Thread: Windows 7

Default Windows 7

I just got a new computer, it came with Windows 7.
    Windows 7 has voice recognition software built into it.
    It's awesome.
    I don't know if I will use it for reports, but I'm gonna give it a try.
    Short of flying, it's the most fun I've had with my pants on.
    Come to think of it, it's the most fun I've had in a while.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 12-24-2010 at 07:44 AM.
    OREP Insurance
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Default Re: Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    ...it's the most fun I've had in a while.
    My condolences.

"There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Married 38 years on the 30th. I understand .

The beatings will continue until morale has improved. mgt.

I got a new computer with Windows 7 about 3 weeks ago and saw the voice recognition thing but blew it off as gimmicky - didn't even look at it. Now you got me interested.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

My desktop took a dive a couple months ago and the new machine has Win 7. Overall, there are some nice features but I'm very disappointed with it.

It seems Microsoft just keeps taking control away from users. Or making it VERY difficult to find the settings to make the machine do what you want it to.

The networking security thing is just over the top difficult. I think they assume we all work in the CIA or really, reallly, really don't trust our kids or spouses to have access to our computers.

And the whole way the filing works has changed a bit. Now, everything goes into folders in "Libraries" instead of just folders. So, you have libraries, folder, users, public folders, privated folder..... blah, blah, blah. Can't I just have a folder on my computer with all my junk in it? That seems to have worked out pretty well for me for the last 20 years.

Honestly, I probably haven't taken the time to really learn how it works but after a month I'd pay double for a machine with XP.....

"I got a new computer with Windows 7 about 3 weeks ago and saw the voice recognition thing but blew it off as gimmicky - didn't even look at it. Now you got me interested."

I used the bluetooth headset from my cell phone, works great.
    So easy to hookup, I didn't even have to call my son for help.

Hope it works on IN
    I can see it now, about 5 pages of:
    " Listen here you twerp, I said ... Blah blah blah ... you moron. "

Well you get the idea.
    Hey, maybe ?.?. ?????? ??. already has one. Yeah thats it.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 12-24-2010 at 07:45 AM.
    ' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

"... I'd pay double for a machine with XP....."

Soooo, just how much would you offer for an excellent HP Media Center with XP on it?
    I'm really kinda fond of it, but... if the price is right, well then.

Last night I spent two hours training the voice recognition to understand my voice.
    Works pretty good, however it’s a long way from perfect.
    The spelling is not always correct.
    For example, I read the following to it, and this it what the voice recognition thought I said.

Hello
    Hey

I’m training my computer to understand my voice.
    I is training mine computer twos understand mys voice.

I have to go to Atlanta to repair a broken window.
    I’s got to goes to Atlanter twos fixes a broken winder.

Water heater
    Hot water heater

Garden hose
    Hose pipe

Press this button
    Mash dis here burtin

It’s cold outside
    It’s cold out dare

Why isn’t it writing down what I’m saying?
    S!%t

What?
    S!%t

I give up.
    S!%t !!!!

Anyhow, as you can see, I still need to work with it a little more.

Hope all of you have a Merry Christmas, and I wish you all many blessings for the New Year.

Last edited by Rick Cantrell; 12-24-2010 at 07:20 AM.

LOL

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

I had someone PM this to me:

"Your voice recognition post is consistent with a racially stereotyped attempt at humor. Perhaps it would be appropriate in a private conversation, but not to a wide audience.

I hope you will try for a little higher level of humor next time. Would you want your potential customers to read what you posted? Maybe you could make HI's the butt of the humor."

My wife read it and said pretty much the same thing.
    I didn't intend it as a racial thing.
    I am from the South and was poking fun at ME.

I just thought it was cute.
    Sorry if I offended anyone.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cantrell View Post
    I had someone PM this to me:

"Your voice recognition post is consistent with a racially stereotyped attempt at humor. Perhaps it would be appropriate in a private conversation, but not to a wide audience.

I hope you will try for a little higher level of humor next time. Would you want your potential customers to read what you posted? Maybe you could make HI's the butt of the humor."

My wife read it and said pretty much the same thing.
    I didn't intend it as a racial thing.
    I am from the South and was poking fun at ME.

I just thought it was cute.
    Sorry if I offended anyone.
    Most likely the creator of the software had some racial speaking problems. It was trying to change your words into their bad English language.

I tried that type of software years and years ago and could never get it it comprehend what I was saying and constantly garbled the words no matter how clearly I spoke.

Who ever sent you the message needs to get a grip. When I used it I believe the software thought I was speaking Russian or some variation of it.

Besides I found it pretty funny. Anyone that thinks talking like that is depicting another race may need to talk to the folks that really do talk like that. My friends daughter texts me with words like dis or dat and I constantly tell her that there is no dis or dat in the English language. The English or should I say the American Language is really taking a hit now a days and everyone goes to school learning the same language. I cannot understand why so many speak some foreign language after exiting the 12th grade.

Ise frum way up nort and I tot it was hilarious.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

My Dad does say Atlanter, winder, and most people I know say hose pipe.
    It would have been better to leave out the " I's" and "I is".

Maybe I'm not quite ready for SNL, but I'm glad some of you saw some humor in it.

Rick,

I had to go back and re-read all of your posts b/c I couldn't figure out what was racial. It took me bit; I sometimes talk funny too.

As far as the voice recognition, you will need to train it quite a bit. Do full training no less than 3 times. Actually, the training in XP was a lot better than Win7, but the Win7 software (MS 8.0) is a lot better.

I find that if I speak relatively monotone and at a slower than normal pace, it does OK. Sometimes 100%; sometimes75%.

Other times, if I just do one word at a time, it gets everything pretty good. It doesn't like me to say "I"

Bruce Thompson, Lic. #9199
    www.TylerHomeInspector.com
    Home Inspections in the Tyler and East Texas area

I'm from MN, but my mother is from Georgia. She talks like that, so I knew it was a southern drawl and not racial. Whoever pm'd you needs to get out more and take a long look at themselves before they automatically jump on the racial thing.

MinnesotaHomeInspectors.com
    Minnesota Home Inspectors LLC
    ASHI #242887 mnradontesting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Fellman View Post
    My desktop took a dive a couple months ago and the new machine has Win 7. Overall, there are some nice features but I'm very disappointed with it.

It seems Microsoft just keeps taking control away from users. Or making it VERY difficult to find the settings to make the machine do what you want it to.

The networking security thing is just over the top difficult. I think they assume we all work in the CIA or really, reallly, really don't trust our kids or spouses to have access to our computers.

And the whole way the filing works has changed a bit. Now, everything goes into folders in "Libraries" instead of just folders. So, you have libraries, folder, users, public folders, privated folder..... blah, blah, blah. Can't I just have a folder on my computer with all my junk in it? That seems to have worked out pretty well for me for the last 20 years.

Honestly, I probably haven't taken the time to really learn how it works but after a month I'd pay double for a machine with XP.....
    I recently upgraded my Vista laptop to Win 7. It screwed up my 3-D big time.
    It took me an extra three hours to do a report yesterday because all the previous folder paths were not valid any longer. I couldn't create the cover page and it would not output a PDF. Major PITA

I like the OS but this will take some time to sort out. Damn!

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Quote Originally Posted by JB Thompson View Post
    Rick,

I had to go back and re-read all of your posts b/c I couldn't figure out what was racial. It took me bit; I sometimes talk funny too.

As far as the voice recognition, you will need to train it quite a bit. Do full training no less than 3 times. Actually, the training in XP was a lot better than Win7, but the Win7 software (MS 8.0) is a lot better.

I find that if I speak relatively monotone and at a slower than normal pace, it does OK. Sometimes 100%; sometimes75%.

Other times, if I just do one word at a time, it gets everything pretty good. It doesn't like me to say "I"

I've been using various versions of Dragon Naturally Speaking for some time. If you take the time to train it, it works well. I use it extensively. I even PAID for two copies so I could have it on both computers. I'm not a fan of Nuance, the maker of DNS but this one works well.
    I write and blog a lot. I have 8 fairly active blogs going plus doing software reviews and my HI reports. It does the job and spells much better than I do to boot.
    Take the time to train it, use a noise cancelling mike and do it in a quite environment. My barking dogs drive it nuts! It tries to translate woof woof woof but fails and just says ?????

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504