Default Minnesota Licensing Requirements

Hi, I'm currently licensed and operating in Wisconsin.

I'm looking into inspecting in Minnesota as well and from what I have found there appears to be no licensing requirements, is this correct? Other than making sure my insurance allows me to inspect in MN are there any other requirements I should consider before crossing the border.

WI laws don't allow inspectors to limit liability, but MN inspectors do you disclaim all liability on your pre-inspection agreements?

Also what building codes has MN adopted for electrical, plumbing, building...

Thanks, Joe.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Joe Dach; 03-18-2011 at 08:15 AM. Reason: .
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Minnesota Licensing Requirements

I am a Building Official now, I was the head housing inspector for the City of Richfield about 14 years ago. I don't believe there are any licensing requirements for private home inspectors in Minnesota. Municipal inspectors are required to be certified by the state.

Here is a link to the State Building Code. Minnesota State Building Code - Minnesota Department of Labor and Industry

The state has adopted, with amendments, the 2006 editions of the IBC, IRC (except for everything after Chapter 11, all mechanical systems are regulated by the other I codes), IMC, IFGC, IFC and the 2008 NEC. The Plumbing code is the State Plumbing Code, MN Rules Chapter 4715.

You would need the code book to make sense of the amendments.

A little Norwegian might help.

Uff Da

No HI licensing requirements in MN as yet. It is still wise to carry insurance however. The best place for that by far is the Minnesota Joint Underwriters Association at MJUA Homepage.

As Fred pointed out, MN has their own special code requirements aside from the national ones. For code books visit the MN State Bookstore. These books are a must since they have LOTS of code changes that one needs to be aware of.

Finally, contact any member of the Minnesota Chapter of the National Association of Home Inspectors (NAHI) . They'll be happy to help you out. Dave Taurinskas is usually the easiest to get hold of but anyone will help you with the details. I believe one of their members lives in the LaCrosse area.

Beacon Inspection Services
    Proudly Serving the Greater Henderson and Las Vegas Valley Area in Southern Nevada!
    Like Beacon On Facebook

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dach View Post
    Hi, I'm currently licensed and operating in Wisconsin.

I'm looking into inspecting in Minnesota as well and from what I have found there appears to be no licensing requirements, is this correct? Other than making sure my insurance allows me to inspect in MN are there any other requirements I should consider before crossing the border.

WI laws don't allow inspectors to limit liability, but MN inspectors do you disclaim all liability on your pre-inspection agreements?

Also what building codes has MN adopted for electrical, plumbing, building...

Thanks, Joe.
    I would like to see that work when you do miss something. I do not believe there is any such thing anywhere other than on a paper you have someone sign.

Actually I do not see why anyone would sign such a thing. They are paying you to find concerns in the home they are thinking of buying. If you are missing this or that (with in reason of course, not something buried behind furniture, hiding in the corner of an attic or inaccessible crawl) you are not doing your job they are paying you for so there is no disclaiming all liability anywhere.

It should be illegal for any inspector anywhere to disclaim all liability on an inspection they are performing. That is literally telling folks that even if you are not worth your weight they cannot come after you for anything because you have a handicap clause in your agreement. Personally if you are handi-capped to the point where you cannot perform a home inspection then you should not be doing inspections.

Sorry about all that. That phrase just reached out and grabbed me as in ... HUH.

Joe,
    I believe most states under doctrine of law do not allow you to "...disclaim all liability on your pre-inspection agreements...." as they do not allow you to limit your liability to the cost off the inspection. Even if you have it in a signed contract the court will negate that part of the contract. There are things that can not be signed away.

Not legal eagle, will forward case law if I can find where I put it.