Larry O'Connor Guest

Default Asbestos Siding question from new member.

Hello everyone, This is my first post here. I hope to get some feedback on this.

Although I've been an inspector for several years, business has not been good, however, the inspections still trickle in.

My question is in regards to identifying asbestos siding. Is there a way to identify it, or should I refer my suspicions to an asbestos expert?

These are photos I took today when I was there for another reason. I perform the actual inspection on Thursday.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Asbestos Siding question from new member.

Tons of that around here, including on my house, and yes, that is most likely asbestos containing siding. I report it as "probable" asbestos siding. To be sure it would have to be tested. But it rarely is a big problem, at least in these parts. Inspectors say "it could be more costly to dispose of", but honestly, I have yet to run into anyone who really had a problem with it. It is a long-lasting material, as long as you don't try to nail through it without drilling first. And I tell clients to avoid sawing it or doing anything else that will put a bunch of it into the air to breath.

Larry,
    I can't actually tell you the size dimensions, I just know it when I see it.
    If it is an older thin siding that feels denser than fiber cement siding, I would say it does contain asbstos. That first picture in your post looks like it is an asbestos containing product.

John,

Drilling might put some of it into the air too.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

It's a miracle we don't all have asbestosis and mesothelioma. For decades, every time someone put their foot on the brake pedal, a little asbestos went into the air.

David Banks Guest

Larry. Looks like Asbestos Cement to me also. See it here in older homes.
    CEMENT/ASBESTOS SIDING:
    : Siding may contain asbestos. Local and federal laws dictate proper disposal.
    : Lab testing is only way to verify. Recommend EPA web site for more information. Asbestos | US EPA
    : Repair of asbestos cement siding is not possible. Try to locate siding that is similar and replace the bad sections.
    : Journal of Light Construction May 2007-Matching Asbestos cement siding. 4x8 sheets of Hardiepanel are ripped into similar widths then a jigsaw is used to scallop the lower edges.

As the posters above note, based on visual appearance you can only identify a siding as "possibly asbestos containing" - ”similar in appearance to siding known to contain asbestos” is how I report it.

That said, "typically":

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Larry O'Connor Guest

Smile Re: Asbestos Siding question from new member.

Thank you very much for your responses. They are very helpful.

GAF makes fiber-cement replacement shingles to match several asbestos-cement siding patterns:

Weather Side Siding Page

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
    GAF makes fiber-cement replacement shingles to match several asbestos-cement siding patterns:

Weather Side Siding Page
    And note the cut & punch tool there also. Asbestos siding must have been big in the 40's & 50's. My dad was a general contractor and had 2 or 3 of the combo cutter and punch tools along with a good quantity of left-over asbestos shingles. When really bored, I would cut and punch shingles just to make a mess. Hey! At least I wasn't playing with the gasoline blow torch (yet).

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

I also tell the client it would cost an extra $1.50 - $2.00 per square foot to remove if they ever wanted to or if they were made to do so before demolition. If it weren't bad for you it would be a really good product. Stuff lasts forever without painting and it's fireproof.

David Banks Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Barnicle View Post
    I also tell the client it would cost an extra $1.50 - $2.00 per square foot to remove if they ever wanted to or if they were made to do so before demolition. If it weren't bad for you it would be a really good product. Stuff lasts forever without painting and it's fireproof.
    I agree. Some of the best/longest lasting siding I have seen.

Randy Clayton Guest

Yea that was asbestos type siding. My grandpa put up many houses with this material. Strangely thoough as a home owner you can bg it up and put it to the curb. How ever call a contractor to remove it and you have a lot of red tape to go trough as a long with a lot of cash!!!

Randy Clayton Guest

Although its there its your obligation to tell them what you think it is and make them aware of the situation and let them decide what to do from there:It's not our job to reccomend removal.

Joseph P. Hagarty Guest

Asbestos Tile Cut & Punch Tool....

Matt Bezanson Guest

Here's a couple of interesting points. First, has anybody seen a product that looks like that, same thickness, brittleness, etc. that was not asbestos?

Here in southeast Michigan, we have one suburb that regulates the stuff. Their ordinance says that you aren't allowed to cover it up. If you don't like its looks, you have to have it professionally removed. Otherwise, leave it in place, do good maintenance, just don't side over it. I haven't heard of anyone else taking that stand, but it makes sense to me.

Detroit Matt

Neil Moore Guest

It looks to me like that is asbestos siding. My father (an architect) installed it on his house in Sacramento in about 1937. Still looks good. He had the first "white" color as prior to that, all of the siding available was grey. Remember the saw cutting and the punch machine. Also remembered not to try to clean out the dust from the punch machine with little fingers when someone is using it!

Neil Moore, SE

If you are not sure weather material contains asbestos or not you are to treat it as PACM (Presumed Asbestos Containing Material) untill you have a bulk sample analysis done on it to determine weather it is ACM or not.