Jay Barnett Guest

Default Electrical question

Do you guys write up wires that are shoved through 1 hole at top of panel and not spread apart through the knockouts provided. And if so do you have any general statements as to the wording. I know the wires should be spread out. I see this so often, just trying to get a feel if other write it up or not. Thanks

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Jay Barnett; 09-15-2010 at 07:44 PM.
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Electrical question

I can't really picture what you're asking... if you mean cables that are run together it's generally okay for short distances... if they're in a conduit or bundled together they must be derated due to the excessive heat. If my memory serves me correctly it's anything over 18" bundled together that requires special attention.

And, of course, they must be protected from the sharp panel edges where they enter.

Roger Frazee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Barnett View Post
    Do you guys write up wires that are shoved through 1 hole at top of panel and not spread apart through the knockouts provided. And if so do you have any general statements as to the wording. I know the wires should be spread out. I see this so often, just trying to get a feel if other write it up or not. Thanks
    Jay

Your description is not very clear due to terminolgy but are you talking about something along the lines of this...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    I can't really picture what you're asking... if you mean cables that are run together it's generally okay for short distances... if they're in a conduit or bundled together they must be derated due to the excessive heat. If my memory serves me correctly it's anything over 18" bundled together that requires special attention.

And, of course, they must be protected from the sharp panel edges where they enter.
    Not all wiring in a conduit system requires derating. Conductor fill in the conduit would also need to apply. Derating starts to occur at 4 current carrying conductors.

Nipples 24" or less do not require derating.

Jay Barnett Guest

Yep you answered it, I was talking about the Romex as it comes into the panel it is all bundled together coming through one opening at top of panel instead of being spread between the multiple knockouts provided at the top. I tried to upload a picture but was too large for this site. You answered it perfectly though. Thanks!

A few inspectors write up items like the installation of the wires in the picture posted.

In the picture posted the wires are not secured.

Roger Frazee Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Barnett View Post
    Yep you answered it, I was talking about the Romex as it comes into the panel it is all bundled together coming through one opening at top of panel instead of being spread between the multiple knockouts provided at the top. I tried to upload a picture but was too large for this site. You answered it perfectly though. Thanks!
    You can thank Jerry Peck of this forum for the photo. He posted it a while back to answer the question you asked as it was becoming a very common occurrence we have been addressing lately.

There is one exception for surface mounted (not flush mounted as in the photo) panels where you can enter the box thru one knockout with multiple NM cables but they must be in a conduit 10' long or less and several other requirements. If your panel has conduit for those cables and is surface mounted you might want to come back and review with us.

Last edited by Roger Frazee; 09-16-2010 at 10:53 AM. Reason: correct compound sentence structure