Dan Tucker Guest

Default Price shoppers and New inspectors

First off let me say this is the first time for me to post on this site. I read the posts and responses all the time. So why do I wait till now to post? Reggie Miller a new inspector asked about pricing and got several good answers from several inspectors. Then there were the ones that talked about responding to the callers by telling about how to throw out ways to see how new the other inspectors might be, as this means that they don’t know what they are doing. I think then a few other things were thrown out as ways to build yourself up off cutting the others down. Reggie, Never refer to any of the other inspectors or inspection companies when trying to get business. When you do you have put even more questions in the head of the caller, like why does this guy have to cut down his follow inspectors to gain business. When called about cost ask them where is the house located? ( Oh, that a nice area, are you just moving into this areas or just changing houses.) I moving here from anywhere USA. ( Well as you may know our homes and soil conditions will be different from Anywhere USA. Did you own a home there? Well No, this will be Our first home.( Great, first home and moving all at the same time, that can be exciting. Do you have a realtor your working with? Yes I do he/she is…. ( Well having a good realtor can sure be a plus in finding the right house. Has ……… been a help to you….. ( yes, matter of a fact she gave us a list of inspectors in this area thats how I got your name. ( I appreciate that, now let me see if I can help you make sure that this is a right house for you. Then Reggie take it from there and tell them what you are going to look at when you inspect, ask if they saw anything that was of concern to them. Now you have moved pasted the “HOW MUCH” cold call to the I am available to inspected on this date call. I and my office personnel use this everyday. We close approximately 80 percent on this first call and many never ask how much. As someone else stated; you being new other inspectors will call for prices. When you engage like I suggest they will usually end the call as quick as they can. I have never understood this. If you want to know what I charge call my office, tell them you’re a inspector and they will be happy to tell you what I charge. They will then ask that once you set your prices to let us know, because if you are inspecting in our area we like to be at least $50.00 above anyone else. Every inspector in my area knows this to be true. I don’t care what the other inspector’s licenses numbers are or what he has to say about me. I am too busy inspecting houses and working on my education in the fields that I hold licenses and certifications in.
    Sell yourself and your knowledge and you will be successful.
    Dan Tucker
    TREC LIC # 1567 (issued May 10 1985) don’t hold that number against me!

One other thing on May 18 of this year I inspected house number 25000.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Price shoppers and New inspectors

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tucker View Post
    TREC LIC # 1567 (issued May 10 1985) don’t hold that number against me!

One other thing on May 18 of this year I inspected house number 25000.
    Wow, that is over 1,000 inspections a year! How many other inspectors work with you?

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Wow, that is over 1,000 inspections a year! How many other inspectors work with you?
    SP: Precisely, it is 1041.67 inspections per year. That is 2.85 inspections per day, every day, 365 days a year, for 25 years. So then, guess who is bullshifting?

Ted Menelly Guest

If you look at his website the number says far less in one area and then if you go to the types of inspections it is several different type like draw and such, lead etc. It actually says 15,000 on one page.

Anyway...Nothing against the gentleman at all but all multi inspector companies boast massive amount of inspections and the owner always has it sound like he did them all.

His quote..not mine...

"One other thing on May 18 of this year I inspected house number 25000" As in there may have been 25,000 but that was his company in total

I've been at this gig full time since 1995 and I'm right at the 5,000 mark!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I've been at this gig full time since 1995 and I'm right at the 5,000 mark!
    6.41 per week every single week for 15 years and that is at 52 weeks a year. You must admit Scott even that is a bit tough to swallow unless there are a lot of 1 hour draws in there and I mean a lot. Busy times, slow times, no times, almost 7 a week every week with out fail. Gotta love it.

Scott's number ain't so unreasonable.

I've had lots of weeks over the years at 13 a week. Course at two a day and one on Sunday, that makes for a long week. Especially when they come several in a row. We each get to choose how hard we want to work.

But slow times make up for it.

Most of us are like squirrels gathering up all the nuts we can for winter! Cause you know there's going to be much slower weeks then.

-

Erby Crofutt, Georgetown, KY - Read my Blog here: Erby the Central Kentucky Home Inspector B4 U Close Home Inspections www.b4uclose.com www.kentuckyradon.com
    Find on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/B4UCloseInspections

Dan Tucker Guest

First you guys miss the point of my post. When you learn to try and help the new ones when they ask for it instead of finding something negative to write about, you then help yourself. Like I said this was my first post and most likely this one will be the last. I find no valve in trying to run others down or letting others try to run me down. I know some of you still won’t get it.
    Second To all of you “new guys” and the ones on this board who are here for the purpose of helping yourself and others, stick with it. Educate yourself in this field everyday. Just by reading updates and professional journals you can improve your inspections and your reputation by the quality of your work.
    Learn how to close the cold calls. The point I made in my first post is that just by asking a few harmless questions and showing that you may actually care about helping them and not just selling an inspection you will earn their trust and business. Then do your job to the best of your training and when you run into something you don’t understand ask for help. Find someone in the business you can get help from. It appears that some of the guys on this site want to help and that’s good, but try making personal contact (eye to eye) with someone. You can get together over lunch and talk about the business. When I first started there were three inspectors here. They knew each other and their families. When I started my business I was invited to their biweekly lunch. The talk was not always about inspections but if a question was asked it was discussed and a answer was provided. I am sorry to say one day you look up and see that now you’re the oldest guy doing inspections and your friends are all gone (One retired, two decreased). You may think this is corny, but they made me the inspector I am by filling in the blanks when help was needed. We did not belong to any organizations, didn’t have meetings or dues, we were four business men in the same line of work that by helping each other we helped ourselves and made the realtors, builders, lenders, an title companies all take notice and that made our jobs easier.
    So to the ones who again will only find fault with what I have written there is nothing anyone can say to them that they won’t find fault with. To the ones that see all I am trying to do is honor the three men who help me by trying to do the same if I can help you drop me an email and maybe we can find the answers. I know a few good men in our industry that are good resources.
    By the way the number is correct. But by your narrow view and your math you can’t see how this is possible. I am a one man and one apprentice office. I pay my apprentices and in return it takes two years before I am finished with them. At that time they move on and start their own business, not just in Texas. My current one came from California to interview. I train one at a time and when I am finished they have more than just a TREC number. Also they know the answer of how that number is true, and with just that knowledge they will be more successful than you math geniuses. If you had just asked, instead of calling me a liar I would have told you and then you would have learned something and I would have felt good about passing on something that would help you make more money. Because I do truly believe that helping others is the best gift I can GET.

There are people on this board who would post inspection numbers that I would be skeptical of. Scott P. isn't one of them.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Ron Bibler Guest

Welcome to the board Dan... It can and will get hot around this place. numbers don't say much around this place. I've been inspecting for 30 plus years now. But some of these young inspectors on this board have way more knowledge then I do. We all have something to ad or take...

Best

Ron

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Tucker View Post
    First you guys miss the point of my post. When you learn to try and help the new ones when they ask for it instead of finding something negative to write about, you then help yourself. Like I said this was my first post and most likely this one will be the last. I find no valve in trying to run others down or letting others try to run me down. I know some of you still won’t get it.
    Second To all of you “new guys” and the ones on this board who are here for the purpose of helping yourself and others, stick with it. Educate yourself in this field everyday. Just by reading updates and professional journals you can improve your inspections and your reputation by the quality of your work.
    Learn how to close the cold calls. The point I made in my first post is that just by asking a few harmless questions and showing that you may actually care about helping them and not just selling an inspection you will earn their trust and business. Then do your job to the best of your training and when you run into something you don’t understand ask for help. Find someone in the business you can get help from. It appears that some of the guys on this site want to help and that’s good, but try making personal contact (eye to eye) with someone. You can get together over lunch and talk about the business. When I first started there were three inspectors here. They knew each other and their families. When I started my business I was invited to their biweekly lunch. The talk was not always about inspections but if a question was asked it was discussed and a answer was provided. I am sorry to say one day you look up and see that now you’re the oldest guy doing inspections and your friends are all gone (One retired, two decreased). You may think this is corny, but they made me the inspector I am by filling in the blanks when help was needed. We did not belong to any organizations, didn’t have meetings or dues, we were four business men in the same line of work that by helping each other we helped ourselves and made the realtors, builders, lenders, an title companies all take notice and that made our jobs easier.
    So to the ones who again will only find fault with what I have written there is nothing anyone can say to them that they won’t find fault with. To the ones that see all I am trying to do is honor the three men who help me by trying to do the same if I can help you drop me an email and maybe we can find the answers. I know a few good men in our industry that are good resources.
    By the way the number is correct. But by your narrow view and your math you can’t see how this is possible. I am a one man and one apprentice office. I pay my apprentices and in return it takes two years before I am finished with them. At that time they move on and start their own business, not just in Texas. My current one came from California to interview. I train one at a time and when I am finished they have more than just a TREC number. Also they know the answer of how that number is true, and with just that knowledge they will be more successful than you math geniuses. If you had just asked, instead of calling me a liar I would have told you and then you would have learned something and I would have felt good about passing on something that would help you make more money. Because I do truly believe that helping others is the best gift I can GET.

Just fairly bold numbers. Math geniouses...not. Sorry if I were one to offend and was certainly not trying to.

I do believe it was apprentices and yourself and a lot of those inspections were draw of lead paint and such. Quick in and out.

You must admit one does not have to be a math wiz if one claims 25000 in basically 24 years ( by yourself) full inspections, does add up to about 3 a day every 7 days of the week for the entire 24 years welllllll...I am sure why one would cock their head a bit and say ...HUH.

I don't think anyone was getting down on you..well...maybe one. Doesn't matter anyway. I have been inspecting for 10 to 12 years full time and 20 years part time on top of that spanning three states. I can appreciate the long Trec (no pun intended).

I for one would like to meet you and talk. I am sure I will be down that way some day soon.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 10-07-2009 at 04:21 AM.

A.D. Miller Guest

By the way the number is correct.
    DT: BS.

But by your narrow view and your math you can’t see how this is possible.
    DT: The only narrow view here is your opinion of what the truth is. Math is math, your narrow grasp of it notwithstanding.

I am a one man and one apprentice office.
    DT: Unless you are a sorcerer and your help the sorcerer's apprentice, you are still FOS with your figures.

Also they know the answer of how that number is true, and with just that knowledge they will be more successful than you math geniuses.
    DT: Like attracts like.

If you had just asked, instead of calling me a liar
    DT: I did not call you a liar; it's actually worse than that. You are a bullshi*ter. Read the book "On Bullshi* by Harry G. Frankfurt, then you will understand the difference. Or try "Your Call is Important, The Truth About Bullshi*" by Laura Penny.

Pardon my use of ********. It seems that Brian cannot catch up with the 21st Century vis a vis his puritanical censorship software on this site. That is just more BS from the PC.

Last edited by A.D. Miller; 10-07-2009 at 04:32 AM.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    DT: BS.

DT: The only narrow view here is your opinion of what the truth is. Math is math, your narrow grasp of it notwithstanding.

DT: Unless you are a sorcerer and your help the sorcerer's apprentice, you are still FOS with your figures.

DT: Like attracts like.

DT: I did not call you a liar; it's actually worse than that. You are a bullshi*ter. Read the book "On Bullshi* by Harry G. Frankfurt, then you will understand the difference. Or try "Your Call is Important, The Truth About Bullshi*" by Laura Penny.

Pardon my use of ********. It seems that Brian cannot catch up with the 21st Century vis a vis his puritanical censor software on this site. That is just more BS from the PC.
    Aaron

I am kind of confused. Could you tell us how you really feel

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Aaron

I am kind of confused. Could you tell us how you really feel
    TM: You might not be able to handle it.

Ted Menelly Guest

TM: You might not be able to handle it.

I would love to talk about it but I have 6 inspections to do today

Calm down everyone. Just havin fun.

A.D. Miller Guest

I would love to talk about it but I have 6 inspections to do today

Calm down everyone. Just havin fun.
    TM: Just six?

The following numbers are based on inspections I did, not my company.

My first year I did 80 inspections.
    Many years I did over 500 per year.
    The biggest month I have ever had was about 100. I don't really remember if it was 98 or 105, I only remember it was about 100. It was over 15 years ago when I lived in Southern CA.

While I usually only do 2 per day now, it was not uncommon to do 3 per day in CA, and some times 4 (those long days of summer). I will do 3/day once in a while, as well as work Saturdays. Of course, there was a period when I took Friday's off. I consider 10/week a full week.

I do not count draw inspections, partial inspections, re-inspections, or radon tests. I only count "real" jobs.

Not long ago I did 6 condos in the same building, so I did 6 inspections that day. So much for saying it's not possible to do 6/day, and do a good job. They were all less than 900 SF.

But 1000/year for 20+ years????? Sorry, I have to call the bullshit police on that one.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    The following numbers are based on inspections I did, not my company.

My first year I did 80 inspections.
    Many years I did over 500 per year.
    The biggest month I have ever had was about 100. I don't really remember if it was 98 or 105, I only remember it was about 100. It was over 15 years ago when I lived in Southern CA.

While I usually only do 2 per day now, it was not uncommon to do 3 per day in CA, and some times 4 (those long days of summer). I will do 3/day once in a while, as well as work Saturdays. Of course, there was a period when I took Friday's off. I consider 10/week a full week.

I do not count draw inspections, partial inspections, re-inspections, or radon tests. I only count "real" jobs.

Not long ago I did 6 condos in the same building, so I did 6 inspections that day. So much for saying it's not possible to do 6/day, and do a good job. They were all less than 900 SF.

But 1000/year for 20+ years????? Sorry, I have to call the bullshit police on that one.
    JF: That's all settled then. California inspections do not count as real inspections. I somehow knew that. Big surprise!

AD,
    They are probably in the same ballpark as Texas inspections. Inflated view of self importance, unrealistic expectations, and we can't expect the "un-clean" and "un-enlightened" to fully understand.

I do know that I never want to be in an attic or a crawlspace during an earthquake ever again (did both).

A.D. Miller Guest

I do know that I never want to be in an attic or a crawlspace during an earthquake ever again (did both).
    JF: Agreed!

Ron Bibler Guest

[QUOTE=Jack Feldmann;104139]AD,
    They are probably in the same ballpark as Texas inspections. Inflated view of self importance, unrealistic expectations, and we can't expect the "un-clean" and "un-enlightened" to fully understand. QUOTE]

Some body is talking about me ?

I think we are having an earth quake now! Gotta gooooo.....

Best

Ron

6.41 per week every single week for 15 years and that is at 52 weeks a year. You must admit Scott even that is a bit tough to swallow unless there are a lot of 1 hour draws in there and I mean a lot. Busy times, slow times, no times, almost 7 a week every week with out fail. Gotta love it.
    Pretty easy to accomplish when you do 12-14 a week. That is what we use to do from around 1998 to 2004. Times were very good back then and I had inspections booked 10+ days out. This year I'm on track to hit 180-200 residential inspections if the creeks don't rise.

Now if you count draw's I would say that I'm nearing 15,000!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Well

I just got home from doing my 6th inspection. They were just little 8,000 sf homes all with pools, pool houses, spas guest quarters and all had termite inspections as well. Must admit I am a little beat. All that imaginiation is killing me.....

Just kidding. Yes I have done many per week for a long time as well. I am just jelous because now my work is about half. I think I am in the same ball Park as Scott this year. I might be lucky and do a couple hundred.

Don't tell Jim, Rick and Asron ot Neil for that matter. I have been in Garland, Allen, Carrolton and Frisco a bit lately. Strange. I started out there 5 years ago and did a couple hundred inspections when I moved to TX. Now things have slowed down again and I am getting more calls for North of Dallas than I am in my area and that is with out marketing much if any over there.

hey scott

how about that new picture profile of you.are you out dating again you devil.

charlie

A.D. Miller Guest

Well

I just got home from doing my 6th inspection. They were just little 8,000 sf homes all with pools, pool houses, spas guest quarters and all had termite inspections as well. Must admit I am a little beat. All that imaginiation is killing me.....

Just kidding. Yes I have done many per week for a long time as well. I am just jelous because now my work is about half. I think I am in the same ball Park as Scott this year. I might be lucky and do a couple hundred.

Don't tell Jim, Rick and Asron ot Neil for that matter. I have been in Garland, Allen, Carrolton and Frisco a bit lately. Strange. I started out there 5 years ago and did a couple hundred inspections when I moved to TX. Now things have slowed down again and I am getting more calls for North of Dallas than I am in my area and that is with out marketing much if any over there.
    TM: Stop whining. I cover 16 counties when I have to. That's 10,000 square miles. Nothing is off limits; not even Fort Worth.

Don't tell Jim, Rick and Asron ot Neil for that matter. I have been in Garland, Allen, Carrolton and Frisco a bit lately.
    Ted, I have been hearing rumors about you crossing over the line lately. Me and the boys are going to be watching you. You don't cross the "family", Rick knows some people that know some people, know wha'd I mean?

I advertise a 100 mile radius from Allen, so I do occasionally venture into Cow Town, Duncanville, Glen Rose, Sherman, Forney, Paris. What can I say, I enjoy traveling. Of course it is a little easier with my little buggy. I get about 30 mpg on the road unless I have to take the bigger ladder on the roof rack.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Ted Menelly Guest

TM: Stop whining. I cover 16 counties when I have to. That's 10,000 square miles. Nothing is off limits; not even Fort Worth.

I knew you packed on a little weight but not that much

Who is whining. I am happy to have the work I do.

As far as me heading 100 miles out to do an inspection. Well, I have done my traveling in life for work and just don't do it anymore. Plano and this way OK. Allen yesterday...gives me a chance to stop at the relatives on the way back. Up into Frisco , over to Denton, rounding over to Rhome and Soutwest Fort Worth and out into Weatherford and down to Cedar Hill, Desoto Ok. That is a very wide area. If I cannot find work in that amount of square miles then I might as well give up. I don't do some parts of Fort Worth and some parts of Dallas. I don't need the slums, bad neghborhoods, falling down homes and traffic.

Yeah yeah...picky picky. Not really. It is about 7 or 8 counties. I think that is far enough.

Jim

I sneek into your neighborhoods undercover. Sunglasses, plane unmarked car. I cover up the lingering yankee accent and carry a beer in one hand and a fishing pole in the other.

A.D. Miller Guest

I knew you packed on a little weight but not that much
    TM: Pretty good shot . . .