Dan Batz Guest

Default New to forum and the industry!!

Hello, my name is Dan and I wanted to take the time to introduce myself to the forum! Im looking to learn and gather as much knowledge I can about home inspecting and this forum seems to have TONS of that!! I'm a recent graduate from AHIT and their master course, just a little hesitant on jumping right into the field. With that said I have a few questions....

Does anybody know how I go about finding an inspector I can shadow out in the field or at least point me in the right direction?

Opinions on which association to join?

Any advice regarding this industry?

Thanks!!

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: New to forum and the industry!!

HI Dan, welcome!

Try calling an inspector that is outside your area and ask them if you can do a ride along.

As far as associations go.... this has been beat to death here way too many times. I suggest you find out if there is a ASHI, NAHI or INACHI chapter in your area. If there is, go visit a meeting or two. See what is a fit for you.

Industry?? Well, its been in a huge slump for the past few years, and while it is slowly crawling back, its nowhere near what it used to be. Many inspectors have dropped out because they could not support themselves any longer.

I'm frankly surprised when I hear of someone jumping into the business. I've been inspecting since 1989 and have not had a "regular" year for the past three or four. While this year is way better than last year, I'm still well below my normal numbers. That said, my November was the best since 2007.

Good luck with your quest, but I still have to wonder, WHY home inspection??

Dan Batz Guest

Jack, thank you for your response!! I'm going to look into your suggestions!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    HI Dan, welcome!

Try calling an inspector that is outside your area and ask them if you can do a ride along.

As far as associations go.... this has been beat to death here way too many times. I suggest you find out if there is a ASHI, NAHI or INACHI chapter in your area. If there is, go visit a meeting or two. See what is a fit for you.

Industry?? Well, its been in a huge slump for the past few years, and while it is slowly crawling back, its nowhere near what it used to be. Many inspectors have dropped out because they could not support themselves any longer.

I'm frankly surprised when I hear of someone jumping into the business. I've been inspecting since 1989 and have not had a "regular" year for the past three or four. While this year is way better than last year, I'm still well below my normal numbers. That said, my November was the best since 2007.

You can ride along with me..

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I'm surprised you're asking for ways to get support here, and not getting that support from AHIT. Shouldn't they be your first, best, resource for that promised continuing "support"? There are scores of topic discussions asking the identical questions. The "search" feature works rather well, you can also use google, or similar search engine to more specifically qualify your searches of the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post

Jack, I think we are seeing the new norm! I too have had the best year since my move in 2006.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Dan Batz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    I'm surprised you're asking for ways to get support here, and not getting that support from AHIT. Shouldn't they be your first, best, resource for that promised continuing "support"? There are scores of topic discussions asking the identical questions. The "search" feature works rather well, you can also use google, or similar search engine to more specifically qualify your searches of the site.
    Well Mr Watson, since you know everything, what do you suggest the required steps to getting "support" are? Obviously I wasn't to thrilled with AHIT and their training program, hence the fact I was asking about shadowing a seasoned inspector.

Thanks for enlightening me on the "search" feature and how well it works. I've never joined an internet forum let alone used a computer before

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Batz View Post
    Well Mr Watson, since you know everything, what do you suggest the required steps to getting "support" are? Obviously I wasn't to thrilled with AHIT and their training program, hence the fact I was asking about shadowing a seasoned inspector.

Thanks for enlightening me on the "search" feature and how well it works. I've never joined an internet forum let alone used a computer before
    Sarcasm and success have little in common besides starting with an S and each having seven letters.

Rarely does the former lead to the later.

Dan Batz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    Sarcasm and success have little in common besides starting with an S and each having seven letters.

Rarely does the former lead to the later.

Integrity is the essence of everything successful, you should look into that

Dan,
    Get used to weeding out the attitude from the information. Sometimes it is hard but there is some good info. Other times you will not be able to make any sense out of the ramblings. Starting to think the moon phase has some effect

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Dan,
    Get used to weeding out the attitude from the information. Sometimes it is hard but there is some good info. Other times you will not be able to make any sense out of the ramblings. Starting to think the moon phase has some effect
    Dan, Gary gave you some sage advice. One suggestion I have is that you need to make friends with other inspectors in your area. Many inspectors for some reason look at fellow inspectors as a threat when they should be looking at them as a form of a partnership. We are all in this together!

I can't tell you the amount of business I have received over the years from fellow inspectors who could not fit the work into their schedule or I had an expertise that they did not have in a particular area. Nor can I say how many times I have received a phone call or I have called another inspector friend to ask a questions about something I was seeing at a home.

I see you are in Missouri, I don't know what town but if you are in St Louis or another large town you might find that you will need to join ASHI as they are very strong in the state. Make friends and get involved in the local chapter and they will help you as much as they can.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Dan Batz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Sorrells View Post
    Dan,
    I've realized that real fast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Dan, Gary gave you some sage advice. One suggestion I have is that you need to make friends with other inspectors in your area. Many inspectors for some reason look at fellow inspectors as a threat when they should be looking at them as a form of a partnership. We are all in this together!

I can't tell you the amount of business I have received over the years from fellow inspectors who could not fit the work into their schedule or I had an expertise that they did not have in a particular area. Nor can I say how many times I have received a phone call or I have called another inspector friend to ask a questions about something I was seeing at a home.

I see you are in Missouri, I don't know what town but if you are in St Louis or another large town you might find that you will need to join ASHI as they are very strong in the state. Make friends and get involved in the local chapter and they will help you as much as they can.
    Thank you