Ludwig Maxwell Guest

Default Cracks in 10 year old block home

Inspection on a 10 year old Florida home that has cracks every 5 to 10 ft with cracks running from the bottom to the top in a vertical and horizontal pattern.This home has poured slab with reinforced re-bar walls at corners and window edges. There are many different types of cracks. Most notable cracks start from the bottom at 1/16" to the top as fine as a hairline. The cracks run straight up the wall ( wider part at the bottom.) Cracks were not visible on the inside drywall or ceiling. Typically, the above mentioned cracks are settlement cracks and should be repaired to prevent water penetration. However since these so many cracks all around the house, a engineer was recommended to evaluate the house issue. Still working on uploading pic. How would you call this?

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Ludwig Maxwell; 01-13-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    Crawl Space Creeper

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Cracks in 10 year old block home

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Maxwell View Post
    Inspection on a 10 year old Florida home that has cracks every 5 to 10 ft with cracks running from the bottom to the top in a vertical and horizontal pattern.This home has poured slab with reinforced re-bar walls at corners and window edges. There are many different types of cracks. Most notable cracks start from the bottom at 1/16" to the top as fine as a hairline. The cracks run straight up the wall ( wider part at the bottom.) Cracks were not visible on the inside drywall or ceiling. Typically, the above mentioned cracks are settlement cracks and should be repaired to prevent water penetration. However since these so many cracks all around the house, a engineer was recommended to evaluate the house issue. Still working on uploading pic. How would you call this?
    You called for an engineer and rightfully so. Cracks every 5 to 10 feet around the home. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. No 10 year old home or even an old home should have that many cracks in it. Obviously very pour site work and slab work.

Default Re: Cracks in 10 year old black home

Are you seeing actual cracks or is the "faux stucco" applied too thin, allowing the mortar joints to become very visible? Pics would help.

tell me you don't take pictures

"Cracks in 10 year old black home"
    What do you mean by "black home"? Is this some Florida term I am not familiar with?

Ludwig Maxwell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    "Cracks in 10 year old black home"
    What do you mean by "black home"? Is this some Florida term I am not familiar with?
    Sorry for the typo it is a block home.

Ludwig Maxwell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    tell me you don't take pictures
    All inspection or 150 + pic per inspection with date stamp but still working on how to post them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Maxwell View Post
    All inspection or 150 + pic per inspection with date stamp but still working on how to post them.
    Ludwig,

There is a size limit of 194 k and or 800 x 600 to upload to the forum .

I use Bome's Image Resizer Download - Softpedia .
    After typing your message ,scroll down and click on the upload photos box, click browse , double click your photo , click upload , choose another photo or exit.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Billy Stephens; 01-17-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: from posting to typing
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

OK, glad to hear it, get the posting thing down, it will help alot.
    i was confused by the black thing too.
    what else is new!

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    i was confused by the black thing too.
    what else is new!
    Here Ya Go Wayne some Locale Music to WOO Them Asian Flowers.
    Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five--Is You Is Or Is You Ain't - YouTube

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Do the cracks zig-zag along the mortar joints or just run vertically and horizontally? Your description makes it sound like the walls a mix of masonry and poured concrete. Sounds like the walls were seriously under-reinforced and/or improperly reinforced. Pictures would definitely help...

Thom Huggett, PE, SE, CBO

Ludwig Maxwell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Huggett View Post
    Do the cracks zig-zag along the mortar joints or just run vertically and horizontally? Your description makes it sound like the walls a mix of masonry and poured concrete. Sounds like the walls were seriously under-reinforced and/or improperly reinforced. Pictures would definitely help...

There all the above. A engineer did look at the house he said it is bad but there older and more then normal cracks but the house did pass his inspection. He told my client it was a good call and she is very happy.

Thank you for your time and sorry for not posting picture. If any one like I can email some to you.