I was adding that information with edit when you were posting.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Aaron,

I was adding that information with edit when you were posting.
    Thanks.

Aaron,

There are two brands of netbooks, maybe more now: HP and Acer.

I could not find any HP netbooks at the time so I bought an Acer.

Both HP and Acer have the same two models: with SP3 and withOUT SP3. As I did not want to deal with the problems I've heard and read about with Vista and similar with SP3, and I did not want to have to buy new software, which would have meant re-writing my inspection program, I went with the model withOUT SP3.

Much lighter (about a 2/3 the weight - 2+ pounds instead of 3+ pounds) and much longer battery life.

To me, the decision between the two models was a no brainer, and the one I liked better also cost about $100 less (however, that was not the deciding factor, just a nice side benefit).

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Aaron,

There are two brands of netbooks, maybe more now: HP and Acer.

I could not find any HP netbooks at the time so I bought an Acer.

Both HP and Acer have the same two models: with SP3 and withOUT SP3. As I did not want to deal with the problems I've heard and read about with Vista and similar with SP3, and I did not want to have to buy new software, which would have meant re-writing my inspection program, I went with the model withOUT SP3.

Much lighter (about a 2/3 the weight - 2+ pounds instead of 3+ pounds) and much longer battery life.

To me, the decision between the two models was a no brainer, and the one I liked better also cost about $100 less (however, that was not the deciding factor, just a nice side benefit).
    JP: There are many more manufacturers now. I am lusting over a 12" screen due to the need for reading glasses with a 10". I am down to two models: Samsung NC20-21GBK and Lenovo S12. With an upgrade to 2GB RAM, about $480 for either one. I've only done online research and now must go to Best Buy or Fry's to see what the real deal looks like.

I am also not a fan of MS products and almost bought one that does not use Windows at all, but could not find a 12" screen.

I'll let you know which deep water I plunge into.

Aaron

I looked at Netbooks, and decided to purchase a Touchsmart tablet (HP Touchsmart tx2). Unlike a netbook it has a built in CD and a few extra ports and has a 12" diagonal screen.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Aaron

I looked at Netbooks, and decided to purchase a Touchsmart tablet (HP Touchsmart tx2). Unlike a netbook it has a built in CD and a few extra ports and has a 12" diagonal screen.
    RW: That unit does more than I need it to do, not the least of which is costing and weighing almost twice as much.

Have you looked at the Asus tablet?

A.D. Miller Guest

Have you looked at the Asus tablet?
    RW: Yep. To my knowledge Asus has not released a 12" netbook in this country.

Yup only the 8.9" screen.

ASUS Tablet PC: ASUS Eee PC T91 | ASUS Eee PC T101H

My eyes are dim
    There was cheese, cheese, wafting on the breeze,
    In the stores, In the stores,
    There was ham, ham, mixed up with the jam,
    In the Quartermaster's Stores.
    My eyes are dim I cannot see,
    I have not brought my specs with me,
    I have not bought my specs with me.
    There was bread, bread, just like lumps of lead,
    In the stores. In the stores,
    There were buns, buns, and bullets for the guns,
    There were mice, mice, eating up the rice,
    In the stores. In the stores.
    There were rats, rats, big as blooming cats
    There is meat, meat, meat you couldn't eat,
    There were eggs, eggs, nearly growing legs,
    There is beer, beer that you can't get near,
    There is rum, rum, for the general's tum,
    There was cake, cake, cake you couldn't break,
    There were flies, flies, feeding on the pies,

Lenovo (IBM) makes a great product. A close friend of mine has been using them for years and always bragged about them. I finally got one about a year ago and would never go back to another laptop. They're in a class by themself as far as durability and overall reliability.

My X40 weighs about 3.5 lbs. and has a 6-hour battery. You could lighten it up by about .5 lb if you are okay with a smaller battery. The full size keyboard makes all the difference. I looked at a lot of the mini netbooks but just could never get anything done on a keyboard that small.

A new Lenovo is certainly pricey but you can pick them up on Ebay for super cheap. Another nice thing about IBM/Lenovo is the availability and ease of replacing parts. I've always figured it's because they're one of the few machines worth replacing parts on.

Ted Menelly Guest

Personally I feel that the Vista problems are long gone. They did have problems in the begining as in any software but I have vist on my laptop and XP on my home computer. I have problems on the home computer with XP and never on my HP notebook.

I have also been looking at netbooks. They are so cheap I was thinking of picking one up as a back up since my laptop is starting to get a couple years on it. I would rather have it all set up and ready to use just incase of that nasty thought of the laptop dying and losing all the info. As far as particular operating programs being memory hogs....What memory would you be using for memory with a home inspection report where that would matter? Just a thought.

One thing I do not like about the netbooks is the small screen. I had a much smaller screen with the tablet I had before this laptop. This one has a 17 unch....Its nice to be able to see.

JP: There are many more manufacturers now. I am lusting over a 12" screen due to the need for reading glasses with a 10".

Those aren't "netbooks", those are "notebooks".

Heck, get a 17" screen if you don't want to get reading glasses.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    One thing I do not like about the netbooks is the small screen. I had a much smaller screen with the tablet I had before this laptop. This one has a 17 unch....Its nice to be able to see.
    I used to use my 17" notebook, but I like my netbook much better ... BECAUSE it is smaller, lighter, battery lasts longer, et al.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I had a 15" screen on a "laptop" once.... I don't know how they can infer it's for your lap. It's the same as a Saint Bernard being a lap dog. The thing was HUGE. I think it weighed around 9 lbs.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I had a 15" screen on a "laptop" once.... I don't know how they can infer it's for your lap. It's the same as a Saint Bernard being a lap dog. The thing was HUGE. I think it weighed around 9 lbs.

Not anymore...half that

A.D. Miller Guest

Those aren't "netbooks", those are "notebooks".

Heck, get a 17" screen if you don't want to get reading glasses.
    JP: OK then, you pony up the $800+ difference and I'll certainly be buying a 17" laptop.

A.D. Miller Guest

Personally I feel that the Vista problems are long gone. They did have problems in the begining as in any software but I have vist on my laptop and XP on my home computer. I have problems on the home computer with XP and never on my HP notebook.

I have also been looking at netbooks. They are so cheap I was thinking of picking one up as a back up since my laptop is starting to get a couple years on it. I would rather have it all set up and ready to use just incase of that nasty thought of the laptop dying and losing all the info. As far as particular operating programs being memory hogs....What memory would you be using for memory with a home inspection report where that would matter? Just a thought.

TM: Just so we are clear here: the netbook I am about to buy will NEVER have inspection report software on it and will NEVER go on the job with me.

On-site report writing is for neophyte poseur inspectors and those, who after years on the job, remain nothing more than tyros. And no TM, I did not mean typos.

Ted Menelly Guest

TM: Just so we are clear here: the netbook I am about to buy will NEVER have inspection report software on it and will NEVER go on the job with me.

On-site report writing is for neophyte poseur inspectors and those, who after years on the job, remain nothing more than tyros. And no TM, I did not mean typos.

Now see

There you go again. Whether you do your reports on site or pay Maybell to do your reports for you six weeks after you do the inspection makes no difference to me.

I was just asuming that some form of software was going on there, who knows, to make notes on inspections or have something remotely related to home inspections. After all, you did not exactly state your purpose.

I ... *ALWAYS* ... up until even my last inspection ... *ALWAYS* had my inspection software on my notebook computer, AND STILL DO, even on my netbook computer, AND I ALWAYS did some, much, or all of my report writing on site (started out as *all*, then went to *much*, then to *some*).

Being an ignorant one, I had to look up smarty-pants word "tyros", and, yep, I guess I R 1 ... STILL.

Guess old Aaron thinks he knows enough to not be "a beginner in learning", me, I'm still a student in learning.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

I ... *ALWAYS* ... up until even my last inspection ... *ALWAYS* had my inspection software on my notebook computer, AND STILL DO, even on my netbook computer, AND I ALWAYS did some, much, or all of my report writing on site (started out as *all*, then went to *much*, then to *some*).

Being an ignorant one, I had to look up smarty-pants word "tyros", and, yep, I guess I R 1 ... STILL.

Guess old Aaron thinks he knows enough to not be "a beginner in learning", me, I'm still a student in learning.
    JP and TM: Why do you suppose it is that I feel compelled, veritably driven, to pull that same old schtick out of the hat over and over again?
    Because it brings the little (we)evils out of the bushes?

TM:

OK I'll confess, after 9 years on the job, I'm a neophyte poseur inspector 80% of the time.
    After searching " tryos" I have to ask, what in the heck does it mean?

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    OK I'll confess, after 9 years on the job, I'm a neophyte poseur inspector 80% of the time.
    DH: A tyro is an abecedarian or novitiate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Harris View Post
    Dan,

I had to look it up too.

Go to Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online and enter "tyros" (note your spelling of it).

Main Entry: ty·ro
    Pronunciation: \ˈtī-(ˌ)rō\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural tyros
    Usage: often attributive
    Etymology: Medieval Latin, from Latin tiro young soldier, tyro
    Date: 1587
    : a beginner in learning : novice
    synonyms see amateur

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Daniel Leung Guest

I already have a 10" Acer with XP 2002 Service Pack 3 for 5 months. I didn't see any big problem.
    This morning, I just received an email from Future Shop for the back to school deal :
    Acer Aspire One 10.1" Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz Netbook (AOD150-1920) - Red
    Our price: C$329.99
    Discount: -$50.00
    Sale Price: C$279.99
    Sale Ends: 9/11/2009
    Online Availability: In Stock: Usually ships next business day.
    Quantity Remaining: 76
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...&test_cookie=1

Ted Menelly Guest

Noun1.tyro - someone new to a field or activity beginner, initiate, tiro, novice
    unskilled person - a person who lacks technical training

abecedarian - a novice learning the rudiments of some subject

apprentice, prentice, learner - works for an expert to learn a trade

cub, greenhorn, rookie - an awkward and inexperienced youth

landlubber, landsman, lubber - an inexperienced sailor; a sailor on the first voyage

fledgeling, fledgling, newbie, newcomer, entrant, freshman, neophyte, starter - any new participant in some activity

tenderfoot - an inexperienced person (especially someone inexperienced in outdoor living)

trainee - someone who is being trained

Okay, just bought a HP Touchsmart TX2 with Vista Home Premium software, and I am not amused. Formerly on Windows XP.

Have loaded Adobe Acrobat Vers. 8 and it will not respond, have tried updates from Adobe, and uninstalled and reinstalled three times now and not much luck.

What is with the window that opens every time you start a program or download a program, its really annoying asking me I trust the program? Even Microsoft programs bring the annoying window up.

Having been an avid Mac user from their inception, I am seriously thinking of taking this Touchsmart back to the store and asking for a refund and purchasing another Mac which is ever more stable and not prone to virus and malware as Microsoft is.

I really don't understand how Microsoft gets away with their crap products because thats what they are.

A.D. Miller Guest

I really don't understand how Microsoft gets away with their crap products because thats what they are.
    RW: It is $pelled: MONOPOLY.

Joao Vieira Guest

been using 10" eeepc from asus for a while..
    took windows out (sorry windows lovers) and installed linux on the first..this one now has dual boot but I rarely use windows...broke the screen of the first one.. I don't need to use antivirus...once linux is up and running is a blast..there are several linux distros out there but I recommend ubuntu linux for beguinners...

I don't use pirated software anymore for several years....with linux I have everything that I need..thousands of programs just waiting to be downloaded from the internet...My kids use it too on the home pc..there are plenty games for kids for linux free as well...

Dell has a series of Mini Netbooks and have been giving them away for free with the purchase of selected laptops. They also offer a Netbook with Ubuntu Linux as the OS. Just replaced my 5 year old laptop but did not buy one of the selected laptops offering the free mini.

Yes, I agree with Jaoa and would have certainly liked to put Linux on the new laptop. Only have one program that the creators refuse to port to Linux for some ignorant reason and it can not be replaced. Other than that I use all Open software, i.e. OpenOffice, Thunderbird, Firefox, etc. I'm certainly tired of supporting the egomaniac (read MS).

Knowledge is power, but sharing knowledge brings peace!
    www.psinspection.com
    Texas License# 7593

Have been using Google Chrome as web browser and its much faster than Mozilla, and use Thunderbird as my email program. Both much faster than Internet Explorer and Outlook Express.

Ted Menelly Guest

Okay, just bought a HP Touchsmart TX2 with Vista Home Premium software, and I am not amused. Formerly on Windows XP.

Have loaded Adobe Acrobat Vers. 8 and it will not respond, have tried updates from Adobe, and uninstalled and reinstalled three times now and not much luck.

What is with the window that opens every time you start a program or download a program, its really annoying asking me I trust the program? Even Microsoft programs bring the annoying window up.

Having been an avid Mac user from their inception, I am seriously thinking of taking this Touchsmart back to the store and asking for a refund and purchasing another Mac which is ever more stable and not prone to virus and malware as Microsoft is.

No, I am not about to defend Microsoft but I will tell you about Adobe products....Rediculously over priced and bloated software and the most problems right now with virouses and problems.

There are so many PDF softwares out there to use Adobe now aday is nuts.

As far as that little screen popping up......shut it off so it does not pop up.

Sounds like you know nothing of microsoft products in the slightest because you have not ever used them. Pretty brainless operation if you have even the slightest knowledge of Microsoft products.

It sounds like you have not set Adobe up as your default PDF program. You also have to watch out for Adobe. It will try to take over everything.

As far as your touch smart TX2...I know nothing about it.

Mac users swear by Mac. Windows users since day one think Mac is foolish.

I have Vista on my laptop (no, I do not use Adobe)

I have XP on my desk top (no I do not use Adobe)

I don't have any problems with either one....Ever.

Norton 360 on both computers. Great product.

No, I am not about to defend Microsoft but I will tell you about Adobe products....Rediculously over priced and bloated software and the most problems right now with virouses and problems.
    I have Adobe 8 which work flawlessly on Windows XP

There are so many PDF softwares out there to use Adobe now aday is nuts.

As far as that little screen popping up......shut it off so it does not pop up.
    Couldn't figure out how on Vista

Sounds like you know nothing of microsoft products in the slightest because you have not ever used them. Pretty brainless operation if you have even the slightest knowledge of Microsoft products.
    Actually I have been using Windows and have been for the last number of years, but Vista is new to me and its a joke. Now I know why many have switched back to Windows as many complaints about its features. If you want brainless try a Mac, of which I am very familiar. Am very familiar with Windows and would consider myself and intermediate type knowledge person but certainly not a nerd nor novice.

It sounds like you have not set Adobe up as your default PDF program. You also have to watch out for Adobe. It will try to take over everything.Actually I did, I removed Adobe Reader 9 and loaded Adobe Standard 8, and it would not operate without hanging. Even did the updates. Zilch very trying and time consuming.

As far as your touch smart TX2...I know nothing about it.
    Nice little unit and a tablet to boot but that damn Vista.

Mac users swear by Mac. Windows users since day one think Mac is foolish.
    The cost factor was a stumbling block for many and that is changing with Apple introducing lower cost lines. Apple stock is way up as are sales thanks to Ipod, Iphone and the arrival soon of Apples Netbook.

I have Vista on my laptop (no, I do not use Adobe)
    I have many files in pdf, not to mention the ability to complete forms in pdf, edit, copy and crop. What is an alternative?

I have XP on my desk top (no I do not use Adobe)Yes I have Windows on my desktop unit an had it on my old laptop which I replaced with Touchsmart tablet.

I don't have any problems with either one....Ever.
    You are in the minority then.

Norton 360 on both computers. Great product.
    I have free online protection with my internet service. My provider provided Norton and they dropped it and now provide their own, it actually works a lot better from my experience, Norton is also expensive and if you read some reviews it does not get very favourable reviews, not that it matters if you like it and it works.

Think I will use my desktop and possibly forgo a MacBook until Apple launches its Netbook sometime in October, as everything Apple I am sure it will blow the socks off the competition.

Thanks for the feedback.

A lot of our users are getting the ASUS T91 with the 8.9" screen and loving it at $499. If you really want a 12" though I'd suggest getting a Fujitsu. I have a Fujitsu 13" tablet that I use and have loaned out to other inspectors and they love it. You just have to be willing to carry the extra pound.

Home Inspector Pro - Home Inspection Software & Home Inspection Website Hosting
    Runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad. Import HomeGauge, 3D & InspectVue Narratives!

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Quote: I have Vista on my laptop (no, I do not use Adobe)
    I have many files in pdf, not to mention the ability to complete forms in pdf, edit, copy and crop. What is an alternative?

There is a free PDF creator/ reader called doPDF version 6. You will have to do a search but it is free and may have been upgraded to a neewer version since I last downloaded. Has a very small footprint and does a nice job with most files, including graphics and pics. There are others but I use this one for some things and have not had any problems. I use Adobe as well but if you're having trouble installing try the doPDF ver6.

Thanks very much Mitchell, I will check it out.

Cheers,

imported_John Smith Guest

Have an Acer that I bought at Sams for ~300.00. Works well enough, but feels like a toy. For something to throw in the truck that is easy to carry and allows you to get on the internet, its a pretty good deal.

The only real complaint I have with it is my fat fingers have a hard time typing on it.

Ted Menelly Guest

Thanks very much Mitchell, I will check it out.

Cheers,

Nuance Communications-Scansoft PDF

I use this on both computers. Great program and never a hic up or security question and as far as price...A fraction on Adobe

Thanks Ted.

Well, I went for broke. Took the Touchsmart back and bought a Mac Book Pro. But still have my PC Windows desktop.

Love the Mac, its faster, as is downloading and email. Case produced from a solid block of aluminum. Keyboard is lit and you can dim the keyboard lighting.

A.D. Miller Guest

Love the Mac, its faster, as is downloading and email. Case produced from a solid block of aluminum. Keyboard is lit and you can dim the keyboard lighting.
    RW: And, you forgot to add: co$t$ a small fortune. I did not percieve you to be a religious man . . .

Jealousy will get you no where. I also no the difference between reliable and stable operating systems.

Don't be so tight with your money, enjoy simplicity at its finest.

Ted Menelly Guest

RW: And, you forgot to add: co$t$ a small fortune. I did not percieve you to be a religious man . . .

You want an option on operating systems

HP® Official Store — Buy HP Mini Laptop & tablet PCs direct from HP

Mitchell Toelle Guest

Current sale on NetBooks at Circuit City. Many manufacturers are represented here (I count 7) and pricing varies greatly with screen sizes from 8.9" to 12.1". But they are all NetBook class...not laptop. Just received in my inbox today.

CircuitCity.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Jealousy will get you no where. I also no the difference between reliable and stable operating systems.

Don't be so tight with your money, enjoy simplicity at its finest.
    RW: The simplicity is completely in the mind of the Apple purchaser.

I have a very close friend who is a professional graphic designer for the film industry. They use Macs and PCs. The PCs are every bit as reliable. While the MACs may excel at graphics manipulation, they do not excel in other areas. That is why they use both.

Much of the software that I use is not designed for use on MACs and is simply not available.

When purchasing my latest desktop earlier this year, comparable equipment priced out like this: MAC $3900, PC - $1300. there is nothing "cheap" about being cost conscious. I needed a computer and I bought one. If I needed a religious icon - and I never will - I would consider buying a Jesus bobble-head for my bicycle - not a MAC.

In the mind of the beholder? You are not a beholder so your comments are based on second hand opinions. Anyway having been in the film production business for years myself any editor, director, producer and most film production people are on Macs simply because the editing software is fare superior to anything Microsoft has. Besides where do you think Microsoft is getting all its ideas?

You don't think Apple is running those current ads extolling the short comings of PC's for nothing do ya? You will be happy to know I still have my PC desktop.

Love the Mac, would highly recommend it to anyone with the money and who doesn't want the frustrations of Microsoft OS. Come on AD think outside the box thats not like you to be so judgmental and opinionated.

Ted Menelly Guest

In the mind of the beholder? You are not a beholder so your comments are based on second hand opinions. Anyway having been in the film production business for years myself any editor, director, producer and most film production people are on Macs simply because the editing software is fare superior to anything Microsoft has. Besides where do you think Microsoft is getting all its ideas?

You don't think Apple is running those current ads extolling the short comings of PC's for nothing do ya? You will be happy to know I still have my PC desktop.

Love the Mac, would highly recommend it to anyone with the money and who doesn't want the frustrations of Microsoft OS. Come on AD think outside the box thats not like you to be so judgmental and opinionated.

Hmmmmm

Ahhh, judgemental or opinionated????????? Obviously the big grinning smiley face had plenty of meaning in your reply.

As far as the Macs. Whats up with Macs. If they were so wonderfull and so good for everything don't yeah they would be just a weeeee tad cheaper and much more popular. Don't you think there would be one in every office and home desk. Don't yeah think that all the laptops you see all over the world on the laps of the folks using laptops would be Macs. There is an obvious flaw in the Mac. Whether it be just the price or operation I clearly see room for improvement. When you have a hundred times the operating systems over another for as long as both been out you would think that if the lesser bought model would have caught on in popularity just from word of mouth on how wonderful and afordable it was.

Anyway....Macs got a long way to go to take over the market.

A.D. Miller Guest

In the mind of the beholder? You are not a beholder so your comments are based on second hand opinions.
    RW: Yes, "beholder" is the correct term, indicating that I am merely an observer, and not some star-struck dumb-ass who is bowled over by the cheesy Apple ad campaigns.

Anyway having been in the film production business for years myself
    RW: Let me guess: C-grade or skin flicks?

Besides where do you think Microsoft is getting all its ideas?
    RW: Can't argue with that.

You will be happy to know I still have my PC desktop.
    RW: That was a forgone conclusion.

Love the Mac
    RW: Let us pray . . .

would highly recommend it to anyone with the money
    RW: The idea is to get value for your money. Buying a MAC is like dropping your hard-earned change into Sunday's collection plate. You get a warm and fuzzy feeling above the waist line and something quite different on the other side of that line of demarcation.

Come on AD think outside the box thats not like you to be so judgmental and opinionated.
    RW: "Judgmental" and "opinionated" are two of many terms that have been high-jacked for illicit use by the PC loonies in this country in a doomed attempt to support their errant agendas.

(1) "Judgmental" means of or relating to judgment, which in turn denotes the capacity for judging, which means to hold as an opinion or to THINK!

(2) "Opinionated" means having or holding a specific opinion, which in turn denotes a view, judgment or appraisal formed in the mind about a particular matter.

PC means that you avoid doing both 1 and 2. You neither think nor do you form an opinion. In other words you are just taking up space. Mindless empty sneakers with eyes to the pie in the sky, nose to the grindstone, and ass in debt to those who have both cast and continue to hold this spell over you.

So pack up your stuff and move right along preaching that crap to someone who is listening.

I've been using Macs since the 80's and never had a problem or crash, or virus.
    Been using Dell/Windows for 6 or 7 years (whenever XP came out). Had too many crashes to count, various hardware issues (may be Dell thing), and pretty much dislike Windows. But use it to run my inspection software.

I have to say that Norton is crap virus protection. It brought my Dell to a near halt and made start up a very long process.

Non Mac users don't get it, and call out "cult". Mac users look down their noses and make fun of the other guys. It's like the Ford/Chevy rivals all over again. No one is likely to change the mind of the other side.

I just bought a Mac Book pro, for close to what a new Dell would be. The big difference is, I can run Windows or Mac operating systems on it. I don't know of any Windows machine that will run Mac software.

A.D. Miller Guest

I've been using Macs since the 80's and never had a problem or crash, or virus.
    JF: And we should take this on faith alone?

pretty much dislike Windows.
    JF: But, it is just a MAC knockoff, right?

Non Mac users don't get it, and call out "cult".
    JF: A spade is a spade.

It's like the Ford/Chevy rivals all over again.
    JF: More like the Volvo/Anyotherkindacar rival . . . Jesus was born in a Volvo owned Steve Jobs, right? Problem is Jobs is better suited to his role as board member of Walt Disney where fantasy is king than he is in his role as playing second fiddle to Bill Gates.

Besides, isn't it the Woz who holds all of the patents?

I just bought a Mac Book pro, for close to what a new Dell would be. The big difference is, I can run Windows or Mac operating systems on it.
    JF: See Windows 7 circa 10/22/09.

I don't know of any Windows machine that will run Mac software.
    JF: Why would anyone ever want that to happen? 'Twould be tantamount to playing Wagnerian operas on Klipsch speakers.

Ted

Your comparisons are moot. You could argue a radio is a radio, but if you are an audiophile a radio, CD player may not cut it, and you will always pay more for superior products. Such as a MacIntosh stero system. Its like home inspections you get what you pay for.

Unless you have experience with Macs, don't knock it. Sorry for all those who can't afford one. Not all of us can drive an Aston Martin, some must settle for a Ford.

AD

When you try a Mac to compare with a PC give us a call. Until such time save your nauseating useless diatribes for someone who cares.

Joao Vieira Guest

k, here is da free list:
    -OpenOffice if you are tired of Microsoft Bloatware
    -Foxit PDF reader if you don't like Adobe PDF reader
    -PDF Creator is a free pdf printer so that you can "print a PDF" (a new printer will pop up after you install it)
    -Gimp if you have time and are bored with photoshop
    -Chrome is very fast in windows...(using at the moment) but I hoped they have for linux also..I am just waiting for the Google Chrome OS which is going to rock

Macs vs windows vs linux is a matter of preference..if you like computers you can run everything in these days as a virtual machine, provided that Linux/ mac running inside windows has less punch and vice versa..I sometimes use wine (windows emulator) inside linux to run That windows program that I feel like.

oh, inkscape is the tool for vector graphics

My 2 cents on The mac Verses Microsoft.
    All current Windows Based products are based ( layered , heaped on top of ) the original Operating System DOS.

Think of the Microsoft OS as an inverted Pyramid or an Elephant Balanced on it's tail.
    Antique OS with Patch after patch after patch to keep it from toppling over.

Microsoft teamed up with IBM that had the Business Marketing to start the Desk top Sized PC. and wrote the Software to run those machines ( with the help and constant tweaking of Programmers and technician support.

Mac started making PC's for the Individual that was, is easy to operate on a stable platform , with many of today's given features like Icons, warning notices ( are you sure you want to perform this operation ect.

Sooner or later the Elephant can only balance so much on it's tail before it falls down.

MAC is very user friendly but with a smaller market base thus less units to spread feature upgrades, Software Development over which equals a higher per unit cost.

I've used both Operating Systems, current Laptop Fujitsu Life book T4220 XP Operating System.
    AD,

They were a tad more expensive than $1,300. ( Who Keeps Saying You Get What You Pay For? )

Last edited by Billy Stephens; 09-16-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

A.D. Miller Guest

Until such time save your nauseating useless diatribes
    RW: Try Exlax.

AD

I saw this on the bumper of a cattle truck today with Texas licence plates full of Bulls going to the stock yards, and It gave me a chuckle as you came to mind.

Jesus loves you, but everyone else thinks you're an arse!

A.D. Miller Guest

Sorry, back on theme here.

I did finally decide upon and purchase the Samsung NC20-21GBK. I have had it a week now and it seems great. Like all portables it has no speakers to brag on, otherwise I like it. The keyboard is large and the machine is not. The 12.1" screen is not that small, unlike the 10" netbooks this one (for me) is legible. Of course it's not a 17" from a $3k laptop, but neither was the <$600 price.

Time will tell.

Ted Menelly Guest

Sorry, back on theme here.

I did finally decide upon and purchase the Samsung NC20-21GBK. I have had it a week now and it seems great. Like all portables it has no speakers to brag on, otherwise I like it. The keyboard is large and the machine is not. The 12.1" screen is not that small, unlike the 10" netbooks this one (for me) is legible. Of course it's not a 17" from a $3k laptop, but neither was the <$600 price.

Time will tell.
    There is a sucker born every minute

A.D. Miller Guest

There is a sucker born every minute
    TM: Actually, a bit more often than that in Fort Worth.

I'm fairly confident someone could make a sitcom from the characters on this thread and it would be wildly sucessful.... really guys, this is great reading (while I should be working),

The whole mac v pc debate..... it's making me feel old that I've been hearing this argument for over 20 years now. It is an odd circumstance that after 20 years it's pretty much where it was 20 years ago. Apple makes an alledgedly superior product yet Microsoft holds the largest market share.

Heck, even beta-maxes went away after vhs won out. So, why is Mac still around? Iphones? that certainly has helped over the last few years. Honestly, I don't claim to have the answers... really it's just funny how little things change in 20 years.

Obviously, both make a good product or they'd be done by now. I've looked at Macs from time to time and would gladly buy one except they are A-expensive and B-don't run mainstream software. Those two facts almost make me admire them more. That being that a product with those two MAJOR shortcomings can still survive.... wow, those Macs must be great machines..... at least for some purpose or another.

A.D. Miller Guest

Obviously, both make a good product or they'd be done by now.
    MF: OK

I've looked at Macs from time to time and would gladly buy one except they are A-expensive and B-don't run mainstream software.
    MF: Yep.

Those two facts almost make me admire them more.
    MF: As long as it is almost, then you are still residing among the sane.

That being that a product with those two MAJOR shortcomings can still survive.... wow, those Macs must be great machines..... at least for some purpose or another.
    MF: You are now close to the very crux of the matter. Religious icons, though of little use in and of themselves, still hold great significance to the converts of their religions, while remaining mundane objects to those of us who are not starry-eyed, and head-over-heels in love with their advertising campaigns.

=Matt Fellman;101613

Obviously, both make a good product or they'd be done by now. I've looked at Macs from time to time and would gladly buy one except they are A-expensive and B-don't run mainstream software. Those two facts almost make me admire them more. That being that a product with those two MAJOR shortcomings can still survive.... wow, those Macs must be great machines..... at least for some purpose or another.
    Mac's run mainstream software, if you mean Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe, and if that doesn't do the trick you can load Windows on the Mac by partitioning the hard drive so you can run your windows base programs.

As to Major shortcomings of a Mac there aren't any as everyone wants to compare apples (no pun) to oranges.

I appreciate why Mac's cost more because its as simple of not having the frustration factor with Mac as you do with Windows.

Its also rather amusing to read the feedback by those who haven't even tried a Mac to compare to a PC.

A.D. Miller Guest

Its also rather amusing to read the feedback by those who haven't even tried a Mac to compare to a PC.
    RW: Typical religious hogwash: It's rather amusing to read the feedback by those who haven't even tried Jesus (Allah, Buddha, et al.) compared to thinking.

You're a convert of the naive and gullible variety. We get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast