Thread: two Inspectors

Cool two Inspectors

Ok, Today's inspection the realtor tells me that there will be a second inspector coming to the house in 30 minutes. The buyer wants two inspections because he is from out of state and the relocation company is paying for them. The buyer was not going to be there and I got credit card confirmation for the inspection fee. So? What do you think of this situation? I think I found some major defects that the other Inspector did not find, but he may have found more than I. Has anyone had this happen before?

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: two Inspectors

You mean to say you didn't talk to each other.

James Duffin Guest

I did an inspection last Saturday on a house that had been inspected last month and the deal fell through. The seller (I was told) had done all of the repairs on the first report except for the electrical. They were waiting for my report before they hired an electrician. I found lots of problems with the heating system and gas piping that was not on the first report. We were not there at the same time but I guess this is a similar situation. My client had a copy of the first report and was anxious to compare the two. This is kinda the same thing I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    Ok, Today's inspection the realtor tells me that there will be a second inspector coming to the house in 30 minutes. The buyer wants two inspections because he is from out of state and the relocation company is paying for them. The buyer was not going to be there and I got credit card confirmation for the inspection fee. So? What do you think of this situation? I think I found some major defects that the other Inspector did not find, but he may have found more than I. Has anyone had this happen before?
    I have had it happen a few times, the last time was in last October or November. This home was around 8,000sf and we both arrived at the same time. We knew each other as we are in the same ASHI chapter and have actually reffered folks to each other when one of use could not accommodate a time for the client.

I went one direction and he went the other. We crossed paths a few times during the 5 hours we were both at the home. The funny thing is that we both finished within 15 minutes of the other. We both joked about some odd things in the home and then we said our good byes to the agents and the clients business manager, the client was not in town so they handled everything. They even had a box lunch delivered for us and them!

That was pretty much how it went. Not a big deal and it was kind of fun.

A few weeks later at our chapter meeting we kind of compared our mental notes and we had no surprises.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Do your job and it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 07-29-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Do your job and it should be an issue.
    Huh???

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I've had it happen a couple times and didn't mind it at all.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Question Re: two Inspectors

Wayne, we talked to each other and I jokingly asked if he wanted to compare reports before we gave them to the realtor. We did discuses a few things but I did not feel that I should go over anything with him. I wonder how the buyer will react if there is a lot of differences in the reports. I wonder if the buyer would expect one of us to pass on our fee if one found something greater than the other? I know I called out for a structural engineer to look at a back patio with a 6 ft overhang that was drooping because there was no support post. I don't think he saw it. I guess time will tell.

No two reports will ever be the same. You could have one inspector who is over zealous while the other inspector only calls out the major stuff.

I suppose thats the luxury of having two reports, all bases are covered.

Yeah, I guess you have to play it by ear,
    I just always consider us as inspectors to be on the same side, and to help each other, as in the long run, it makes us stronger against the dark force. REB'S
    And as Rick so eloquently phrased it
    Do your issue and it should not be a job, or was it issue your job and it should not be the dooo!
    Absolutley right Rick, And we all knew what you were thinking when your fingers did the doo

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    Yeah, I guess you have to play it by ear,
    I just always consider us as inspectors to be on the same side, and to help each other, as in the long run, it makes us stronger against the dark force. REB'S
    It would be unprofessional to compare notes. That is collaboration (uncool). The contents of inspection reports should be confidential, at least until the client has seen them. We should follow Scott's example, a bit of light chit-chat, nothing more.

Test Inspection with Peer Review is exactly that, your inspection is checked over and compared with the those of the testers. Good exercise.

This AM, one of my pre-listing inspections fell into the hands of a potential buyer. They wanted to know if I'll do a walkthrough with them. No, conflict of interests I say. I recommended three other inspectors they can call. I'm sure that HI will see my report. I'm sure I'll hear about it next time we meet.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

What I meant to say was, Do your job and it shouldn't be an issue.

Just because another inspector is on the site at the same time shouldn't affect your inspection process or should you be concerned of whats on his report.

If he found an issue and you missed it, shame on you.

rick

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 07-29-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: dang it

[quote= They even had a box lunch delivered for us and them!

That was pretty much how it went. Not a big deal and it was kind of fun.
    .[/quote]

I have had lunch delivered once or twice in 8 years, and man, did it feel good. I eat a lot, so a sandwich really helped me get into a better mood.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Had an inspector tell me once that when he's at a vacant home, he'll call in a pizza to be delivered to the house he's at.

When the pizza guy shows up, he explains that the house is vacant and some of the neighborhood kids are probably just playing a prank on him.

He said he's got numerous free pizza's or got them for half price.

Everyone eat up tommorrow.

rick

How about 3 inspectors, I showed up to inspect a house and two code inspectors were there. One turned out to be my client and the other was his friend that teaches home inspectors. I just did my job as usual and thanked them for picking me.

Bruce King, B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
    www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
    Certified Master Inspector, Independent Inspectorwww.IndependentInspectors.org

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Mount View Post
    This happened to me on one of my first inspections, except we where not there on the same day. I was up against a veteran inspector, when it was all said and done we both missed a couple of minor things. It was a good test for me and I am glad it happen. I thing we should all start out this way

How about 3 inspectors, I showed up to inspect a house and two code inspectors were there. One turned out to be my client and the other was his friend that teaches home inspectors. I just did my job as usual and thanked them for picking me.
    Funny you say that. About a month ago I inspected a place for a code inspector (2nd go 'round). He shows up with another guy who ends up being his boss. After the walk through , my client laughed and said he was gonna give his boss some crap for missing a few of the blatant code violations I had come across. At the end, my client informed me that his boss was the inspector on that house.

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

Last month a lady called for an inspection. I set it up for 9:30 the next morning.

I got a call from her five minutes from the house (9:10).
    She asked if her husband had called me.
    No, he hadn't.

There were two other inspectors there, I saw their trucks, did not see them.
    (May have been Ted M.)

The husband comes out, asks my inspection price.
    "$400.00."

Too high!
    The wife apologizes..for the bidding war.

I got in the truck and left.

RANDY NICHOLAS Guest

Ted,

I thought I'd get you riled, mentioning your name.

The other inspectors had a licensed #10,xxx & #89xx on their trucks.

I knew it wasn't you.

I don't know the outcome, if they both did the house?

She paid me for the show-up $75.00, said she'll call me if things didn't work out with that house.

I said she can use the others and loose my number if that is the way her husband operates.

RN

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY NICHOLAS View Post
    Ted,

I thought I'd get you riled, mentioning your name.

The other inspectors had a licensed #10,xxx & #89xx on their trucks.

I knew it wasn't you.

I don't know the outcome, if they both did the house?

She paid me for the show-up $75.00, said she'll call me if things didn't work out with that house.

I said she can use the others and loose my number if that is the way her husband operates.

RN

actually the only reason I commented was that Realtor from Wednesday. I could not believe the audacity of the Realtor to be questioning me about anything and even when I set her straight on that she then proceeds with telling me how to explain findings from the inspection. Then proceeded in telling me that this is how the inspector (referred directly by him) explained things to the client. Find a little , find a lot, No big deal explanation. This keeps the Realtor happy and diminishes the findings from the inspection.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 08-06-2010 at 11:21 AM.

Well, we are about to find out the results of two inspectors on one house. The realtor called me today and asked me to meet with the buyer at the house in question on Monday to go over the report. I don't know if the other inspector will be there or not. I don't like surprise crap. I have a very short fuse when I am in a good mood, much less a unknown face to face confrontation with a buyer. Wish me luck, I'll post the results monday.

Tony,

Do you often go back to the home and go over the report with the buyer? If so, I hope you charge for your time in doing so. I might spend a little time with them on the phone if they couldn't make it to the inspection, but to go all the way back to the home again. Not happening here.
    Unless there is a check of course.

rick

David W Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Had an inspector tell me once that when he's at a vacant home, he'll call in a pizza to be delivered to the house he's at.

When the pizza guy shows up, he explains that the house is vacant and some of the neighborhood kids are probably just playing a prank on him.

He said he's got numerous free pizza's or got them for half price.

Everyone eat up tommorrow.

rick

Sorry to be a prude but that's just plain theft...........

Y'all are complaining about people price shopping you in your fields, calling you out and telling you "too high?" It's not even amusing.........theft of someone else's livelihood with a on the end .........

Last edited by David W; 07-30-2010 at 09:30 PM.

IMO... it's pretty lame of the buyers and agent to have both inspectors there together. Especially if they didn't pre-arrange it. That being said it wouldn't bother me too much. As I'm sure we all have, I've been faced with some strange/combative situations over the years. We all deal with it differently. I really don't ever feel threatened... usually, I walk away learning something from another contractor on site. Or, at least sharing a good story or two with him.

Getting all rigid and mighty and thinking nobody could ever find something you don't is crazy.... none of us are perfect and no two of us have the same background and find the same things.

I've never encountered another HI on a job but actually think it's a pretty good idea from a buyer's perspective... just not at the same time, ideally.

I've been tempted to say something like this to price shoppers: "I'll tell you what we can do. How about you hire me and the cheapest one you can find to do the inspection. We can all get together and compare our reports and findings at the end of the inspection. If the other guy finds everything that I do, then you don't have to pay me a dime"

Not that I expect them to take me up on it, but it may make them second guess using the cheap dude.

two inspectors hmmmmmmm which one do you believe or ask what time it is? a man with 2 watches never knows what time it really is if checking both. there are pros and cons with everything and 2 inspectors cost twice as much. are there going to be differences hell ya. should you be scared? No! you are hi's pro's. act accordingly. no one is perfect so what. go in do the best you can and if you can learn something great and move on. if you can't do that then you need to try something else. Being proud of what you do and how you do it, is nothing wrong with that. Just stay open to learning and improving what you do. This does not mean a realtor should tell you how to do your job. If they advise you of a problem fine but not how to do your report.

Rick free pizza is great but someone's got to pay/ Why should the pizza guy pay? that inspector has no respect for for others why should anyone trust him if he sells out for a pizza. An inspector makes good money so why does he need to rip off a pizza guy. for fun for profit for greed? hey for 20 bucks will he rewrite the report too? where does it stop? My integrity is not for sale. My opinion written up is as an Home Inspector
    be proud of who you are but don't sell yourself for a pizza

Well, the "company" inspector flew through the house in record time ... I would say maybe 45-minutes at most (house was 4500 s.f.) along with dangly, toolbelt and clicking away on PDA and actually walking past or not spending any time at many of the items that were 'deficient'.
    I'm not trying to defend the "company" inspector but I find it unfair that you're painting him in such a negative light.

I'm guessing the "company" inspector had a queue of finals to do that day so could not really deal with the details.
    As you stated the "company" inspector is most likely doing a bunch of these inspections. It could very well be that his PDA software contains every comment needed to address the problems of the house. He could be so used to seeing these problems from this particular builder that he doesn't need to spend much time at the items that were deficient.

Maybe not. Maybe he missed everything. But, unless you saw a copy of his report you'll never know.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rowe View Post
    I'm not trying to defend the "company" inspector but I find it unfair that you're painting him in such a negative light.

As you stated the "company" inspector is most likely doing a bunch of these inspections. It could very well be that his PDA software contains every comment needed to address the problems of the house. He could be so used to seeing these problems from this particular builder that he doesn't need to spend much time at the items that were deficient.

Maybe not. Maybe he missed everything. But, unless you saw a copy of his report you'll never know.
    Ken

I did not see Nolan say anything about you.

He said something about some loser that spent about one minute per square foot to do a final inspection. This was a new home. A final inspection gets everything checked included every grout line, cabinet mountings, plumbing , electric, etc etc etc I am not going to go thru the massive list.

A final inspection on a brand new home is unlike any existing home. This is a new home and everything in it better be in brand new, just finished, puffed, polished, spit shined, functional and in perfectly good order all the way down to joint compound on the window frames.

Ken.......................... 45 minutes...............4500 feet...........................brand new.........................final before closing.............................what is there to make comment about Nolans post.

PDA................he might be really used to it and it has every comment in it...............are you kidding and this is a joke or are you trying to defend yourself because you have done a 45 minute inspection for a final before closing on a 4500 square foot home.

It is absolutely, completely, undeniably, totally impossible. What is there not to understand about that.

I know the company he is talking about. They do inspections for builders at about 30 to 35 dollars a piece for six inspections. At 35 dollars it is not running to a job site and spending money on gas and of course the time to get there and the time to get to the next on.

Nolan deleted his post because he did not want to deal with your remarks but I am a bigger a$$ than most and I will deal with them all day.

This is the silliest statement of all

"But, unless you saw a copy of his report you'll never know."

It does not matter how many inspection he has done. You cannot do an inspection on a 4500 square foot home even if you are super man. The final hook up and operation of all the equipment, the electric panels, all the fixtures, connections, installation etc etc etc etc fit and finish. It is hard to open and close every window and door in 45 minutes in a 4500 sf home. What about the roof, grading, drainage, sprinklers etc etc etc etc etc etc

It is real nice of you to want to protect some poor soul because you are such a nice guy but there is no protecting this fool. There is no excuse for it. What part of totally impossible (and every single inspector, and there are thousands, on here will agree) do you not understand.

A builder cannot do a punch list of paint issues in 45 minutes on a thousand sf home with an assistant taking all the notes and catch anything never mind a 4500 sf home. Never mind a final inspection of the entire operation of the home.

well said Ted! Yes we don't know the quality of the other guy's report. but seriously, a 45 min inspection I would not take seriously. You get what you pay for and if there are 2 inspectors there and one takes 45 mins. guess what. someone knew the 45 min one was not worth the paper it was printed on so that is why a real proper inspector was there. bottom line do your personal best and not worry about the other inspector. if your inspection is better and more involed it will show and that is what you are getting paid for. Be proud of your work and who you are and the quality of work you produce. It will show and quality is always worth more than what you get with a low baller. Knowing the difference between quality and being ripped off is worth the time to find out and the money spent.

Ted,

No, Nolan didn't say anything about me nor did he say anything about you Ted. He admonished an inspector without having any facts to back up his statement. You felt obliged to answer so I'm answering you. That's how open forums work. I shouldn't have to explain this since you've been a member here for quite a while.

Please explain to me and the rest of us how you and Nolan know for a fact that items were missed and an incomplete inspection was performed.

Please explain to me and the rest of us how you know exactly what the other inspector was there for. This very well could have been a phase inspection. The foundation, roof, exterior, electrical, plumbing, etc etc could have already been inspected. This may have been a final of just the appliances.

How do you and Nolan know that this inspector hadn't been there for 4 hours earlier in the day, went to lunch and came back to finish the report?

Personally I don't jump to conclusions. I like to get all the facts before I start throwing out accusations. But you go ahead and think:

This is the silliest statement of all

"But, unless you saw a copy of his report you'll never know."
    What's silly is you keep making disparaging remarks about other inspectors when you don't know the full story.

To answer your question, yes I have done a 45 minute "final" inspection before. But I was there a total of 20 plus hours of inspecting for the entire build. The "final" was for paint and carpeting as everything else had been inspected the previous week.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 07-31-2010 at 08:51 PM.

I work with another inspector quite a bit on larger homes and every single time one of us sees something that the other missed. I'd jump at the chance to work with an inspector I didn't know - it's a learning experience for both. Sometimes the client sees something I missed. The point is the more eyes that are looking the more that will be seen and the better the inspection will be. Of course if you have an inflated ego or your pride is too sensitive then doubling up isn't for you.

For those of you who don't take advantage of teaming up with a fellow inspector once in a while I think that you're missing out big time - regardless of your experience.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Hi, ALL &

Only time that ever happened (2 for the same Client) was when the Hubby 'blew' it [had called me 2-3 days earlier about it & I called-back to confirm the day before and he said "Yep - see you there !"]. Arrived a bit early thinking all was kosher & then the Clients showed-up, with both sets of parents tagging-aling, with lots of chit-chat /commotion & we do our intros... Next, here comes a COMPETITOR, very surprisingly, within a few minutes - strutting his stuff; I introduce m'self politely & says "I'm ___________ (so and so) and what the H___ are YOU doing here !?"

At this point, the Clients realize something is very wrong & 'she' turns to her Hubby, saying "...what on earth have you done; you've booked TWO !?"

So - 'he' then sheepishly asks me what it'll cost to "dismiss" me, with apologies, admitting he mis-understood completely when I had called & thought I was the other guy. Then he does the same to the other, to see how little he'll now have to shell-out to carry-on with just one of us & obviously not wanting to pay full price for 2...

You could feel the electricity in the air & could've cut that tension with a knife. Finally, he comes back to me, digging cash out of his wallet, saying "#2" would cost more to dismiss, so he wants him to stay... We settle & I head-off for a nice coffee & that's all I know.

Closest 'other' time turned out to be some type of wide-open 'bidding' situation, with at least 2 (two) different Buyers calling their own Inspectors [unknown to us both] & #2 shows-up about 30m mins. after I start-in (Client there with me). I turn to him with a puzzled look & he just shrugs...

Introduce m'self to #2, next & we then assure each other we have different Clients, so we just dig-in /carry-on. He was a competitor (diff. Association) & completely unknown to me, but it turned out he was a very nice chap. We 'traded' some things on the crawlspace, verbally [he did that earlier than m'self] and I offered to allow use of my ladder already set-up to the roof edge & just otherwise stayed out of each others' way & it went really smoothly. No idea who actually bought, or if either did...

There was one more, where yet another 'competitor' arrived after me (was on the roof & had to scratch my head seeing that truck drive up & #2 walk up). Asked about the roof, I offered to leave my ladder set-up, if wanted, but wasn't about to offer-up anything...

We mainly stayed out of each others' way to the extent possible & ended-up I was asked for my "2nd opinion" on a number of things, even though #2 was a real veteran (knew that name already, for some years), all for that other Client & mine was quite fine with all going-on. Again, no idea who bought, or if both 'walked'.

CHEERS !

-Glenn Duxbury, CHI

Ron Bibler Guest

I have a twist on this... We did and inspection for a client the other day. contracts all signed. Then the mortgage company emails me and say that there name must be on the report in order to get the loan.

So now have the client signing a release to any rights to the report and all money paid. and the Mortgage Co. has signed a new contract with my company so that there name can be listed on the report.

So now the client no longer owns the report or has any rights to the report as it is own by the mortgage co. This is a first for me...

The buyers agent is not clear on why I wanted the buyer to sign a release of rights to the report and all money paid. I told her that I was not going to be under contract to the buyer and the mortgage co at the same time.

What do you think? was I correct ?

Best

Ron

Two inspections are better than one. What one inspector misses hopefully the other will catch. The end result is both inspectors end up protecting each other except if they both miss the same reportable defect.
    I would welcome another inspector, in fact the more the better.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Year ago (some older timers here will recognize the name) Norm Sage and I were both called out by a builder to inspect a house only partially finished. The builder was very dissatisfied with the shell contractor and wanted a thorough report so the builder could fire the shell contractor and finished with a new shell contractor.

Norm and I both stated that the entire building had to be torn down and rebuilt from the slab up and possibly even the footing and stem wall which we could not see, but with what we could see there was no reason to suspect that the footing and stem wall were any where near right either. This was a 23,500 square foot house. The builder then had us inspect another house, 25,000, and our reports where the same - bulldoze it and start over.

The slab was specified as being 6" and was only 4", everything got worse from that point up.

The builder fired the shell contractor but did not raze the houses, just tried to go from there.

The shell contractor sued, the clients sued (because the builder had to reports stating the houses should have been completely deconstructed and then reconstructed). The builder ended up losing his shirt for not following the advice Norm and I gave him, even after paying Norm and myself equally hefty inspection fees (if memory serves me correctly, each of my inspections were about $7,500 and Norm's were about the same).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bibler View Post
    I have a twist on this... We did and inspection for a client the other day. contracts all signed. Then the mortgage company emails me and say that there name must be on the report in order to get the loan.

So now have the client signing a release to any rights to the report and all money paid. and the Mortgage Co. has signed a new contract with my company so that there name can be listed on the report.

So now the client no longer owns the report or has any rights to the report as it is own by the mortgage co. This is a first for me...

The buyers agent is not clear on why I wanted the buyer to sign a release of rights to the report and all money paid. I told her that I was not going to be under contract to the buyer and the mortgage co at the same time.

What do you think? was I correct ?

Best

Ron
    It could be the new FHA inspection requirement. Something about if a house is sold, rehabbed and sold again in a 90 day period there must be a home inspection completed for the mortgage company. I've done a few of them in the past 2 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

Get honest Ken. The only reason you responded is because he used the term "company inspect" and that is what you are so you took offense.
    Wow Ted, now you claim to read minds. How impressive!

Actually the reason I responded is I'm tired of hearing a bunch of you blatantly cutting down other inspectors without having any information whatsoever. Just like you're doing now.

Ted Menelly Guest

Wow Ted, now you claim to read minds. How impressive!

Actually the reason I responded is I'm tired of hearing a bunch of you blatantly cutting down other inspectors without having any information whatsoever. Just like you're doing now.
    It is all right in front of you. All the info you need. No mind reading involved.

Regarding the two inspectors thread on one property; when one does legal EW work there is usually a scheduled inspection for all the EWs on the same day at the same time. It’s sort of funny when you go out to the property to do your inspection and find a situation that often requires a tour guide. Everybody is snapping pictures, measuring, and writing furiously in their note books. The attorneys, usually a newbie office associate as most of your legal firm partners are too busy for such nonsense as attending an inspection, try their best to influence everybody’s opinions, especially the ones hired by their office.

It is usually a fun day as we more often than not see the same faces and exchange war stories when the attorneys are out of sight. It’s all a game and you must know the rules and when a green EW shows up and asks other EWs what they think is wrong in front of the legal beagles they’re avoided like the plague.

All in all, the money is great and certainly performing EW work is a natural progression for all of our aging inspectors that are getting too lame to climb a ladder or do some serious crawling. Life is good!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Actually the reason I responded is I'm tired of hearing a bunch of you blatantly cutting down other inspectors without having any information whatsoever.
    KR -

You were not there. I was. I'm not saying anymore ... save for: "You need to button it up!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nolan Kienitz View Post
    KR -

You were not there. I was. I'm not saying anymore ... save for: "You need to button it up!"
    Then instead of deleting the post maybe you should have explained how you spoke with the other inspector, he shared his report with you, and you have first hand knowledge of what he was doing there and what, if anything, he missed. Short of speaking with him and viewing his report you really can't say for sure now can you? You can only assume, and that's something an inspector shouldn't do.

The shoe could be on the other foot here. The other inspector could have easily posted this on here:
    I was on a final inspection a couple days ago with another inspector. I was able to get it done in less than an hour because I was there 10 times on phase inspections plus I've been doing this so long I've got nearly everything as "canned comments" in my PDA. I couldn't believe how slow this other inspector was. You should have seen him stare at the deficient items like he didn't know what he was looking at. He was literally writing notes on a pad of paper! Then I saw him walk past deficient items without even noticing them. He must have been there 5 hours! Any inspector who knows what they're doing should have got it done in a lot less time.

Nolan, I wasn't there. You were. But there's always two sides to a story when 2 people are involved. Would you really like the other inspector to post things like this without knowledge of your side of the story? Show a little decency for your fellow inspectors.

In regards to the mortgage company wanting a report. Think about it. they just want to protect their interst. They are trusting you to give an honest report about the house so their interst is protected too. would you want to lend someone a ton of money on a house that should be bull dozed down? Seriously no! You are working directly for the buyer but the lender on the house wants in on the protection too. it is not in their interst to lend money on a bad investment cause the buyer could walk away and then the mortgage company is left on the hook. I have personally bought houses that the mortgage company had an appriaser come out and check it out. i had to pay for the report and not even get to see it. To me that was not right but that is how it worked as the appraiser was working for the bank not me. At least with 2 inspectors the customer gets to see both reports and has to decide which imformation is relevent and important to them to worry about. someone has to decide what to believe. As a buyer you want to be protected but also you want your lender comfortable that it is worth their while to lend you the money otherwise it is higher interst rates and maybe no loan. The home inspector's job is to report findings as they are. it is not our job to make sure the loan happens or not. It is to help the buyer in their decision as to if it is worth it or not to buy the house baised on the condition period. colours and styles are not our call but quality and rot and conditions are. let's try and keep politics out of our jobs and concentrate on giving our customers the best imformed opinion that we are being paid for. Be proud of yourself and other inspectors and work towards being the best you can and learn from others when you can. this is what this form is about also teaching and sharing war stories is a great thing too. don't go away mad just go away. You don't have to always agree with everyone but fighting over nuthing is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Year ago (some older timers here will recognize the name) Norm Sage and I were both called out by a builder to inspect a house only partially finished. The builder was very dissatisfied with the shell contractor and wanted a thorough report so the builder could fire the shell contractor and finished with a new shell contractor.

Norm and I both stated that the entire building had to be torn down and rebuilt from the slab up and possibly even the footing and stem wall which we could not see, but with what we could see there was no reason to suspect that the footing and stem wall were any where near right either. This was a 23,500 square foot house. The builder then had us inspect another house, 25,000, and our reports where the same - bulldoze it and start over.

The slab was specified as being 6" and was only 4", everything got worse from that point up.

The builder fired the shell contractor but did not raze the houses, just tried to go from there.

The shell contractor sued, the clients sued (because the builder had to reports stating the houses should have been completely deconstructed and then reconstructed). The builder ended up losing his shirt for not following the advice Norm and I gave him, even after paying Norm and myself equally hefty inspection fees (if memory serves me correctly, each of my inspections were about $7,500 and Norm's were about the same).
    $15,000 in inspection fees, Hope you both got paid before the builder went under

Ted,

What's with the "company" inspector agenda of yours? I've already explained my view has nothing to do with being a "company" inspector. But, even after my explanation you keep insisting that it is.

Please answer my previous questions.

How do you know for a fact that the inspector was there for a final inspection?
    How do you know for a fact that the inspector hadn't previously been there then came back?

You're assuming. Nolan said he didn't talk to the other inspector. Nolan implied he never saw the other inspector's report. How can you justify berating another inspector on assumptions?

You love to put words in other peoples mouths. Twisting others' words really make you look foolish. Did I actually say I did a final inspection in 45 minutes or did I say:
    To answer your question, yes I have done a 45 minute "final" inspection before. But I was there a total of 20 plus hours of inspecting for the entire build. The "final" was for paint and carpeting as everything else had been inspected the previous week.
    ??

If you would have asked instead of assuming...the beginning of the final inspection was completed on a Friday morning. Some of the carpet and paint needed to be corrected and was done on Saturday. The 45 minutes were spent on Monday morning checking the work that was done on the weekend. Do you and Nolan know for a fact that this isn't what happened with the "other" inspector.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 08-02-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Garton View Post
    $15,000 in inspection fees, Hope you both got paid before the builder went under

Yes we did.

Also got some expert witness fees too.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Last word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like Nolan said..................... He was there......not you.......he knows what went down.........You do not have a clue. You just want to keep pushing it. And yes Ken, you hated the "company inspector" comment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anymore words on this matter would be worthless and hopeless

Word

Just in case

Word

One more

Word
    Sorry Ted, I didn't realize you bought this site from Brian. You must have since you're now giving orders to people. Yes, Nolan was there, not me. But my comments were addressing Nolan, not you. But, since you apparently own the site, needed to put in your assumptions also.

By the way your ramblings reflect those of either a mentally unstable person or a desperate, out of work inspector.

So now you resort to physical threats. I'll stick by my statement:
    By the way your ramblings reflect those of either a mentally unstable person or a desperate, out of work inspector.

Can you guys give it a break? Sh*# is getting old.

rick

Don Burbach Guest

A friend of mine form a circle of friends is buying a house. I've made it a practice of giving a very substantial discount for friend' s home inspections.

The friend said that he was going to have two inspections because his 'Realtor' said he works with this great inspector and that he has COMPLETE trust that his Realtor has his interests in mind, and he wants to compare the two reports to see if we miss anything. WHAT???

After I came down for the ceiling, I thought for a minute and said that I would not participate.

Why would I want to get involved with a pissing contest for a home inspection and another inspector for a discounted price? I'm not worried about what I might miss, or may report differently, or might over or under report.... I am worried about creating strife for the buyer, not peace of mind. I didn't see my friend questioning my ability.......... nor did see it as getting a second opinion.

My feeling is that I work hard on my reputation for being through, fair, and reasonable. Yes, I am pissed that someone feels that he may pit two of us together and get a better result.

I'd feel differently if he wanted to get a second opinion on a particular item or two, but starting from the get-go is just plain starting off on the wrong foot!

I did say that I would walk-thru the house with him in a social context much the same as one bringing their family to see the house they were buying. But, it wouldn't be a formal inspection, nor anything structured or written.

Philip Guest

In the state of KY it is "significant defects" that is required of HIs. What some of you are implying is that we are responsible for doing a "check list" on new construction, i.e. paint chips, color not matching, trim a little out of whack, etc. Once again many in the profession are taking on responsibilities not intended by law. A new house has had the city or county building officials there already. The city inspectors have already signed off on the plumbing, electric, framing, and HVAC. Some of us in this industry want the profession to be the see all end all of real estate transactions. Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip View Post
    In the state of KY it is "significant defects" that is required of HIs. What some of you are implying is that we are responsible for doing a "check list" on new construction, i.e. paint chips, color not matching, trim a little out of whack, etc. Once again many in the profession are taking on responsibilities not intended by law. A new house has had the city or county building officials there already. The city inspectors have already signed off on the plumbing, electric, framing, and HVAC. Some of us in this industry want the profession to be the see all end all of real estate transactions. Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.
    Philip,

There are many different types of inspections. For example, since there is no state licensing in MN. I perform a home inspection to the ASHI standards (actually well above their standards). However, I also do commercial inspections, home check up inspections, and phase inspections on new construction. Of course the commercial, home check up, and phase inspections are not to the ASHI standards and they wouldn't be to state licensing standards either because they're not Home Inspections. While Home Inspections may be the main inspections I perform I'll pretty much inspect whatever my client wants me to inspect.

Here in the Twin Cities area there are also 12 different cities that have mandatory pre-listing inspections. Some of these are performed only by city inspectors, but most allow inspectors to contract with the city for these services. Each city has a different license (no reciprocity) and each city's criteria for the inspection is different and no where near the ASHI standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Burbach View Post

Why would I want to get involved with a pissing contest for a home inspection and another inspector for a discounted price? I'm not worried about what I might miss, or may report differently, or might over or under report.... I am worried about creating strife for the buyer, not peace of mind. I didn't see my friend questioning my ability.......... nor did see it as getting a second opinion.

My feeling is that I work hard on my reputation for being through, fair, and reasonable. Yes, I am pissed that someone feels that he may pit two of us together and get a better result.

I'd feel differently if he wanted to get a second opinion on a particular item or two, but starting from the get-go is just plain starting off on the wrong foot!

Don,

That situation displays the reason for no discounts. After all, inspecting is your job to keep the roof over your head. However, if a client wants to pay for two inspections so that they feel comfortable with the home they are purchasing----so what! As stated previously, something will be missed----it always is. With two reports, the chances of everything getting noticed is better than only one report. You should not take it as a personal affront. It's just business.

It gets tacky when both inspections are scheduled at the same time. This should not happen, and I feel (as a client) destroys the independence of the reports.

In projects, when I needed multiple quotes (construction), I would have everyone there at the same time to insure everyone got the same information.

But if I needed multiple inspections---I would schedule them on different days to protect the integrity of the reports and the inspectors egos.