Thread: t in tprv

Default Re: t in tprv

Likely, the device that is barely visible on the cold water inlet side is a Pressure Relief Valve.
    When water pressure exceeds a set point it opens. The water is then exhausted into the discharge pipe of the TPR valve. This is not allowed because the TPR discharge is not allowed to have a Tee installed in the line. Otherwise it should not cause a problem. But it is wrong.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    Likely, the device that is barely visible on the cold water inlet side is a Pressure Relief Valve.
    When water pressure exceeds a set point it opens. The water is then exhausted into the discharge pipe of the TPR valve. This is not allowed because the TPR discharge is not allowed to have a Tee installed in the line. Otherwise it should not cause a problem. But it is wrong.
    here's a closer view of the topcloser view.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Thornburg View Post
    here's a closer view of the topcloser view.JPG
    Only a slightly better view
    Does not alter my first opinion.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Not allowed by code.

That said, some AHJ seem to not 'see the problem with it' and 'overlook it' (I don't want to accuse them of 'allowing' something not allowed by the code).

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks guys.....my concern was not only the t but that it appeared to be connected to the water line which I had not seen before. I was wondering if you guys had any info on the that type of pressure relief valve that rick mentioned? Thanks....

Thanks guys.....my concern was not only the t but that it appeared to be connected to the water line which I had not seen before. I was wondering if you guys had any info on the that type of pressure relief valve that rick mentioned? Thanks....
    That pressure relief valve on the cold pipe is a cheap alternative to an expansion tank, AFAIK.
    I have a better pic of one somewhere, but try a google search. The discharge pipe from that valve can just drop into the drain pan, or into a bucket, because very little water comes out of it under normal conditions. I am not a plumber.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    That pressure relief valve on the cold pipe is a cheap alternative to an expansion tank, AFAIK.
    I have a better pic of one somewhere, but try a google search. The discharge pipe from that valve can just drop into the drain pan, or into a bucket, because very little water comes out of it under normal conditions. I am not a plumber.
    My neighbor, retired plumber/co. owner, likes the relief valves better. He says they replace a lot of rusted expansion tanks but have not had any problems with valves. Not sure if they are any cheaper either.

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I was wondering if any product literature was available? I can't find any for this use.

I was wondering if any product literature was available? I can't find any for this use.
    Google thermal expansion device for water heater

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

What about the galvanized water lines? I always write them up as they eventually become a problem. Looks like you can already see some rust at the connections but its hard to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Starkey View Post
    What about the galvanized water lines? I always write them up as they eventually become a problem. Looks like you can already see some rust at the connections but its hard to tell.
    Good eye.....yes I mentioned the corrosion in my report along with three other things.......I wanted to thank everyone for their help......

I believe the name for this type of device is a "thermal expansion ball valve". I see them here all the time, occasionally I see them running constantly when they should only release when pressure increases from thermal expansion and that is usually accompanied by high water pressure with no or broken pressure relief valve on main service line. They can also serve to keep the floor drain trap primed. Link follows: http://media.wattswater.com/PG-ThermExpansion.pdf

Tom Rees / A Closer Look Home Inspection / Salt Lake City, Utah
    http://acloserlookslc.com/