Default Finally a AFCI Tester

AFCI_Tester_08-16-2002

Saw this on a link I pasted on another question on AFCI's
    Before this the only "sure" way to test an AFCI was to press the test button on the breaker.

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Default Re: Finally a AFCI Tester

Not on their site nor in their current catalog:

http://www.foxmeter.com/pdf/catalog.pdf

Michael Thomas
    Paragon Property Services Inc., Chicago IL
    http://paragoninspects.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Carlisle View Post
    AFCI_Tester_08-16-2002

Saw this on a link I pasted on another question on AFCI's
    Before this the only "sure" way to test an AFCI was to press the test button on the breaker.

I would not push that as an "AFCI Tester", none of their links work to any information about it.

They are not the first to say "Finally a field tester to verify operation of arc fault circuit breakers.", nor will they likely be the last.

However, the fact remains, until proven otherwise, that the only TRUE "test" for an AFCI breaker is the "test" button on THAT particular AFCI breaker.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

How many of you actually test the AFCI's? So far, I have not. Should I be?

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    How many of you actually test the AFCI's? So far, I have not. Should I be?
    If nothing is hooked up to the outlets that might get screwed up(Grandma on her oxygen, a computer, etc.) if I trip the AFCI, then I push the button.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Everybody's clock alarm is on AFCI nowadays. PITA

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Everybody's clock alarm is on AFCI nowadays. PITA

Ours are all plugged into UPS backups. One in the spare bedroom, two in the master bedroom (one on my side of the bed and one on my wife's side of the bed) and two in the office (one for my computer and one for my wife's computer), with one in the motor home, and ...

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I test by pushing the button if the house is unoccupied. Otherwise I declare not tested in the report.

As already mentioned, too many computers, clocks, etc in bedrooms to bother messing with testing. I state in my report that they were not tested.

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Ramsey View Post
    I test by pushing the button if the house is unoccupied. Otherwise I declare not tested in the report.

As already mentioned, too many computers, clocks, etc in bedrooms to bother messing with testing. I state in my report that they were not tested.

Not saying you are right or wrong but just curious. Why do you and so many others worry about if the clocks or computers etc are on.

I have about one person every five years voice their displesure that that had to reset everything. Even thoughs end in saying "I know you just have to do your job"

Just curious thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Not saying you are right or wrong but just curious. Why do you and so many others worry about if the clocks or computers etc are on.

I have about one person every five years voice their displesure that that had to reset everything. Even thoughs end in saying "I know you just have to do your job"

Just curious thats all.
    Just being considerate and treating folks like I would want to be treated. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    Just being considerate and treating folks like I would want to be treated. Pretty simple if you ask me.
    Nah......Its called testing everything possible with out a little thing like reseting a clock getting in the way. At the count of hundreds and hundreds to 1 and the one having an irritation problem with it (or the only one stating or voicing the irritation I would think almost all understand. If you asked the seller if they wanted their inspector on their new home to test the Arc Fault I can just about garranty they will say yes.

Thats not being inconsiderate Scott. Thats just doing the job one is paid for.

Do you test the GFCI in a kitchen if some one has there answering machine and cell phone plugged in on the kitchen counter or do you just say, "nope, I'm not testing that one?"

Just curious. I think everyone is pretty understanding of the job needed to be done.

The link I provided came from a Mike Holt newsletter. It may have been an old newsletter and they determined it didn't actually do what they thought.

I agree the best way is to use the test button on the breaker itself. That is what we do on a final then check to make sure that all receptacles and light switches are without power.

It's not the BEST way -
    It's the ONLY way.
    The test button on AFCI / GFCI breakers are only way recognized by the manufactures to test these devices.