Ron Bishop Guest

Default Re: foil backed roof sheathing

foil backed roof sheathing

roof sheathing with radiant barrier attached

radiant barrier roof sheathing

The foil is a radiant barrier which is peel and stick attached to the bottom of the roof sheathing.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jim Dull Guest

I believe it is called radiant barrier sheathing. There is an article about it at Fine Homebuilding - trusted residential construction, home design, and renovation articles, videos, magazines, and books

Ron Bishop Guest

thank you kindly

I recently saw a home where the sheeting was painted a silver color. This was on the back side of the sheeting. I was told they do that to reflect heat. Are they pulling my chain or is that something fairly new ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wieczorek View Post
    Are they pulling my chain or is that something fairly new ?
    Did any bells ring when they pulled the chain?

Actually, ... well, ... it 'seems to me' that silver paint would only reflect the heat in the attic back into the attic, and not have much effect on the heat coming through, then again, maybe it is like silvering on the back of glass ... it makes it a mirror, reflecting back out the way it came in.

I'd ask for some "documentation" on the paint, the process, its effectiveness, its application, and its acceptability for use as an approved product (i.e., *show me the product approval* ).

They should be able to provide *something* which backs them up, or I would not have any faith in it.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Smile Re: foil backed roof sheathing

The guy building this monster is the general contractor and appears to be in over is head. He's overspent his budget for the framing and roofing and now it seems to have a problem paying the contractor doing the stucco. He's a painter by trade who thought he could handle this, he's finding out there's more to it then he can handle. Seems like he was sold a bill of goods when they painted the inside of the sheeting with silver paint.

I saw the home when an inspector friend was doing a draw inspection. By the way Jerry there were no bells when my chain was pulled, thanks for asking.

Check out this link.
    http://www.sherwin-williams.com/pro/..._FactSheet.pdf

Radiant barriers of the foil film type typically claim about 97% effective at blocking radiant energy, while paints are down in the 60-70% range.

On a new home I would spring for the radiant barrier decking, not too sure about the paint.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/EH/EH24500.pdf Here is a article that Jerry P. helped pay for.

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 09-07-2007 at 03:10 PM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Eric Shuman Guest

I know this doesn't have much to do with the original topic but out of the 4 attics I have been in since Saturday (during afternoon inspections), 2 had the radiant barrier (foil type) in them and I could definitely tell a difference in the attic temperatures between those with the barrier and those without. All houses were similar in age and construction and the ones with the barrier were noticeably cooler judging by my sweat meter (shirt saturation ). I have yet to see the silver paint type unless you count the houses that had previous fires.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wieczorek View Post
    Seems like he was sold a bill of goods when they painted the inside of the sheeting with silver paint.

By the way Jerry there were no bells when my chain was pulled, thanks for asking.
    Bill,

That's the bell I was referring to.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Shuman View Post
    I have yet to see the silver paint type unless you count the houses that had previous fires.

Eric
    That's what came to mind...

imported_John Smith Guest

The paints are beginning to gain popularity around Houston.

Check out the Oak Ridge National Laboratory web site for studies on performance of radiant barriers.

Energy efficient roof coating from Sherwin-Williams
    ' + title + ' - ' + basename(imgurl) + '(' + w + 'x' + h +')

FYI-Some of the more progressive thinking builders in this area are starting to use radiant barrier as a underlayment for one coat stucco systems. It has the advantage of allowing the stucco subs to use the regular foam at the attic spaces instead of AIS board or R-Guard.

I'm sure the reduced heat is minimal tho, because they have yet to require the foil on the roof sheathing....oh, well, they are after all dinosaurs. I guess we should be thankful for the small steps...

Alan Miles Guest

I have read through the threads and found the info very interesting. I'm asking for comments on foil faced roof sheathing. In Charleston SC several track builders have started using a product called "THERMO BLOCK". It is a foil that is affiixed to the sheathing at the time of its manufacture. The side facing the attic has the foil on it. It can be peeled off easily which reveals a brown paper side that is bonded to the sheathing. One builder stated that it is being used to reflect radiant heat away from the attic to lower attic temperatures. I'm not convinced. If it is installed with the reflective side toward the attic how can it reflect solar energy back. My sensibility and over suspicious nature tells me that it would only reflect the heat back into the home. This would be great in the winter, but not the summer as they state. The foil side is stamped "INSTALL THIS SIDE FACING ATTIC". The other issue I question is since the sheathing is coated with this foil it would be much harder to detect a leak in the roof. With out the foil you can find most leaks by the moisture stained wood sheathing. With this product the moisture staining could be harder to detect. I think this will be a problem for inspection in future years. Any thoughts?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Miles View Post
    I have read through the threads and found the info very interesting. I'm asking for comments on foil faced roof sheathing. In Charleston SC several track builders have started using a product called "THERMO BLOCK". It is a foil that is affiixed to the sheathing at the time of its manufacture. The side facing the attic has the foil on it. It can be peeled off easily which reveals a brown paper side that is bonded to the sheathing. One builder stated that it is being used to reflect radiant heat away from the attic to lower attic temperatures. I'm not convinced. If it is installed with the reflective side toward the attic how can it reflect solar energy back. My sensibility and over suspicious nature tells me that it would only reflect the heat back into the home. This would be great in the winter, but not the summer as they state. The foil side is stamped "INSTALL THIS SIDE FACING ATTIC". The other issue I question is since the sheathing is coated with this foil it would be much harder to detect a leak in the roof. With out the foil you can find most leaks by the moisture stained wood sheathing. With this product the moisture staining could be harder to detect. I think this will be a problem for inspection in future years. Any thoughts?
    Be convinced.
    I can go into one attic, say at noon with a radiant barrier or foil backed sheathing and then go off to another inspection and go directly into an attic with out the radiant barrier, but almost identical volume and ventilation , as part of the OSB and there will be a minimum of 15 to 20 degrees. Usually in the 20 degree range. Any of the foil backed sheathing I have seen lowers the attic temp upwards of 20 degrees. It works and I believe a big savings over time to the client. Reducing the heat around the HVAC unit and duct work by 20 degrees is a no brainer for savings over time. The sheathing is n ot that much more to purchase.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 06-23-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Miles View Post
    One builder stated that it is being used to reflect radiant heat away from the attic to lower attic temperatures. I'm not convinced. If it is installed with the reflective side toward the attic how can it reflect solar energy back. My sensibility and over suspicious nature tells me that it would only reflect the heat back into the home. This would be great in the winter, but not the summer as they state. The foil side is stamped "INSTALL THIS SIDE FACING ATTIC". The other issue I question is since the sheathing is coated with this foil it would be much harder to detect a leak in the roof. With out the foil you can find most leaks by the moisture stained wood sheathing. With this product the moisture staining could be harder to detect. I think this will be a problem for inspection in future years. Any thoughts?
    Simple science Alan, the radiant barrier does not reflect but rather BLOCKS radiant energy. The radiant barrier has to face an air space to be effective and is the reason it is stamped to indicate the proper orientation. Radiant barriers installed on attic floors loose effectiveness when coated with dust not because they loose the ability to "reflect" heat when dusty but because the dust absorbs the energy and changes radiant energy to conductive energy. Do some research, radiant barriers work but are a little counter intuitive. Remember the space blankets and space suits back when the moon shot was going on?

Last edited by Jim Luttrall; 06-23-2010 at 05:03 PM.
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Risley View Post
    Having kept wireless thermometers around the home for years, I installed radiant (foil backed) osb during a reroof. During the hottest part of the day the attic sensor reported 18 to 20 degrees less than prior to the new roof. The finished roof was changed from cedar shake to dark gray class 4 composition. Thermostat controlled exhaust fans were operating with both roof types.

Note that foil is installed down to keep it clean and to prevent conductive transfer from the shingles. Also the foil should be perforated (pin pricks) so it does not be a moisture barrier. If the osb becomes wet this very thin perforated foil layer will most definatley not hide much osb damage. It will generally add 10 to 12 cents per sq ft to the osb cost. At the time of reroof if decking is to be replaced this is by far the cheapest way to fly. Silver paint is done a lot but I have not been convinced it would retain its reflective properties enough to make it pay out.
    The only thing I do not like about the spray on is that it is not perforated like the foil on the OSB. I hate the radiant barriers placed under the rafters as I feel that this void itself heats up and radiates heat that is gained in that pocket into the attic. Also the under rafter barriers make it impossible to see leaks or OSB deterioration. I don't feel the spray on will deteriorate any time soon. I believe it will always , even in the future some time out, have a reflective quality to it. I do not think the attic will ever heat up in the future before the spray on was applied. It should be cheaper that the tack/staple on material but it is. The labor is one tenth the time compared to installing the barrier by hand.

.10 to .12 cents a foot is a rip off for foil faced board but I guess why not rip folks off if they are going to save money over time. It just takes time to re-coop the initial cost of purchase and installation before you start saving.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Risley View Post
    since the two ply screed reinforced foil sells for 10 to 50 cents or more per foot the manufacture of the foil backed osb can charge it and the consumer only has to pay one installer so he saves that way too. If foil backed osb becomes the volume product over regular osb, then perhaps the price difference would be less. One other disadvantage of the radiant osb is that due to the reflected radiation, the temperature of the roof material itself will be higher than if there were no radiant barrier below it. This could affect the life of the roof material...depends on several things. I reccomend continous ridge and soffit vents even more strongly if foil is installed on the underside of the rafters.
    JR
    Oh shoot. Here we go. I cannot believe I am about to do this..............

Yeah.................Like Aaron said

Actually I would have said just about everything Aaron said including what he put links up for.