Default Gas Piping Connection

I am concerned about this connection. It appears that there is some condensation on the connection which could be from a leak. Any opinions?

Jim Murphy

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Gas Piping Connection

Do you think it could be leaking gas from all three connections? It may be residue and corrosion due to the flux used in the soldering process. Are there any pics of other gas pipe connections?

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

NFPA 54 states that nonferrous gas pipe connections can only be brazed with a material that has a melting point in excess of 1000 degrees F. If these are soldered joints they would not be acceptable. Also if the gas contains certain amounts of hyrdogen sulfide, copper pipe is not alowed. I assume this is because it could cause a reaction with the pipe or sealing compounds which might be what your seeing. I would check with the local gas supplier for their opinion.

Galen L. Beasley
    Inspections Supervisor
    Housing Authority of Kansas City MO

David Moore Guest

Galen, you make several excellent points - thank you Sir!
    I have seen something like this in the past and now I will add some of your language to my reports for when I see it again.
    I never considered checking for the presence of simple soldered connections on copper gas lines.
    Just another reason to like black pipe over the softer/flexible stuff...
    David Moore

Steve Lowery Guest

Such sweet Joints, too! Obviously a professional job.

David Bell Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Galen L. Beasley View Post
    NFPA 54 states that nonferrous gas pipe connections can only be brazed with a material that has a melting point in excess of 1000 degrees F. If these are soldered joints they would not be acceptable. Also if the gas contains certain amounts of hyrdogen sulfide, copper pipe is not alowed. I assume this is because it could cause a reaction with the pipe or sealing compounds which might be what your seeing. I would check with the local gas supplier for their opinion.
    Silver solder melts at between 1200 and 1800 degrees depending on the exact makeup, some have cadmium added to reduce temp.

Zibby Bujno Guest

besides that pipe was not cleaned after soldering (left over paste will corrode pipe), its also not secured properly.

Widdershins Saunders Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Galen L. Beasley View Post
    Judging by the blackening and stippling of the tubing, (signs of excess heat) I'd say these are brazed joints -- Soldering at temperatures high enough to cause that kind of blackening and stippling would have burned out the flux and the solder wouldn't have stuck to the tubing, let alone flowed into the fitting.

Poor craftsmanship -- A person interested in craftsmanship would have wiped and burnished the tee and the tubing and supported it better than is presented.