Default Stiebel - Eltron electric tankless water heater

Hello

Does any one have any experience with these. I inspected one today that was model # Tempra-24-plus and there was not a pressure relief valve or extension installed. I went on the website but did not see any reference to having one. I thought most if not all are required.

Can anyone help here

Jim

OREP Insurance

Default Re: Stiebel - Eltron electric tankless water heater

Jim, I think you had a similar question just a few weeks ago.
    http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...tml#post243964

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Sorry Jim, I pressed enter before I finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    To me, it seems as though the codes do not address this as completely as I would like.
    Tankless WH manufacturers are just as vague in their instructions.
    So I would like to read more on the subject, ....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    The code does not have an exemption from tankless water heaters, and the code requires that the water heater be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions AND the code, and the code requires that the most restrictive takes precedence (hence the note as to where to install the T&P relief valve when the inspector addresses the tankless in accordance with the code).

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Sorry Jim, I pressed enter before I finished.
    Rick you are right and I went back and explored that. Titan said that if you have Pex piping then you must have 36 inches tail pipes which is what I wrote up and what the plumber installed at each of them.

In this situation it is copper piping and there is no mention of a PVR or extension. I do think there was mention on one model that if the cold water side exceeded 150 psi then you had a pressure device but not on this model.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM MURPHY View Post
    Rick you are right and I went back and explored that. Titan said that if you have Pex piping then you must have 36 inches tail pipes which is what I wrote up and what the plumber installed at each of them.

In this situation it is copper piping and there is no mention of a PVR or extension. I do think there was mention on one model that if the cold water side exceeded 150 psi then you had a pressure device but not on this model.
    It will likely take a while for the code writers to catch up with this technology. In the mean time, it is really up to the AHJ. My thoughts are; no need for a PVR, but a relief valve should be installed (at minimum) on cold water side between WH and shutoff.

It will likely take a while for the code writers to catch up with this technology. In the mean time, it is really up to the AHJ. My thoughts are; no need for a PVR, but a relief valve should be installed (at minimum) on cold water side between WH and shutoff.
    Thanks, great reply!

Many of the tankless units do not have a PRV, no where for the pressure to buildup without a tank. They have an internal device that shuts them down if it detects a pressure problem.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Many of the tankless units do not have a PRV, no where for the pressure to buildup without a tank. They have an internal device that shuts them down if it detects a pressure problem.
    Scott,

That internal device may be equivalent to the bimetal shut off switch at the thermostat on a tank water heater - those are the primary safety shut off protection, the T&P relief valve is secondary protection should the primary protection fail.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com