Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default Hideous Pointing

This was on another unit (not the one I was inspecting) but I couldn't help but snap a few pics.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Hideous Pointing

THE BLOB RETURNS

Talking Re: Hideous Pointing

Can't you tell that it was designed for the woman? Who cares about the outside... I bet the inside is immaculate.

chris mcintyre Guest

Hideous is a good start in describing this method.
    Brick masons hate it the most of anybody, they can't use there string/line as they normally do, and say you have to really pay attention and concentrate, because years of habit is to run the trowel across the face of the brick as soon as it is set in place. A lot of do overs for the masons on these jobs.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLIE VAN FLEET View Post
    THE BLOB RETURNS
    It's funny you mention The Blob Charlie. I live 10 minutes from the town where The Blob was made (Phoenixville PA). Every year, the town has a Blob-fest and celebrates the movie that put their town on the map.

Geez whats wrong with you guys? that the Rustic Look.

erika krieger Guest

These are called "weeping" mortar joints. Not particularly recommended for wet, harsh, exterior applications.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Bo Tasso Guest

It is called weeping mortar. Not my cup of tea but acceptable if in arid climates such as the SW according to the BIA.

I see it quite a bit in Northern IL where it shouldn't be used. Job security I guess.

Not so bad as a facade if protected by a large soffet on a ranch but if on a two story or an exposed chimney not so good.

I see a lot of homes here in the Dallas area with "weeping mortar". Some builders actually call it an upgrade.

The picture below Brian has on the site I actually took several years ago.

rick

I know the method is called weeping joints, I still think it looks lousy,also saves the masons a lot of time and labor = money

why do i think about the old phrase "polishing a turd" when i see this?

The problem ... er ... one of the problems ... with those weeping mortar joints is that, even worse then with tooled joints, the masons make an extra special effort NOT TO cut off the excess mortar on the outside of the walls, and, in making that extra special effort not to cut off the excess mortar they usually (from my experience) also completely fail to address cutting the excess mortar off the inside at the air space. This problem is even common with tooled joints, but when the mason is intentionally not addressing any excess mortar ... you know what the inside of that wall likely looks like.

Think 'air space bridged' ALL over the inside of that wall. We know water is going through those joints, and we are pretty sure the air space is bridged, and likewise pretty sure that the drainage plane is completely non-functional. That means those walls will likely leak much sooner than walls with tooled joints.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Terry Neyedli Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    This was on another unit (not the one I was inspecting) but I couldn't help but snap a few pics.
    Nick:
    I have also heard it called rustic flemish.
    This is a great place for all the lovely moss to grow.
    Not an ideal use in our weather.
    No picture as the building was destroyed about 5 years ago.

T.Neyedli CHI
    www.alphahomeinspections.ca

Steve Karr Guest

Cool Re: Hideous Pointing

I looks like the foreman told his crew, "If this wall is done by the end of the day, the first round is on me".

Jonathan Cartwright Guest

Talking Re: Hideous Pointing

Are you guys sure about this?

I'm thinking that the mortar is just fine but they used smaller bricks that don't stick out far enough to use all the mortar. Smaller bricks = Less Money = More beer.