Jim Bowlin Guest

Default VA Inspections on existing homes

I have recently started getting calls for VA homes where the potential buyer is asking if I am a VA inspector. I know I have inspected VA homes in the past and there has never been a question about being a VA inspector. Has something changed recently or was this just ignored in the past? I would think that a TREC inspection would be a more in depth than a VA inspection.
    Thanks for the reply's!

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Michael Greenwalt Guest

Default Re: VA Inspections on existing homes

A VA inspector is there for the sole purpose of protecting the interest of the VA, is employed by the VA, and has a specific checklist to follow and recommendations to make regarding the property that must be repaired to the satisfaction of the VA before the VA will underwrite the loan. They are not home inspectors nor are we (home inspectors) VA inspectors.
    If you are interested in conducting VA inspections contact the VA but don't expect anything similar to what you do as a home inspector.

Oh yea, a VA loan will require a VA inspector which will be sent out by the VA and paid for at closing, normally by the individual requesting a VA backed loan.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Greenwalt View Post
    A VA inspector is there for the sole purpose of protecting the interest of the VA, is employed by the VA, and has a specific checklist to follow and recommendations to make regarding the property that must be repaired to the satisfaction of the VA before the VA will underwrite the loan. They are not home inspectors nor are we (home inspectors) VA inspectors.
    If you are interested in conducting VA inspections contact the VA but don't expect anything similar to what you do as a home inspector.

Oh yea, a VA loan will require a VA inspector which will be sent out by the VA and paid for at closing, normally by the individual requesting a VA backed loan.
    I do Inspections for people getting VA loans quite frequently. I never have any questions coming back. I am not a "VA Inspector" nor have ever signed up for it.

The last one was about 3 weeks to a month ago.

Every VA loan no matter how old must havt a termite inspection as well.

I keep hearing of this "You must be a VA Inspector" from others but never experience any turn downs or specific forms.

Don't know what all that is about.

VA, of course FHA (no matter what type of FHA), USDA and any others. Must be a Texas thing. I never get asked for anything different or special.

My experience is the same as Ted's.

I think many get the VA & FHA appraisal mixed up with the inspection.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    My experience is the same as Ted's.

I think many get the VA & FHA appraisal mixed up with the inspection.

That's what I am thinking. People ask me if I inspect homes where the buyers are getting a VA loan. I tell them all the time and there is never a question. I do think it is for appraisals.

Jim Bowlin Guest

Thanks for the feedback.