Thread: PVC supply line

Default PVC supply line

How often do you see PVC main supply line? I know I havn't been inspecting that long but this is the first time I have seen PVC as a main supply line.

It's a private well and there is no shut off valve at the point of entry.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: PVC supply line

Quite common, but it should enter the structure, it needs to be changed to something else (CPVC, copper, etc.) before entering the structure.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Here in Illinois they allow PVC to be used for a supply from a private well or a city main, also PVC is allowed to be used for cold water supply within the building. Now that is Illinois Plumbing Code. Still would have to check with the County, Municipal, Township or City codes, they can make their codes stricter than the Illinois code.

Now about the shutoff, since it is from a well. your shut off for the supply is turning off the breaker to the well. Usually they install the shut off after the well bladder tank, and then start piping from there with the "preferred" piping like copper, pex, CPVC and so on.

A.D. Miller Guest

CPVC is much better, it freezes and breaks more quickly so that you can early on replace it with the copper you should've used in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hasil View Post
    Here in Illinois they allow PVC to be used for a supply from a private well or a city main, also PVC is allowed to be used for cold water supply within the building.

Ron,

Interesting information as most things in the Illinois and Chicago codes are overly restrictive, yet here is an item which other codes do not allow, making it overly permissive.

Interesting that usually the Illinois code is more restrictive.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    CPVC is much better, it freezes and

Aaron,

You have forgotten the golden rule ... "it freezes" ... all water piping is required to be below frost depth, within the thermal envelope of the structure, or protected from freezing by insulation or heat tape ... or we take all of your gold and give it to the next guy who has the brains to do so.

Stupid people should not have gold, don't you know that?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Aaron,

You have forgotten the golden rule ... "it freezes" ... all water piping is required to be below frost depth, within the thermal envelope of the structure, or protected from freezing by insulation or heat tape ... or we take all of your gold and give it to the next guy who has the brains to do so.

A good example of making sure the water service pipe is buried to the proper depth here in Illinois. The code states the line must be set 36" deep or below the frost line. When you get to the northern half of Illinois most of the counties changed the code to read the water service pipe must be set 60" deep or deeper as need to be below the frost line.

As I explain to lots of my customers that get their hands on the Illinois plumbing code and start to tell me " According to the code book this or that is allowed", that the Illinois plumbing code is the minimum allowed. Municipalities can make the code stricter, but nothing less than what the state requires. Now the Chicago Plumbing Code is real strict compared to the Illinois code, and trying to read the Chicago Code book gives me migraines.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Aaron,

JP: But, you are forgetting that, to Southern builders, the attics are "inside of the house", right? Unless, of course, we are wanting to vent the exhaust fans there to save money. Then they are "inside" of the house. The same is true of the crawl space, correct?

And, if we have CPVC or PVC in a non-continguous garage wall, of course there's not need for insulation in the wall, so why insulate the pipes? Costs more money. Let's not.

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    JP: But, you are forgetting that, to Southern builders, the attics are "inside of the house", right?
    Aaron,

Ah, but I did not say "inside the house" did I?

I said "within the thermal envelope of the structure", and I said it precisely for that reason - knowing that some think and say "inside the house".

And, if we have CPVC or PVC in a non-continguous garage wall, of course there's not need for insulation in the wall, so why insulate the pipes? Costs more money. Let's not.
    Regardless of where the water pipes are, even in a non-heated structure (which is design for no human occupancy or habitation), then the water pipes STILL need to be protected from freezing - by one of the approved methods: within the thermal envelope of the structure (in there case there is non); by insulating the pipes; by heat tape; by both of the latter.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

We don't allow no stinkin' PVC supplies lines in this town. Most (if not all, have to check) occupancies we don't even allow vinyl supplies from the cock to the fixture.
    Some of the articles I've read have stated that the problem isn't the pipe but ... organics attacking the glue and movement cracking joints. I've seen a website (I think out of minnesota) from a company that makes underground PVC with compression joints that is widely used.
    But hey what do I know, I'm from the land of Galv and CU

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    We don't allow no stinkin' PVC supplies lines in this town. Most (if not all, have to check) occupancies we don't even allow vinyl supplies from the cock to the fixture.
    Some of the articles I've read have stated that the problem isn't the pipe but ... organics attacking the glue and movement cracking joints. I've seen a website (I think out of minnesota) from a company that makes underground PVC with compression joints that is widely used.
    But hey what do I know, I'm from the land of Galv and CU

There are parts of Chicago that has PVC water mains now. It blew me away to see that but I guess they are slowly updating their codes. I do not know if you inspect beyond Chicago though , but outside of Chicago depending on the city or town your in, some just follow the State code blindly and allow PVC for water service piping and for cold water piping with in the building. Granted not very common in the Northern counties.

Chicago also has changed their codes to allow PVC DWV piping in residential buildings only up to 3 unit buildings though. Also noticed they do not require a grease trap on single family homes as well. My trouble is I am a service plumber so I do not find out about these code changes till I come across them or learn them in my continued education class.

Ted Menelly Guest

There use to be municipalities here and there in many states that allowed PVC for cold water lines in the homes and CPC for hot. Neptune Beach Florida was one for a short time. When I inquired about it I heard of a list stretching across the country that allowed it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    How often do you see PVC main supply line? I know I havn't been inspecting that long but this is the first time I have seen PVC as a main supply line.

It's a private well and there is no shut off valve at the point of entry.
    We see PVC coming from the well in rural areas. Good or bad, it is there and acceptable in my limited view.
    There should be a main shutoff valve, and it may be out by the well head, in a pump house if there is one. Submersible pump - the shutoff is usually installed up at the house at or near the point of entry. It needs to be accessible, #1.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I can't make out the markings on the PVC in the photo but I'd be more concerned about the fitting (elbow) not being appropriate for potable water supply, looks more like a conduit piece (or irrigation or central vacuum) fitting to me (IOW I've not seen such a bend piece on the supply). What is coming through the masonry - before the fitting - galvanized?

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 04-05-2009 at 10:56 AM.

That 90 degree elbow looks like a standard pressure type elbow fitting for Schedule 40 PVC.

It could be female threaded on the wall end but it is a slip glued joint on the inside upward facing end of the elbow. I suspect it is slip/slip though.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com