Lee Nettnin Guest

Default Bollard wall protection

I have a planning board meeting next week and I was hoping someone could advise me if bollards are required in front of a building when the parking lot runs right up to an exterior wall to the structure. I know common sense says something should be there, but I am having trouble finding anything in the code.

Thanks, Lee

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Bollard wall protection

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Nettnin View Post
    I have a planning board meeting next week and I was hoping someone could advise me if bollards are required in front of a building when the parking lot runs right up to an exterior wall to the structure. I know common sense says something should be there, but I am having trouble finding anything in the code.

Thanks, Lee
    Lee:

1607.7.3 Vehicle barriers.
    Vehicle barrier systems for passenger
    cars shall be designed to resist a single load of 6,000
    pounds (26.70 kN) applied horizontally in any direction to
    the barrier system and shall have anchorage or attachment
    capable of transmitting this load to the structure. For design
    of the system, the load shall be assumed to act at a minimum
    height of 1 foot, 6 inches (457 mm) above the floor or ramp
    surface on an area not to exceed 1 square foot (305 mm
    2),
    and is not required to be assumed to act concurrently with
    any handrail or guard loadings specified in the preceding
    paragraphs of Section 1607.7.1. Garages accommodating
    trucks and buses shall be designed in accordance with an
    approved method that contains provision for traffic railings.

Lee Nettnin Guest

Mr. Miller,
    Yes, I found that section, however it only states how to build/erect a barrier. I just need to know if it is required.
    Thanks, Lee

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Lee:

1607.7.3 Vehicle barriers.
    Vehicle barrier systems for passenger
    cars shall be designed to resist a single load of 6,000
    pounds (26.70 kN) applied horizontally in any direction to
    the barrier system and shall have anchorage or attachment
    capable of transmitting this load to the structure. For design
    of the system, the load shall be assumed to act at a minimum
    height of 1 foot, 6 inches (457 mm) above the floor or ramp
    surface on an area not to exceed 1 square foot (305 mm

2),
    and is not required to be assumed to act concurrently with
    any handrail or guard loadings specified in the preceding
    paragraphs of Section 1607.7.1. Garages accommodating
    trucks and buses shall be designed in accordance with an
    approved method that contains provision for traffic railings.

Just a question here. I read the same thing but it does not say that there must be this protection but if there is protection it must be designed in such a manner. There is nothing in there that says you must have this protection so cars cannot run into the building.

A.D. Miller Guest

Mr. Miller,
    Yes, I found that section, however it only states how to build/erect a barrier. I just need to know if it is required.
    Thanks, Lee
    Lee:

406.2.4 Vehicle barriers.
    Parking areas shall be provided
    with exterior or interior walls or vehicle barriers, except at
    pedestrian or vehicular accesses, designed in accordance
    with Section 1607.7. Vehicle barriers not less than 2 feet
    (607 mm) high shall be placed at the end of drive lanes, and
    at the end of parking spaces where the difference in adjacent
    floor elevation is greater than 1 foot (305 mm).

Exception:
    Vehicle storage compartments in a mechanical
    access parking garage.

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

That egress door may require additional area protection to maintain emergency exit path. Does the door swing in?

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by H.G. Watson, Sr. View Post
    That egress door may require additional area protection to maintain emergency exit path. Does the door swing in?
    HG: I looks like an in-swing door.

Lee Nettnin Guest

Lee:

406.2.4 Vehicle barriers.
    Parking areas shall be provided
    with exterior or interior walls or vehicle barriers, except at
    pedestrian or vehicular accesses, designed in accordance
    with Section 1607.7. Vehicle barriers not less than 2 feet
    (607 mm) high shall be placed at the end of drive lanes, and
    at the end of parking spaces where the difference in adjacent
    floor elevation is greater than 1 foot (305 mm).

Exception:
    Vehicle storage compartments in a mechanical
    access parking garage.

Hi Mr. Miller,
    This section of the code applies to Parking Garages. I have an open parking area that runs right up to the exterior wall.
    Thanks, Lee

Lee Nettnin Guest

HG: I looks like an in-swing door.
    Yes, I know the door swings the wrong way, and yes I will not allow parking in front of the door. They will have to provide a ramp to the door anyway. The building has many problems, but at the present I only have to worry about the "planning board issues", and the rest is up to the CEO/Building inspector.
    Thanks, Lee

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Only mentioned it due to needing parking barrier for that area that still allows for safe egress. Bollards usually.

A.D. Miller Guest

Hi Mr. Miller,
    This section of the code applies to Parking Garages. I have an open parking area that runs right up to the exterior wall.
    Thanks, Lee
    Lee: That was your best shot at "requiring" protection. Otherwise, they are not required.

Lee,

I am not aware of a requirement to 'protect the building' from an opening parking area, however, if you are going to be the owner, or inspecting for the potential owner, I would certainly raise that issue as it is not uncommon to have vehicles driving up and over sidewalks into buildings, and that does not even have a raised sidewalk (walkway).

Here is another thing to consider - one or more accessible handicapped parking spaces and access aisles which do not require the person parking in the handicap parking space to walk behind any vehicles to the access aisle and to the entrance to the building, which would, to some degree, address what H.G. was mentioning.

If you only need two accessible parking spaces you could install them one on each side of the entrance, with the entrance width *not* part of the access aisles for the two spaces, i.e., you could have the egress width extend into the parking area, a 5' access aisle on each side of that egress width, then an accessible parking space on the other side of each access aisle. That would, should, address the protection of the entrance.

All of the above said, though, there is this:
    From the 2006 IBC.

IMPACT LOAD. The load resulting from moving machinery, elevators, craneways, vehicles and other similar forces and kinetic loads, pressure and possible surcharge from fixed or moving loads.

1607.8 Impact loads. The live loads specified in Section 1607.3 include allowance for impact conditions. Provisions shall be made in the structural design for uses and loads that involve unusual vibration and impact forces.

1607.3 Uniform live loads. The live loads used in the design of buildings and other structures shall be the maximum loads expected by the intended use or occupancy but shall in no case be less than the minimum uniformly distributed unit loads required by Table 1607.1.

(from Table 1607.1)
    39. Vehicle barriers See Section 1607.7.3

1607.7.3 Vehicle barriers. Vehicle barrier systems for passenger cars shall be designed to resist a single load of 6,000 pounds (26.70 kN) applied horizontally in any direction to the barrier system and shall have anchorage or attachment capable of transmitting this load to the structure. For design of the system, the load shall be assumed to act at a minimum height of 1 foot, 6 inches (457 mm) above the floor or ramp surface on an area not to exceed 1 square foot (305 mm2), and is not required to be assumed to act concurrently with any handrail or guard loadings specified in the preceding paragraphs of Section 1607.7.1. Garages accommodating trucks and buses shall be designed in accordance with an approved method that contains provision for traffic railings.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

I say you should make the parking spaces adjacent to the building parallel with the exterior wall. These will be the favorite spots as they are closest to the door, will always be occupied, and will provide a layer of protection from the t-boners you are concerned about.

Lee Nettnin Guest

Thanks Jerry, I did think about suggesting that the handicap 8' isle way be placed in front of the door, which would automatically make it a No Parking zone.

A.D. Miller, It would be nice to make the parking spaces parallel to the building, but the owner is already in trouble with having enough parking spaces and that would significantly reduce the available parking spaces as this is the only available parking area.

Thank-you all for your responses, I will 'suggest' some type of barrier and leave it at that.

Lee

Thanks Jerry, I did think about suggesting that the handicap 8' isle way be placed in front of the door, which would automatically make it a No Parking zone.
    Can't place it "in front of the door" as there needs to be an egress exit path out, should not be ANY spaces in front of the door. Place it (them) off to each side of that designated egress exit path.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Lee Nettnin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Can't place it "in front of the door" as there needs to be an egress exit path out, should not be ANY spaces in front of the door. Place it (them) off to each side of that designated egress exit path.
    Hi Jerry,
    I know the handicap parking space cannot be in front of the door, but are you saying the 8 foot access isle (which is required, with signage, to be No Parking) is also not allowed to be in front of the door? And that would be because if a handicap individual was using the access isle and let say there was a fire, the egress path might be blocked?
    Thanks, Lee

Christopher Gorton Guest

A long brick planter box could provide both function and form, popular at council meetings too.