Default Question RE: Egress

Does the IRC offer a more in depth definition of a sleeping room? I have a dwelling that has a room, looks kinda like an office actually. There is a fixed window, but not an operable one. Seems this room has the potential to become a sleeping room should the new buyer wish, but I cannot predict what they will use it for. Appears to be a potential situation for entrapment with no escape. Sleeping area (currently) or not.

R310.1 Emergency escape and rescue required. Basements,
    habitable attics and every sleeping room shall have at least one
    operable emergency escape and rescue opening...

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Question RE: Egress

Is there a fire suppression system, by any chance?
    I ask because I recently inspected a relatively new townhouse with a finished basement with no secondary egress.
    The local code guy told me they'd made an exception for townhouses that had fully functional fire suppression systems (it appeared to), inter-connected smokes (it did) and a fire extinguisher of a certain size within 5 feet of the bottom of the basement steps (it didn't).
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's possible the room is ok depending on the circumstances.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

marc,
    what was the room originally designated as? try not to predict what it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by brian schmitt View Post
    marc,
    what was the room originally designated as? try not to predict what it could be.
    If it's a finished, conditioned room, I would not just predict, I would assume it's going to be used as a bedroom.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    If it's a finished, conditioned room, I would not just predict, I would assume it's going to be used as a bedroom.
    John, I am 100% with you.
    BTW its a single family home, conditioned, with no fire suppression.

o.k. john i'll play! assuming in the inspection gig can lead to misunderstandings with consequences. when the approved plans call the space a library,den,hobby room,media room,sewing room, storage room, adult toy room, or whatever room, we check it for compliance with the use. just because it has drywall, paint, smoke alarms, and it is conditioned still it is not a sleeping room.
    with your statement a bathroom or a closet could be considered a bedroom, their finished and conditioned! a bedroom needs an eero,smoke detectors, and in someplaces a closet but it should be designated as a bedroom on the plans!

... it should be designated as a bedroom on the plans!
    It's too dark to read the plans in a coffin.

The room in question isn't a closet. The OP implies it's big enough to be used as a bedroom. As a home inspector, I can't make anyone do anything, but I can inform my clients of dangerous conditions.

It's too dark to read the plans in a coffin.

The room in question isn't a closet. The OP implies it's big enough to be used as a bedroom. As a home inspector, I can't make anyone do anything, but I can inform my clients of dangerous conditions.
    the room in question is not a bedroom either. it is big enough to be one but it is not because it does not have all the stuff ad mentioned . read plans in a coffin? have a beer and relax john,you worry too much

This room was 10x10 ish, and has a door. If a fire started in the hallway, and your in the "office" (not a bedroom), there would be no means for escape. I suppose you can shut the door, and hope the 1 3/8 hollow core door keeps the flames at bay looking out the window wishing you were out there. BTW, the room is on the second story.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    This room was 10x10 ish, and has a door. If a fire started in the hallway, and your in the "office" (not a bedroom), there would be no means for escape. I suppose you can shut the door, and hope the 1 3/8 hollow core door keeps the flames at bay looking out the window wishing you were out there. BTW, the room is on the second story.
    Come on, Marc, a fire? You worry too much, dude. Brian has opened my eyes. Fires are a thing of the past!

Come on, Marc, a fire? You worry too much, dude. Brian has opened my eyes. Fires are a thing of the past!
    you're welcome

you're welcome
    My new favorite philosopher. What, me worry?

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

LOL...he's bummbed. Brian we're just messing with you. We dont actually think you would overlook something like that or anything...

Tell them to keep a fire extinguisher handy. After you spray down the fire, you can use the extinguisher to break the window and climb out.

Seriously, was the window large enough to swap out for an operable that would meet the dimensions? Probably over two thirds of the houses I do have windows that don't qualify for the current opening and sill height.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Tell them to keep a fire extinguisher handy. After you spray down the fire, you can use the extinguisher to break the window and climb out.

Seriously, was the window large enough to swap out for an operable that would meet the dimensions? Probably over two thirds of the houses I do have windows that don't qualify for the current opening and sill height.
    That's funny. The window was a 3-0 x 4-0, huge.

I require the Realtor to provide me with the MRIS Property Listing. The listing says how many bedrooms the house has. If one of the rooms considered a bedroom does NOT meet the requirements, I point that out to the buyer's agent and the buyer. I also tell the buyers why certain rooms can not be considered bedrooms (assuming there are rooms that may be converted to bedrooms) and explain the safety issues relative to those rooms. But people will be people and will do what they want regardless of the potential consequences. All one can do is advise!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Lewis View Post
    All one can do is advise!
    Finally, after a bunch of junk.... some reason

Why are HIs trying to become designers and architects? It's not our job to live people's lives for them. Just inform them what they are thinking of buying. Everything after that is just ego feeding...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc M View Post
    LOL...he's bummbed. Brian we're just messing with you. We dont actually think you would overlook something like that or anything...
    i find your views and interpretations quite entertaining and your thinking outside of the box and the constraints of a jurisdictional inspector fascinating! when and if i grow up and shred the chains (codes) that bind me ,maybe i can get a guest appearance on the marc and john show?