Default Razor Blades in Crawlspace

Hello all,
    I've been following this site for a long time, thought I should be contributing as well. I visit all the inspector forum sites and get more out of this site than any. Rick Hurst always keep me laughing and Jerry Peck....well.... I wanna be just like him when I grow up! Other than introducing myself, I wanted to remind everyone to be so careful, especially in crawlspaces. I had an experience a while back when I was under a house dated back to the 1940s. While I was crawling under the bath, checking out the sub flooring, I kept feeling something strange under my body, not quite like dirt and when I looked down, I realized that I was laying on a thick bed of double edge razor blades! I carefully rolled over and away from them and took this pic. The only ones you can see are the ones that slid down, there were literally hundreds more above the view of the pic. I have always heard about the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet that people used to dispose of the blades, but never ran across this before, I'm sure some of you have. And to think that I sometimes I get lazy and don't bother putting on my gloves...I'm glad I did this time. I have an appointment Monday to get my tetanus shot updated. They said you should get a booster every 10 years and I can't even remember having one. Getting a booster is not something you think of often, so it may be a good idea for everyone to consider getting one.
    Pay special attention to the bath areas and stay safe.
    Kent Keith

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Razor Blades in Crawlspace

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Keith View Post
    Hello all,
    I've been following this site for a long time, thought I should be contributing as well. I visit all the inspector forum sites and get more out of this site than any. Rick Hurst always keep me laughing and Jerry Peck....well.... I wanna be just like him when I grow up! Other than introducing myself, I wanted to remind everyone to be so careful, especially in crawlspaces. I had an experience a while back when I was under a house dated back to the 1940s. While I was crawling under the bath, checking out the sub flooring, I kept feeling something strange under my body, not quite like dirt and when I looked down, I realized that I was laying on a thick bed of double edge razor blades! I carefully rolled over and away from them and took this pic. The only ones you can see are the ones that slid down, there were literally hundreds more above the view of the pic. I have always heard about the slot in the back of the medicine cabinet that people used to dispose of the blades, but never ran across this before, I'm sure some of you have. And to think that I sometimes I get lazy and don't bother putting on my gloves...I'm glad I did this time. I have an appointment Monday to get my tetanus shot updated. They said you should get a booster every 10 years and I can't even remember having one. Getting a booster is not something you think of often, so it may be a good idea for everyone to consider getting one.
    Pay special attention to the bath areas and stay safe.
    Kent Keith
    They probably had one of those bathroom medicine cabinets with the slot in the back to put your used razor blades. They did a remodel and they all fell into the crawl.

They left them there so if you were to get bit by a poisonous snake you could just slice your throat and end it all

Kent,

Welcome to the board. Appreciate your comment.

I actually grew up in a home that had the slot in the medicine cabinet just as you mentioned.

Never did I realize that the used blades actually fell into the crawlspace. I figured they just fell in betweeen the wall voids. My dad used to place in the slot but not me.

After slicing my fingers wide open the first time, I went to the Schick disposable razors that had just come out. I can remember the smell of that High Country cologne by Avon after those shaves.

As for as being like Jerry? He's not a real person but something kind of like OZ that Brian Hannigan built into the site to answer everyones question. Sorry to ruin the image of supposedly great one out there.

Rick

Ron Bibler Guest

Wellcome Kent.

Be it glass, Schick disposable razors, Dog stuff, Cat stuff, Rat stuff and yes other stuff!!! Rusty nails, snakes, spiders and frogs. in the mud, pools of water and limited access. we will inspect on.

For we are Americas HOME INSPECTORS.

Best

Ron

As for as being like Jerry? He's not a real person but something kind of like OZ that Brian Hannigan built into the site to answer everyones question. Sorry to ruin the image of supposedly great one out there.

Rick

No!!!!,
    Don't tell me that! Now I have no reason to live!

Now where did those razor blades go?........

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain ...

YouTube - Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Ted said "They probably had one of those bathroom medicine cabinets with the slot in the back to put your used razor blades. They did a remodel and they all fell into the crawl."

Another way is that many older homes had balloon framing, where there was no bottom plate. The studs went all the way down to beams carrying the load of the walls, which typically also carried the roof load. So, instead of the razor blades falling harmlessly into the stud cavity and staying there forever, the razor blades fell all the way down to the ground, harmlessly ... until a home inspector ... plumber ... electrician ... etc. crawls in under that area.

Is that asbestos I see on that pipe? And over on the left, with the flash reflecting off it?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Brian Thomas Guest

I didnt even realize there was a slot on medicine cabinets to dispose of baldes. Was that slot specifically for razor blades? Or was it just a convenient place to dispose of them?

Why not just throw them in the trash?

I am already afraid of spiders in crawl spaces, I dont wanna have to worry about slicing my hands up on someones used razor blades too

Jerry,
    No, I didn't see any asbestos anywhere. There was that old cloth covered pipe insulation on the pipes, which were rusting and in bad shape.
    BTW, I'm honored to speak to the Great Oz....hey, I thought no one can speak to the Oz!

Kent

I've got one of those medicine cabinets, and there are lots of them in my town. About once a year I'll see a pile of razor blades in the crawl space. The good old days, I guess.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post

. Was that slot specifically for razor blades?

Why not just throw them in the trash?
    Yep.

Safer than throwing them into the trash.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

No, I didn't see any asbestos anywhere. There was that old cloth covered pipe insulation on the pipes,

Kent,

That is what I am referring to.

If not asbestos, what type of insulation was it?

Oz's inquiring mind is curious.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Sure looks like asbestos don't it Jerry?

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Sure looks like asbestos don't it Jerry?

Does to me, but you really cannot tell from photo, so being there is the best place to judge whether or not to raise the alarm, but ... it sure looks like it to me.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

This thread of hazards below the house reminded me of a horrific sight several years ago.

Dont' have a picture and you'll thank me latter.

While belly crawling across the crawl space I notice this pile of white something ahead of me. As I'm shining my light across this I realize what I'm looking at was a pile of used condoms.

Seems this fool was dropping them through a hole in the floor where a gas line had been prior to an old Dearborn heater. Didn't want to stop up the toilet I guess.

I guess you could call it a sementary for the little ones that didn't make it.

rick

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Kent,

Glad to see you posting here at IN.

Kent,

By the way, I read your biography on your profile.

Major kuddos to you.

rick

Ted Menelly Guest

Kent

I hope as a fellow Fort Worth Home Inspector you were wearing a mask as you crawled across and crushed up that asbestos.

I see by your license number you received you license the same year I moved to Fort Worth and got mine. I have not seen another inspector on hear from Fort Worth.

Welcome

Hope to see you around.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Kent,

Major kuddos to you.

rick

Kent - ditto from me as well.

Rick - I met up with Kent at a CE class early this year and this was after we had been trading messages and referring some clients back and forth. He's a great guy and supportive resource.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain ...

YouTube - Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Ted said "They probably had one of those bathroom medicine cabinets with the slot in the back to put your used razor blades. They did a remodel and they all fell into the crawl."

Another way is that many older homes had balloon framing, where there was no bottom plate. The studs went all the way down to beams carrying the load of the walls, which typically also carried the roof load. So, instead of the razor blades falling harmlessly into the stud cavity and staying there forever, the razor blades fell all the way down to the ground, harmlessly ... until a home inspector ... plumber ... electrician ... etc. crawls in under that area.

Is that asbestos I see on that pipe? And over on the left, with the flash reflecting off it?
    Jerry,
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you.....had to get the kid bathed and to bed. I thought you were throwing me a trick question. I never call out a material as being asbestos, mold, lead paint ect. unless it has definitely been identified as such. Could it be? Absolutely...so could the rock on the left side of the pic LOL. Most of the pipe insulation I see in these older houses is the wool felt insulation with the fabric covering and metal bands around them, but these are usually easy to spot with the dark color of the wool. I don't think this particular house had the wool felt type since you can see an end cut of a piece in the far right side of pic, so yes there is a chance it could be. To give some background info on this house, an investor was buying it to rehab and update to flip. I was told the old galvanized pipes were going to be replaced with copper. The house had the exterior wall tiles that were the same type I had in a house I used to own (I had mine asbestos verified and decided to leave them alone), the kitchen floor tiles looked older that the hills and could contain asbestos, the popcorn on the ceilings looked like it had been there for many years and could, and I felt 99.9% sure the furnace and water flue collars at the ceiling penetration was most definitely asbestos, but I still won't call it as such. I have a canned comment in my software that says that states that these materials have a high probably of asbestos and stongly suggest testing and verification of these before any removal or alteration is to be performed. Will this investor spend the money and take my advise?......probably not. Will the city inspectors see that these materials are removed to the proper safety standards?.......probably not. Will the plumbers and contractors take proper precautions for their own safety?.....probably not. Does this disturb me?.....definitely does!
    Sorry for the long winded response, have a good weekend.
    Kent

Kent,

Major kuddos to you.

rick

Thanks Rick,
    At me being 50, he will be having to change MY soiled pants soon! Trying to get him trained in HI early.
    Kent

Jerry,
    Sorry it took so long to get back to you.....had to get the kid bathed and to bed.
    Add me to the ditto on your taking care of him. I know that can be challenging. For *any* 5 year old.

I never call out a material as being asbestos,

I have a canned comment in my software that says that states that these materials have a high probably of asbestos and stongly suggest testing and verification of these before any removal or alteration is to be performed.
    Kent,

I'm confused. (which is easy to do)

You said "I never call out a material as being asbestos,", then said "I have a canned comment in my software that says that states that these materials have a high probably of asbestos and stongly suggest testing and verification" ... ???

When I 'suspect' something is asbestos, I would strongly slap my client upside the head with it and tell them that they need to have it checked.

If that client was an investor, I would beat them into submission with it until the agreed to have it tested.

That could easily come back to haunt your investor client who is planning on flipping the house, and he could easy come back to haunt you for not making it more clear to him of the potential ... yes ... "potential" ... costs involved in removing, especially should his buyer's home inspector *point out that there is ACM/RACM or PACM in the house.

ACM = Asbestos Containing Material

RACM = Regulated Asbestos Containing Material ( Asbestos/NESHAP Regulated Asbestos Containing Materials Guidance | Region 4 | US EPA )
    "Regulated Asbestos-Containing Material" (RACM) is (a) friable asbestos material, (b) Category I non-friable ACM that has become friable, (c) Category I non-friable ACM that will be or has been subjected to sanding, grinding, cutting or abrading, or (d) Category II non-friable ACM that has a high probability of becoming or has become crumbled, pulverized, or reduced to powder by the forces expected to act on the material in the course of demolition or renovation operations.
    PACM = Possible Asbestos Containing Material

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Kent

I hope as a fellow Fort Worth Home Inspector you were wearing a mask as you crawled across and crushed up that asbestos.

I see by your license number you received you license the same year I moved to Fort Worth and got mine. I have not seen another inspector on hear from Fort Worth.

Welcome

Hope to see you around.
    Thanks Ted,
    Yes, I always put on my respirator in crawlspaces, especially since my pest guy told me about all the stuff they sprayed under houses and the cancer causing pesticides.
    We will have to meet up sometime, I have meaning to get to know a few Tarrant County inspectors for backup. It's never happened (knock on wood), but I just know someday my son will be sick and I will have appointments, so it would be nice to have someone to fill in if needed.
    Kent

Cary Seidner Guest

Here's another thing you could put your hand in, while inspecting a crawl space.

• File Type: jpg N.jpg (73.5 KB, 68 views)
    • File Type: jpg O.jpg (73.2 KB, 67 views)

Brian Thomas Guest

Thanks Rick,
    At me being 50, he will be having to change MY soiled pants soon! Trying to get him trained in HI early.
    Kent
    Hey Kent, That is one cute kid you got there.

Thumbs up Re: Razor Blades in Crawlspace

Kent, stick to your convictions. Jerry has an opinion concerning asbestos and that's his prerogative. However we are under No obligation to mention hazardous material unless we are licensed in that field. We are exempt from that worry by the SOP, so I would not even hint at hazards that are not commonly known to all people.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Thomas View Post
    Hey Kent, That is one cute kid you got there.
    Thanks Brian,
    Thank God he didn't get my looks!
    Have a great weekend.
    Kent

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Seidner View Post
    Here's another thing you could put your hand in, while inspecting a crawl space.
    Dang Cary,
    Is that a dead dog?!!
    Problem with crawlspaces is that you don't exactly what's there until you're on it.
    Kent

That is why I charge extra for crawls!

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Steve Lowery Guest

CHUPA-FREAKING-CABRA !