Cobra Cook Guest

Red face carbon monoxide detector

Opinion? Gas furnace, gas hot water heater in attic of newly built home. Would a CO detector?

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: carbon monoxide detector

If you are asking should a CO detector be installed in the house my answer would be yes. I think you are wondering because the equipment is in the attic which is not living space.

The thing to realize is this. If a heat exchanger cracks, the CO can be introduced into the supply air coming from the air handler. Regardless of where the equipment is located, a malfunction can still introduce CO gas into the living space.

Bob Spermo Guest

Cobra,

I would still recommend a CO detector. However, I would also advise that the CO detector sound a warning at 5 - 9 ppm CO not the standard 75 ppm CO detectors that you buy at the big box stores. The Co standard now only "allows" 9 ppm in the home's ambient air.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    Cobra,

I would still recommend a CO detector. However, I would also advise that the CO detector sound a warning at 5 - 9 ppm CO not the standard 75 ppm CO detectors that you buy at the big box stores. The Co standard now only "allows" 9 ppm in the home's ambient air.
    Where are you going to get a CO detector that sonds below 10? It could not be UL approved.

Bob Spermo Guest

Robert,

Try the National Comfort Institute.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Spermo View Post
    Robert,

Try the National Comfort Institute.
    HAdnt seen that one but it sounds at 15 and 35 PPM. CO Experts has one that sounds at 10 PPM

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hronek View Post
    HAdnt seen that one but it sounds at 15 and 35 PPM. CO Experts has one that sounds at 10 PPM

The NCI model displays a visual reading at 5 PPM and alarms at 15 PPM, at 70 PPM it can't be shut off.

The alarm standards the NCI model uses are all based off of world health organization standards.

The CO Experts has no delay on it so if it sees a quick spike of CO it will go off at 10 PPM.

Both are great models and offer true protection.

Measured Performance more than just a buzzword