Eric Russell Guest

Default Tool Storage (When not in use)

Just wondering what everybody is storing their tools in for transport, non-use, on the job site, etc. I'm simply asking for curiosity. I've been on the prowl for a more waterproof box, chest, etc. I am currently using a Stanley FatMax with wheels (see pic). It works fine, except for when its raining. I've got electronics in there just like you all have, so I need it to be dry. I'm looking for something portable like this Stanley as I have really gotten used to just lifting it in and out at the job and rolling it into the garage or wherever and working out of it. Not really into bags as they tend to get wet and stay wet. I'd like to keep it all in one unit.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Tom Comstock Guest

Default Re: Tool Storage (When not in use)

OK, that is really interesting, neat tool storage. I just use a large tool bag, semi water resistant, and keep a few of my tools in the vehicle that are not needed regularly. What you currently have seems to be a good option, easy and convenient. How bad does it leak,, if you move it under cover quickly it shouldn't be too bad should it?

I just have a toolbelt thrown in a plastic tub in the back of the truck. I have a cap on the truck so don't worry about weather. Only thing I take with me into the inspection is a toolbelt, contract, and water alarm to set in front of the dishwasher.

I don't have enough cool toys to fill up the neat thing you have.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

I use Tanos Systainers and Sortainers. Most everything fits in 3 units I keep in the vehicle. Additional units for related stuff. The systainers lock together and work well.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Tom Comstock Guest

I hate to sound stupid, especially in front of all my peers, but sometimes it is just unavoidable, for me anyway.

What is a water alarm,,, rather, I know what it's obvious purpose is,, where did you get this gadget??

In other words, I don't have one, don't know any inspectors that do, and I would like to get one. At present, I start the dishwasher and keep checking back every 10 or 15 minutes, checking for leaks. It would be nice to space that out a bit further.

Sorry for the divergence,, back to Tool Storage...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Comstock View Post
    What is a water alarm,,, rather, I know what it's obvious purpose is,, where did you get this gadget??

In other words, I don't have one, don't know any inspectors that do, and I would like to get one. At present, I start the dishwasher and keep checking back every 10 or 15 minutes, checking for leaks. It would be nice to space that out a bit further...
    Google "Watchdog Water Alarm" About $10-$12 Cheap and easy

Tom Comstock Guest

Thank you Bruce!

I use a Pelican 1600 with the tear out foam. It's expensive, but nowhere near the $5,000 in equipment I carry in it. It's large enough to hold my 18v drill, Flir thermal camera, moisture meter, digital bore scope, cordless screwdriver, Bacharach Monoxor III, wood probe, digital thermometers, Tiff gas detector and a few other odds and ends. But it's compact enough to fit behind the driver's seat of my extended cab Ranger pickup. I also carry a laptop shoulder bag which holds my laptop, paperwork, extra camera and a few other odds and ends. On my belt I've got my camera case with a pouch for a multi-tool, laser thermometer, cell phone and flashlight.

Last edited by Ken Rowe; 11-04-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I think the water alarm is an interesting thought, but does it work, and has it while you were inspecting, and by that time wouldn't it already be too late.
    And shouldn't we then place one on the floor below every tub and shower we test?
    Just wondering where it ends.
    I like the idea though, don't get me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    Google "Watchdog Water Alarm" About $10-$12 Cheap and easy

Bruce, that is a very cool toy.
    Do you have to keep it dry? (joke)

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

I carry three of them, one goes in front of the DW, the others are used when filling tubs/showers; the alarm is loud enough to hear several floors away if I get distracted...

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

I bought my case from Platt Platt Cases - Molded, sewn, and ATA professional and tool cases 18 years ago. It's not even close to wearing our. Have only had to replace a pallet and support strap. It keeps everything inside separated and secured from banging around.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

This is what I'm using currently: Husky 18 in. Rolling Tool Tote - I use one of the "cube" style "electrician's bags" as a center divider.

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-05-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    I think the water alarm is an interesting thought, but does it work, and has it while you were inspecting, and by that time wouldn't it already be too late.
    And shouldn't we then place one on the floor below every tub and shower we test?
    Just wondering where it ends.
    I like the idea though, don't get me wrong.
    Yes, it works. New construction multi-story unit. Placed in front of DW. Turned on unit and walked around the counter top to the other side. Alarm went off. Ran around and turned off DW. The drain had never been connected. Water starting pouring onto brand new bamboo flooring. Called building supervisor who was in the building. He had a plumber pull the DW and finish the connections before the end of a >1000 sq ft 3rd story condo inspection.

Other times it takes the DW a few minutes to fill and swish around water. Sometimes it only leaks during the drain cycle. Better to find out about a small puddle which can often be cleaned up with a few paper towels rather than water continuously pouring onto the floor while you are off inspecting other parts of the home.

$10 protection. Cheap and easy. If I can limit the damage caused by a leaking DW during the inspection, I am less likely to have to get into a fight with the seller about who is paying for the damage. Hint, I took reasonable precautions to limit potential damage by a faulty system/component improperly maintained by the seller.

Eric Russell Guest

Back on the tool storage (not sayin the water alarm divergence isn't interesting...) I wear a tool belt (Occidental Leather #1576) with my driver, receptacle tester, moisture meter, measuring tape, bits, thermometer, voltage tester, etc. inside the living areas. I've got a separate belt (smaller pouches from Lowe's on a belt) that I use for the attic and cralwspace that keeps everything from falling out...don't want to lose that $400+ moisture meter..lol. Both belts have a flashlight loop, a measuring tape, a spare mini-mag light, and a couple of pens. These, along with two sets of knee pads (one for the crawl, one for the attic), the CO meter, Tiff, water flow meter, Comfort Crawl gloves, regular gloves, boot covers, and various other tools and testers. All of this fits in the box and it all goes in with me. That way I don't have to keep returning to the truck for items. I used to have rail mounted tool boxes on my truck, but had to keep coming back to get stuff and in winter the rechargeable batteries on some of the equipment would go down. Anyway, that's how I roll, and it works good for me. How bout you all???

Water alarms are great. I put a link in every report and explain to the client the benefits of putting one in their water heater pan that is in the attic or second floor. Same with washer.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Binford Tools Guest

I use bags. Why because I can pack them without carrying a ton of weight.
    But I live where we don't even get rain during the summer.

During the time when it is wet out, I too need some else. My brother has the box you posted

I use a bag and I set it inside the door usually. I'm hoping my old gunny sack will last a few more years. Coffee sacks are way too big and they just don't make a good potato sack anymore.

People used to try to steal my tools, but nowadays they just snicker when I pull them out. That's fine with me, too.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Stephen G Guest

My Dentist has the same set....

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    I use a bag and I set it inside the door usually. I'm hoping my old gunny sack will last a few more years. Coffee sacks are way too big and they just don't make a good potato sack anymore.

People used to try to steal my tools, but nowadays they just snicker when I pull them out. That's fine with me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    The drain had never been connected.
    Now that's funny, you go to the trouble to set up a water alarm but don't check that the drain is connected!!
    (hopefully you mean under the dishwasher somewhere, not at the sink drain or disposal).

Just my opinion, but I think if you need anything with wheels you are hauling way more stuff into the house than you need.
    Granted, I have a ton of stuff in the vehicle and pretty much 2 of everything but I can carry around everything I need for most inspections in my pockets (except the ladder).

Stephen G Guest

I have to agree with the below statement. I carry a small FatMax tool bag. All screwdrivers, mirrors and testers have their own place. I even keep a pair of indoor work shoes so I can change at the door. My camera is taken out of its case and assembled before I leave the truck. When I am done I look in the bag to see that every spot has a tool in it. Arrive back home I grab the camera and FatMax and bring it into the office to keep it warm and safe. I set the bag beside my battery charger. All flashlights and meters have rechargable batteries. I keep everything within about 4sq ft. Everything in easy reach and I can see if I am charging (incl my phone). So when I walk out I just have to remember to bring my truck

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Just my opinion, but I think if you need anything with wheels you are hauling way more stuff into the house than you need.
    Granted, I have a ton of stuff in the vehicle and pretty much 2 of everything but I can carry around everything I need for most inspections in my pockets (except the ladder).