Joe Suelter Guest

Default Looking for ideas regarding heat

I am looking for some ideas for heat for my humble office. The building is detatched from our house, and sits approximately 100 feet across the gravel driveway. The structure is 10x14, insulated, with a slider and a regular entry door. There is electric already in place to this building, and that's it, no gas or propane.

I am looking for a way to keep this structure above freezing, something I could leave on safely. My first thought was an iHeater...they make a small 1000 watt one for under $200. I called iHeater and they politely told me they wouldn't recommend it as a primary heat source, although it would probably work. I respect their honest input. I thought of that because there is no real heating element...but now I'm not sure what to do. My next option would be a propane tank and some sort of wall mount heater...but I'd rather not go through all of that if I don't have to, since this building is rather small and wall space is a premium!

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Thanks to all, and Happy Thanksgiving. Be safe, and eat well!

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Looking for ideas regarding heat

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Suelter View Post

I am looking for a way to keep this structure above freezing, l!
    Hi Joe,

Do you have Water service in the office?

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Joe Suelter Guest

I don't. The previous owner did at one time, but he said he didn't get all the water out one year and the pipe froze. I did an interior remodel last fall and took out the sink and capped the drain and water supply off.

I forgot to mention one thing, this does have a basement garage, it is where I store the tractor and other implements of destruction.

Joe Suelter Guest

The reason I want to keep it above freezing is the computer and printer/fax machine are located inside. I don't imagine ink cartridges fair too well in freezing temps, plus I work out there three or four nights a week on things...I would prefer it if it didn't take several hours to bring it up to a comfortable temperature.

I should note, the electric is only 110, not 220.

I don't. The previous owner did at one time, but he said he didn't get all the water out one year and the pipe froze.
    I did an interior remodel last fall and took out the sink and capped the drain and water supply off.
    You could cut the main water service off.

Install a cutoff and drain, drain the supply line, turn off and abandon it.

Or if you must heat the area All Winter just to keep a Non Working Water Line Warm. 6 ft. 1,500-Watt 120 Volt Electric Baseboard Heater White-6F1500-1W at The Home Depot

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)

What about a oil filled electric rad, which has three heat settings, 500 watt, 1000 watt, 1500 watt?

I would go electric, but only if the feeder from the house is up to snuff. But be aware that 120 volt heaters will draw double the current for the same amount of heat as a 240 volt unit.

The Dimplex electric fireplaces are pretty popular around here. We have one, good heater, but not cheap to operate. They also make a little cast iron electric stove. These units just plug in to any 15 amp receptacle.

A simple 200 watt heat lamp will keep that place from freezing. Well, I guess that depends on the winter temp, eh?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

You can use a portable A/C with a built-in heater.

Or a mini-split heat pump

Both simple to install, run on 120, and the mini-split has a thermostat to cycle when needed.

Dom.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I am looking for some ideas for heat for my humble office. The building is detatched from our house, and sits approximately 100 feet across the gravel driveway. The structure is 10x14, insulated, with a slider and a regular entry door. There is electric already in place to this building, and that's it, no gas or propane.

I am looking for a way to keep this structure above freezing, something I could leave on safely. My first thought was an iHeater...they make a small 1000 watt one for under $200. I called iHeater and they politely told me they wouldn't recommend it as a primary heat source, although it would probably work. I respect their honest input. I thought of that because there is no real heating element...but now I'm not sure what to do. My next option would be a propane tank and some sort of wall mount heater...but I'd rather not go through all of that if I don't have to, since this building is rather small and wall space is a premium!

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

The reason I want to keep it above freezing is the computer and printer/fax machine are located inside. I don't imagine ink cartridges fair too well in freezing temps, plus I work out there three or four nights a week on things...I would prefer it if it didn't take several hours to bring it up to a comfortable temperature.

I should note, the electric is only 110, not 220.
    Hmmmm. At least 100 feet away across gravel driveway, perhaps that's why you're only reading 110 volts (drop). 14x20+ two levels, office over garage. Seems you're indicating you have a single branch circuit, perhaps a MWBC supplying. I see you've got a window AC, & computers, printer running, and assume lighting? Hmmm.

Assuming you are allowed to occupy this upper level over garage/U as an office/working space, and it isn't strictly Non-haz storage... Hopefully legal occupancy. You require heat. Ag or residential zoning? Either way, unattended portable space heaters/comfort heaters won't do, not in Central Illinois.

1. Pitch window A/C. Conflicts with computer & printer + lighting anyway.

2. Do Heat loss/gain calcs. (Man J.) Select all-electric PTAC or PTHP for through-the-wall installation. (does both and frees up the window for natural light and ventillation). See specifications for PTAC or PTHP unit.

3. Load Calcs.

4. Upgrade power to this building from simple singluar 120V branch circuit to a 120/240V Underground Feeder (protection, proper depth and tracer above in trench under driveway), install MCB panel, a 240V circuit for the PTAC or PTHP, multiple branch circuits (for your office, power supply, lighting, computers/printers, and tool battery rechargers) & remote structure's electrode system.

5. Install all-electric PTAC, or PTHP. (Packaged Terminal Air Conditioner w/electric coil heats, or Packaged Terminal Heat Pump - high eff. heat reversed HP with coil backups - i.e. 2-stage heating) through the wall. Can be installed up high and generally moderate framing skill remediation, as the unit is "packaged" there is no "split" condensor. Many come with remote control.

Set PTAC or PTHP at target temp (such as 50), kick up the heat when you occupy; keep in mind condensation issues when the building cools after you've occupied it (heated up, respiration, etc.) if you dial the temp back down during those coldest of winter nights.

Here are some examples (clickable link): Hotel-Style Heating and Cooling Units (PTAC)

The "Eden Pure", "I-Heater", and the like are bogus as a heat source. They are nothing more than a few heat lamp bulbs mounted in a box with a fan and vents. They are NOT designed for or listed for continuous, unattended operation as a primary heat source. Read this (clickable link): EdenPure iHeater Amish Heaters Heat Surge Roll-n-Glow and other deceptive heaters

Untill you determine heat loss calculations, etc. you won't know "how much" heat you'll need.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 11-24-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Permanent baseboard unit?

Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago.
    - James Burgh, 1754.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    What about a oil filled electric rad, which has three heat settings, 500 watt, 1000 watt, 1500 watt?
    Agree.... these are great. I've used them for similar things like in an RV. Just the 500W setting was plenty to keep it at 50 or so. Also, IMO the oil radiant are the safest portable electric heaters.

Ted Menelly Guest

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

A sleeved heat/air conditioner high up in the wall. Leave it on the lowest heat setting and that place will be toasty and not cost much to do so. The deal with just heat is .... just heat. The other unit will keep you cool in the summer on those hot humid days.

Under a few hundred and an hour in labor to cut the hole, and then trim it up and caulk it up.

Cool building, I want one!
    I agree with others, a portable electric heater or a permanently installed baseboard heater. If you go with an electric heater it doesn't matter the type, they are all 100% efficient. I dont think a heat pump will work well in IL.

Joe Suelter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin Thompson View Post
    Cool building, I want one!
    Thanks! I can't take credit for it though, it was already built when we bought our house. What is not pictured, is on the lower left you can just see the fender of his tractor, just past that is a 3000 gallon koi pond with waterfall. It is pretty sweet! When I'm in the office working on a nice day with the windows open, there is nothing like hearing the waterfall! It is very peaceful.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think I might try an oil filled radiator this winter, and maybe do Ted's idea this spring/summer.

I have two oil filled portable heaters. One in the kitchen and one in a bathroom. Work very well.

If its tipped over they shut off, and the oil is environmentally friendly.

Both units are kept on the 500 watt settings and come on an off dependent on setting.

They also have electronic timers which allows you to set two different on off times.

I have two oil filled portable heaters. One in the kitchen and one in a bathroom. Work very well.
    I would not want an unattended corded space heater as The Primary Heat source.

Never a problem and I've used the two continuously in winter months. They are certified by UL.

Fwiw.

Never a problem and I've used the two continuously in winter months. They are certified by UL.

Fwiw.
    I have used them as well.

Just never in a Detached Space as Primary Heat.
    * owners manual advises to unplug them when not in use.

Swap out the a/c for a heat pump unit... although 115 power will limit your choices.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

An electric fireplace or baseboard heater is what I would choose. The other option is a small propane heater and just put the bottle outside but you would have to watch the level. They also make ceiling fans with a heater built it. There is also solar for during the days. I built one like this using a piece of tempered slider glass that I got from the local glass shop.
    Building a Simple Solar Air Heating Collector

Nevada IOS#1730
    Nevada Energy Auditor #30
    775-342-4767 www.homecsi.com

I ran across this recently. It might not work for your sutuation, but I thought it was interesting:

US Stove Window-Mount Pellet Stove — 24,000 BTU, Model# 2400 | Corn, Pellet + Multi-Fuel | Northern Tool + Equipment

Joe Suelter Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Frederickson View Post
    I ran across this recently. It might not work for your sutuation, but I thought it was interesting:

US Stove Window-Mount Pellet Stove — 24,000 BTU, Model# 2400 | Corn, Pellet + Multi-Fuel | Northern Tool + Equipment
    Cool! I get the Northern Tool catalog and haven't seen that! They are pretty proud of that bad boy though!!!