Mike Huppi Guest

Default Lights on GFCI for bathroom

I can not find any info on if it is allowed to have the GFCI control the outlet and the lights also. I do not think it should be allowed because if your wife was in a closed bathroom and the GFCI got tripped with your wife using her hair dryer then all the lights go off and you cant see whats going on.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Talking Re: Lights on GFCI for bathroom

I would think that is a good thing!

"Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand." Leo Durocher
    Bruce Breedlove
    www.avaloninspection.com

Mike Huppi Guest

Default Re: Lights on GFCI for bathroom

Oh to leave her in there with a hair dryer in the dark with water. Hows the life insurance policy?

How old is the house?

From 1993 on (I think it was, could be 1996) bathroom receptacle outlets were no longer allowed to have other outlets on them, except, if each bathroom was supplied by its own circuit - then one entire bathroom could be on one GFCI circuit.

Before that time, it was common to find all GFCI receptacle outlets (except the kitchen) on one GFCI circuit. Which means other outlets were allowed on that circuit, including the bathroom light outlet.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Don't mind me. I'm just checking to make sure we can spell in$urance a different way so the FREA, or any other company, pop-up doesn't appear. Hey, I guess I learned something from the spammers!

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Mike Huppi Guest

Talking Re: Lights on GFCI for bathroom

The house was a 73. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    Don't mind me. I'm just checking to make sure we can spell in$urance a different way so the FREA, or any other company, pop-up doesn't appear. Hey, I guess I learned something from the spammers!
    Space out the letters or add a "." to it. F.REA or insuranc.e

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

cliff kornegay Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    How old is the house?

From 1993 on (I think it was, could be 1996) bathroom receptacle outlets were no longer allowed to have other outlets on them, except, if each bathroom was supplied by its own circuit - then one entire bathroom could be on one GFCI circuit.

Before that time, it was common to find all GFCI receptacle outlets (except the kitchen) on one GFCI circuit. Which means other outlets were allowed on that circuit, including the bathroom light outlet.
    This is obviously an old thread, but has this changed for any reason since 2007? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by cliff kornegay View Post
    This is obviously an old thread, but has this changed for any reason since 2007? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Any reason for what?

Not sure what you are asking.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

cliff kornegay Guest

Can the entire bathroom (receptacles and lights) still be on one dedicated GFCI circuit? Apologies for any ambiguity...

The current codes IRC and NEC both allow either a circuit that supplies only bathroom receptacle outlets or a circuit that supplies all outlets (lighting and receptacle) within a single bathroom.

from the 09 IRC

E3703.4 Bathroom branch circuits. A minimum of one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.

Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom, outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be permitted to be supplied in accordance with Section E3702.

Kary Krismer Guest

This is an old thread, but assuming the GFCI outlet and the switch for the light are in the same box, fixing this so the light isn't run through the GFCI shouldn't be a big issue.

cliff kornegay Guest

I can't remember the last time I saw this set up, but it left me scratching my head. It's new construction so I'm sure they'll leave it as is.