Default Fan speed DPT settings

Does anyone here have any experience in messing with DPT switches on the GE variable speed furnace blower motors? I need to adjust the manual "on" fan speed on mine.

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper
    Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Default Re: Fan speed DPT settings

Bump.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Bump.
    Okay, here goes ... Not me.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Does anyone here have any experience in messing with DPT switches on the GE variable speed furnace blower motors?

I need to adjust the manual "on" fan speed on mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Okay, here goes ... Not me.
    Surely one of the hvac Guys.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I can adjust mine by removing the wire from the blade on the control board and sticking it on a different blade terminal. It's a three speed motor, but I'm not sure about the DPT switches.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

This is one of the newer technology DC variable speed motors that is computer controlled.
    Old school stuff I can handle but the computer controlled stuff was just coming out back in the dark ages when I was in A/C school. The dpt switches are on the circuit board and I need a magnifying glass just to see the things!
    I asked the installer to make it so that it would run at slow speed as advertised for energy efficient air mixing but now I have decided that a higher speed is needed when in the manual "on" thermostat setting.
    My office is set up in the bedroom on the west side of the house and that room roasts with the sun and computer heat when there is no A/C running. I need more airflow to balance the temp during the off cycle.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

My office is set up in the bedroom on the west side of the house and that room roasts with the sun and computer heat when there is no A/C running. I need more airflow to balance the temp during the off cycle.

Same here, so ... ... I installed a ceiling fan. It is currently 79 where the interior thermometer is setting on the wall (exterior temperature is 77), but the ceiling fan makes it feel much cooler.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

83 outside right now with 78 in the living room (center of the house) but 82 in the corner with my computer with the ceiling fan running. I gave up and turned the A/C down a few degrees.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Jim,

Live on the edge and change the duct diameter to your office.

When I changed all the flex duct in our house a couple years ago I did some verifying with my HVAC contact and ended up running a larger diameter duct to my office from the plenum. It already had a direct feed so the increased diameter has helped substantially.

It gets plenty cool when the unit is on, it is these days when it is not warm enough to keep the unit on that kills me.
    With the unit off, the temperature was 5-6 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. Run the unit and I can cool it down quick, matter of fact, this is the coolest room in the house during the summer when the unit is running. It is not the amount of cooling but rather the amount of heat gain from the western exposure and the electronics. I am thinking of solar screen or film over the west windows, but for now I would just like to circulate a little more of the cooler air from the rest of the house without running the A/C.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Thanks Fritzkelly,
    That may be the answer even though I don't like it. GE makes the motors for everybody so I am sure that will apply especially since Goodman (my brand) owns Amana now

Thermostat “Fan Only” Mode
    During Fan Only operations, the CFM output
    is 30% of the cooling setting.
    That may be the reason there are no instructions on how to set the fan only speed, it is preset at 30%.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas