Randy King Guest

Default How Busy are You?

Hey guys wondering how your market is presently. I am from the midwest (Minnesota) and have had the last two busiest months, and then all of a sudden two weeks ago, bam nothing but one last week. If I do not get anything scheduled for this week; I will have had one for the last three weeks. Just curious how everyone elses schedules are looking and if it has been down at all. Also, do many of you notice a trend around certain times of the year that are down for instance the fourth of July, or labor day etc. and how far out and past the holiday does it seem to effect you? A week two weeks before and after? For me its seems to be the week before and after a holiday is always slower. Also when is the busiest time of the year and the slowest time of the year for you? For me the busiest is the spring months and early summer and the slowest would be winter and late fall. Please any and all input is appreciated from everyone especially the vets.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Ron Bibler Guest

Default Re: How Busy are You?

The home market is on an up one week and slow the next. that is what it has been in Calif for some time. I don't think anyone can put there finger on anything.
    Some are working and some a slow. A lot has to do with the way your company is set up.

Best

Ron

Take a tip from the realtor$ and never, ever admit that business is slow!
    Just kidding.
    Quite slow for me, these days, but I'm not exactly a "vet", and not a favorite of many realtor$, either.

Typical summer slow down period. Slows down every year about this time when schools starts and then picks back up in a few weeks then goes good till around Thanksgiving.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

I generally stay fairly busy. Saying that though. This business, no matter how good the market is a busy this week, so so next week, OK the next week, really busy the following week. Sitting on my backside the next.

This week started well until my Monday morning got rescheduled. My Tuesday morning got rescheduled. Tomorrow mornings inspection can't get the electric on without an electrician giving the OK.

That about raps up, the typical goings on. Yep, winters

What John said about telling folks you are not busy. Never do that, ever. You must create a little desperation. Let them believe you are sought after by all.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 08-06-2008 at 10:55 AM.

Randy King Guest

Thanks for the input gentleman, at least I know that I am not the only one...that always a good feeling. With that being said like Scott P. said it slows down a bit before right around when school starts and then picks up again till thanksgiving does anyone else notice trends that are similar in nature; like expressed before the effects of holidays or other similar trends when is your busiest time of the year?

There are some general annual trends but all of that seems to be out the window lately with the housing crisis and mortage meltdown.

The closed/pending sales in my area are down 30-40% over last year which was down a lot from 06. Needless to say... it's S.... L....O.....W around here. I know, I know I'm not supposed to admit it.

I just figure it's obvious becase I'm always on here posting in the middle of the day

Randy King Guest

Does anyone know how to access statistics for real estate sales, pending, closing, etc. for your area possibly for Free? I am pretty sure you can do this with MLS but I am curious if anyone knows of any sites that you can see where last year and years before were at this time compared to now. I think it would be a neat tool to cross-reference with your own current and past sales. Any input is appreciated, thanks gentleman!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy King View Post
    Does anyone know how to access statistics for real estate sales, pending, closing, etc. for your area possibly for Free? I am pretty sure you can do this with MLS but I am curious if anyone knows of any sites that you can see where last year and years before were at this time compared to now. I think it would be a neat tool to cross-reference with your own current and past sales. Any input is appreciated, thanks gentleman!

I'm a bit of a statistics nut and have spent a lot of time trying to chase down the numbers. In a nutshell every area is different and every mls seems to be more or less giving with their data.

I've had my best luck just pulling from local agents' blogs. It can take a lot of Google searches but you'll eventually stumble on somebody who has the numbers.

The closed/pending sales is the closest number I've found that tracks with my company's volume. Inventory is also somewhat of an indicator but doesn't always track as close as the closed/pending stuff.

Brandon Chew Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Randy King View Post

In my area those statistics are freely available on the website of the local REALTORS® association. You might want to check with the one that covers your area.

Ron Bibler Guest

Keep im mind that not all sales are sales just statistic.

If a bank takes back a house it shows up on the books just like a sale.

so if you have 100 sales in your are. you can bet 30% of them are bank REOs

Thats a # from my area.

Best

Ron

Kevin Luce Guest

Talked to guy from AHIT and from their records, everyone one that uses their software is slow except in Alaska.

They way their software works is that you can download 50 reports at a time. Once you get to the last 5 report, you have to download another 50 report. I would think that's how they know how busy things are out there.

I am two hours north of Seattle and overall the summer has been pretty good for us. However this week got real quiet. We do already have three bookings for next week so I think the market was just taking a break.

This is a good time to take a good look at your marketing activities in preparation for fall. We typically will have a newsletter ready to go after Labor Day, we will have a table at the local Realtor Association Education Day, I will be sponsoring the morning refreshments at one class (I get a 5 minute commercial) and 3 office presentations. This is combined with office visits to freshen the literature racks.

As the "herd thins" we are able to maintain about the same level of business but we are having to market harder to get them. Also we have raised our prices and only a few agents have even mentioned it.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Luce View Post
    Talked to guy from AHIT and from their records, everyone one that uses their software is slow except in Alaska.

They way their software works is that you can download 50 reports at a time. Once you get to the last 5 report, you have to download another 50 report. I would think that's how they know how busy things are out there.

I'm sure all of the E&O carriers are dropping our premiums because of the reduction in business..... yeah right!!

Kevin Luce Guest

I not sure how it really works but I know that Allen Insurance asks how many home inspections are you estimating that you will do for the coming year and what is the average cost per inspection. I would think that would have some kind of role (plus many other factors) on determining how much they are going to charge you.

I'm sure all of the E&O carriers are dropping our premiums because of the reduction in business..... yeah right!!
    I'm assuming that you know that I was not talking about an insurance company.

When it comes to your statement, more home inspectors are dropping E&O insurance than insurance companies dropping the price of E&O.

It would be nice to have one of the "Smilies" that showed the expression of neutral. That way we can communicate what we write as not mad, happy, upset. Just writing a comment and nothing more.

Kevin

I knew you weren't talking of an insurance company... it just made me think of the potential boom for E/O companies since there are less inspections going on that must traslate into less claims.

And although they do factor in how many inspections you're doing I think it's far from linear. Kind of like a cab fare... You're going to pay a healthy E/O premium before you've even done your first inspection.

Speaking of the overall slowdown, my brother-in-law is a UPS driver and commented the other day that his trips to the title companies to pick up closing packets are down about 75%.

Kevin Luce Guest

And although they do factor in how many inspections you're doing I think it's far from linear.
    I agree. I personally think that if somebody wrote down that they did 200 inspections one year and then wrote down that they are estimating 400 inspections for the coming year plus increase the average home inspection price, this would be one more reason why they would raise the rates.

If you did 400 inspection and then dropped down to 200 inspection per year, not sure if rate would drop too much if at all.

Tony Escamilla Guest

Wink Re: How Busy are You?

Here in Southern California, I have been busy for about a month now. Recently, crazy busy. It's a nice problem to have : ) I've noticed that the majority of my inspections are bank owned or short sales now and are quite different than past inspections. These houses are generally in bad condition, so I have to schedule more time for each inspection.

I've also lost scheduled inspections to lack of financing, but not too many. I've noticed the trend and have started modifying my advertising and website to emphasize the new emerging foreclosure market. I think that is the wave of the future for us inspectors. At some point, all these foreclosed properties have to be sold. The banks can't afford to hold them too long and will have to start offering better financing options. When that happens, it will create another frenzy for investors. Thats what I'm gearing up for : )

Anyway, that's my two cents.