Default Can't make this stuff up

Ceiling light not working on second floor, so client removes globe to check it out. Hey! What the...! Globe is FULL of water, and by appearance of fixture, probably has been for a while.
    Ok, we knew there was a leaking shower on the third floor, but who removes light globes to look for water?!

globe.jpgglobe rust.jpg

Inspection Referral
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: Can't make this stuff up

Shocking! Oh well, at least it wasn't a leaking toilet.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Holy Toledo, that leaking toilet comment reminds me of inspecting an old house converted to a four-unit. Down in the basement when one of the upper units flushed. Heard the water coming down the pipe, but it sounded "different," so I stood back about 15 feet. Yep - it was coming down the outside of the soil pipe.

Randall Aldering GHI BAOM MSM
    Housesmithe Inspection
    www.housesmithe.com

Smile Re: Can't make this stuff up

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Ceiling light not working on second floor, so client removes globe to check it out. Hey! What the...! Globe is FULL of water, and by appearance of fixture, probably has been for a while.
    Ok, we knew there was a leaking shower on the third floor, but who removes light globes to look for water?!

globe.jpgglobe rust.jpg
    You obviously no nothing of the 3Stooges

Gives new meaning to CFL; Compact FLOATING light

Over the years, I've encountered several interior light fixtures partially full of water. Think of it as a good earth stewardship thing, providing a source of water for insects residing in the fixture to lay their eggs in.

I'll never forget the vacant tri-level I inspected a few years ago. I had partially filled the upstairs bath tub, and then emptied it to check its drain function. Had to run out to the truck to get something (through the garage), where I was greeted by little Niagara Falls coming through the garage ceiling--a literal torrent of water, dumping from a major leak in the tub drain adjacent to a ceiling light fixture and onto the floor. It explained why the seller had recently painted part of the ceiling, just around that light fixture (but none of the others), in an effort to hide the water stains that must have been there. A short time later the listing agent showed up, and had the nerve to ask why I had poured water onto the garage floor. She was very unhappy when I showed her where it was coming from, giving me one of her best "deal-killer" looks.