Default opposing flue pipe

Hi everyone:

We are first time home buyer and we got our house inspected last Sunday. The house was originally built as a single family but was converted to a two family later on. The inspector pointed to us that the furnace has opposing flue pipes which is bad for venting. Could anyone give some comments on it? Is it an issue that has to be fixed?

oppose.jpg

Thanks,
    Harry.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: opposing flue pipe

Appliances that vent to a chimney rely on the draft from the chimney to vent combustion products. They do not force the combustion products into the chimney. I suppose his concern is that one will operate and discharge combustion products out of the draft hood of the other. This should not be an issue. I don't think it is a concern.

Thanks Mark. It is glad to know that it is not an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reinmiller View Post
    Appliances that vent to a chimney rely on the draft from the chimney to vent combustion products. They do not force the combustion products into the chimney. I suppose his concern is that one will operate and discharge combustion products out of the draft hood of the other. This should not be an issue. I don't think it is a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by harryhk View Post
    Thanks Mark. It is glad to know that it is not an issue.
    He did not say it is not an issue. He said he doesn't think it is an issue.

We need more information. If that is an old brick chimney, is there a metal liner installed? No, because then the two opposing pipes would need a Tee shoved in there and you can't shove a Tee through a small round hole. So the flue is possibly sized for an oil burner or wood stove, and if it is an older home, the flue liner is old bricks with mortar falling out or washed out from having no cap. We need to know more about that house and the appliances.

You can take free advice from us here or you can send a professional out to the house and get a professional onsite opinion, your choice. That is what your HI is saying too, I think.

Last edited by John Kogel; 08-12-2015 at 06:05 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca