Thread: Cut glue lam

mathew stouffer Guest

Default Cut glue lam

This is a single family home built in 2001. The glue lam has been "notched". The lam is 5x15. Is this acceptable if the engineer approves the installation? I identified it as a notched beam which needs to be evaluated.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Cut glue lam

Matt,

This is a good size beam and difficult to know if the notch is OK. Is this for a two story home?

Normally I would refer it out to an engineer but if the local building department is friendly and accessible you could find out if the framing was inspected and approved. I doubt this is a homeowner modification and suspect that the beam was over sized to begin with.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Does not look right ,especially with the wood blocks being used for extra support.
    Defiantly would recommend further evaluation from what I can see.

Off topic I see water on the tarp and question the drain supports.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Elliott View Post

Off topic I see water on the tarp and question the drain supports.
    Proper 1/4 inch per foot slope?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Mathew, you did right, notching a glu-lam is a no-no unless blessed by an someone with PE after their name.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Proper 1/4 inch per foot slope?
    4 foot spacing required and I can see how the elbow might pop up from the weight going to the right. (Back to subject)

mathew stouffer Guest

Its a two story home, 4000ft. Im going to pass it off, the buyers are lawyers and I don't want to deal with the backlash

I don't get it - is this built on the foundation of an old house or something? Why are the walls incomplete?

Strange that there's the big gap between the beginning of the notch, and where it has to be to accomodate the wall. As if they hadn't put a planned stone in.

If that little post is securely attached to a stable base the beam's probably fine, but I can see how you'd want to CYA.

Do HIs routinely ask whether architectural plans are available when inspecting newer houses?

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

The beam is made up of 10 layers and a full three have been cut out and a section of the 4th so a full 1/3 of the beam has been removed. Proper planning prevents this type of stuff from ever happening.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    Its a two story home, 4000ft. Im going to pass it off, the buyers are lawyers and I don't want to deal with the backlash
    Wise move to allow an engineer to accept the responsibility for the load consultations which are required to accept the installation or reject the installation.

Since the clients are lawyers you may want to couch your response with " Engineer required to determine allowable load calculations for altered beam installation... " or something to that effect.