Default Dryer wire connection from subpanel to shed?

Outside subpanel may not be wired properly, dryer blow cool air from the back. There is no room for a dryer in the small kitchen, so thought I could use the old 240 wiring in the shed for a dryer. After scraping the first dryer now I know it may not have been the problem. I replaced the 30amp breaker and new dryer outlet for a whirlpool. Test 110 volt on each of both legs from the center on outlet. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or give me some advice/info on what need to be replaced.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Dryer wire connection from subpanel to shed?

When you tested the connection did you get 240v on your meter? You have to have separate legs to get 240v.

First, make sure you are getting 240V to the sub panel.
    If Yes, then go to step #2. If NO, the problem is with the wiring to the sub panel.
    Step #2
    Make sure you are getting 240V to the dryer outlet.
    If YES, then the problem is with your dryer.
    If NO, the problem is with your sub panel, or your wiring or breaker.

When checking for power you will need to check from black wire to ground and red wire to ground, both of these will give you 120 volts. You then need to check from the black wire to the red wire and that should be 240 volts.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Learn View Post
    When checking for power you will need to check from black wire to ground and red wire to ground, both of these will give you 120 volts. You then need to check from the black wire to the red wire and that should be 240 volts.
    Just want to add: if you now get the 240 from black to red you should have heat. If not you most likely have a problem after the panel or with the dryer itself.

Mike Rodney
    Ontario, Canada

Another solution would be to hire an electrician, this is kindergarden stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ruth View Post
    Another solution would be to hire an electrician, this is kindergarden stuff.
    My thinking is similar, I don't want to tell someone how to kill themselves ... would not be healthy for me either.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Learn View Post
    I checked black wire to ground got 110 on my tester and red wire to ground got 110, but when I checked black wire to red I got nothing. I wasn't sure it was safe to check black to red. When I checked the sub I got 110 on my tester. I know it is not safe to use two different breakers to get 240, it must be a bridged 240 breaker, so I think it's best I call an electrician and have it replaced. Thanks to you all for your help I wouldn't have firgured it out. I got my home inspection dipolma for TN., before I can sumit it alone with test grade, and state test results to Nashville I need proof of insurance also, any suggestions on some general and e&o insurance within a buget would be welcomed.

Robert,
    Both wires are on the same leg. Which is why you get nothing testing Black to Red. Correction should be simple, find someone that knows what they are doing to show and explain what is going on and how to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Robert,
    Both wires are on the same leg. Which is why you get nothing testing Black to Red. Correction should be simple, find someone that knows what they are doing to show and explain what is going on and how to correct it.

Agreed 100%. Have an electrician take a look at it.

Mike Rodney
    Ontario, Canada