mathew stouffer Guest

Default Did you inspect the roof? Yes it was white:)

Some areas of this roof had at least ten feet of snow on it. Buyer wanted to know if I looked at the roof Sure did, it was white. They were surprised there was an ice dam. The house is new! What do you tell your clients if they ask you to return after the snow has melted to check the roof. Additional cost, or return visit included in the inspection?

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Did you inspect the roof? Yes it was white:)

Depends on the client, how much they paid for the initial inspection and general condition of the home. If they were dumb enough to ask if you could see the roof I would say charge them again. Sometimes people remeber things they pay for.
    I just say. Sure I can get on the roof, but the snow has to be removed first. And that will be quite expensive!!
    How much?
    How Much do you have?

mathew stouffer Guest

I think have they a lot, the home was ten million But rich people can be tight

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mathew stouffer View Post
    I think have they a lot, the home was ten million But rich people can be tight
    Is any home really worth 10,000,000.00

What was it? 50,000 sf at 200 a foot or 25,000 sf at 400 a sf or 12,000 at 800 per sf

No home in worth 10,000,000 with the exception of those who talk each other into it. It is like bad art work that a particular group of artists think is so wonderful and some dog actually rolled around in paint to create it. Some schmo was convinced of its great value and bought it for 10,000.00. Now the artists work for his dog rolling around on a canvas is worth a fortune for all his future work.

I have see several 10,000,000 dollar homes and thought they were wonderful, gorgeous, architectural master pieces. But, they were not worth anywhere near the questioned value.

It is all in the perception presented and perceived.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Is any home really worth 10,000,000.00

It is all in the perception presented and perceived.
    Or in the property/land value...

Egbert Jager
    Diamond Home Inspection
    http://www.diamondhomeinspection.ca

mathew stouffer Guest

Is a beer really worth 9 dollars at a baseball game

mathew stouffer Guest

No! But if you have the money, you buy it. So does that make you a schmo

Matthew:

Seriously, what we should consider as inspectors is reducing our fee when we can't fulfill the inspection requirements. With snow like that you also can't comment on the grading around the house, decks and patios, walks and drives etc. What would seem to make more economic sense is pricing for a return trip with travel expense figured in.

Clients who question full rates for partial inspections have a fair and valid point and I would find it difficult to argue against.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Just this year I have had three homes that I discounted my fee by $25 for not being able to inspect a crawlspace due to the small entrance size (12"x24") and two homes had snow on their roofs.

I told the clients that it was impossible to inspect them at this time and I would take off $25 from the fee. In the report I stated pretty much the same thing. I also explained that if they wanted me to come back to inspect them when the access was larger and the snow was gone that I would need to charge them my trip fee or my hourly fee of $175. All three home buyers never did ask me to come back to inspect the areas I could not see during the original inspection.

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 04-10-2011 at 07:52 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Barker View Post
    Matthew:

Seriously, what we should consider as inspectors is reducing our fee when we can't fulfill the inspection requirements. With snow like that you also can't comment on the grading around the house, decks and patios, walks and drives etc. What would seem to make more economic sense is pricing for a return trip with travel expense figured in.

Clients who question full rates for partial inspections have a fair and valid point and I would find it difficult to argue against.

Ifr a crawl is inaccessible it is not your fault the morning or afternoon time is still used. Knowing up front is one thing such as a few feet of snow on the ground and roof. Water not being on is still not an excuse to discount. You had no way of knowing other than what6 you were told about the utilities.

In most cases you spend a bit more time on other items and or explanations and almost the same time on the report.

We only get paid for our time. Our time is set for a morning or afternoon inspection unless it is a larger home and you alloted all day.

Again, I do see the point of grounds and roof covered in many feet of snow and I certainly would not have gotten on any roof with several feet of snow and ice dams. As a matter of fact I would not have walked around the outside of the home to closely with what looks like a 6 to 8 inch ice dam over my head.

Knowledge up front is one thing. Unexpected items that cannot be inspected is quite another. If I could only visually inspect the plumbing because the water was not on I will go back for a quick drive by and run all the water items and depending on how far away it my only be a 100 bucks. Lots of distance and or traffic it would be half the inspection fee.

The way I see it; your liability is the same even if you reduce your price.

I have always disclaimed snow covered roofs and put the onus back on the client to query vendor as to age, condition, warranties if transferable for newer roofs.

I don't go back to properties to check the AC if its shut off for winter months, I disclaim it and state why it was not tested.

Matthew,

Tell me those are not your footprints across the top of that roof?

rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Matthew,

Tell me those are not your footprints across the top of that roof?

rick
    Opppps ...why do I suspect if Matt answers this question he's going to get a big Texas scolding from Uncle Rick

Phoenix AZ Resale Home, Mobile Home, New Home Warranty Inspections. ASHI Certified Inspector #206929 Arizona Certified Inspector # 38440
    www.inspectaz.com

Matthew, I would charge them full price and offer to come back for an addition fee. the reason for this is your there now to do the job. it is not your fault there is snow. Now that being said think about it what are you going to see with the snow there?? you are going to see where the snow is and what it is doing there. if there is ice damming and leaking from it. these and other things you can see with the snow there that you wouldn't when the sun is out and the snow is gone. basically it is a double edged sword. just be careful how you use it and don't cut yourself or your prices. They have the money so it is not a really an issue on that level for them. also try and sell them on the idea that later they might want you to investigate other things when you come back that they have discovered by living there but are not sure of. Your not going to get everything the first time even if you get most of it and also things change in time thru use and wear and tear.
    imo.

As for the foot prints in time they will melt away destroying any evidence you were ever there. now all you have to do is get Rick to back you up on that!

By the time the snow melts the purchaser may have already moved in. Several months could have transpired before anyone can look at the roof. This is why its important to disclaim it when snow covered. Returning after the snow has melted could leave on in the breach.

This is why its important to state to the purchaser to query vendor as to age, warranties from installer and manufacturer if available.

Also if the inspector queries vendor as to age and the vendor replies the shingles are close to 20 years old I would put that in the report and likely would say due to age the shingles may need replacement and budget accordingly.

Raymond, something the purchaser can put into their contract to buy is a clause that because the roof is currently uninspectable properly at this time that a $ amout is to be held back til can be properly inspected and/or the repairs or what is needed to be sorted out then in good faith. everything can be negoiated, it is just a question of do they put it in or pass on the idea and take the chance. you can ask all you like and people can lie to you, but if it is in the contract your better covered. As to the home inspector, report what you can see and to what you can't see. leave it up to the buyer to decide what they want to do. as to how they put in a clause give them the idea and let their lawyer deal with it if they are concerned about it.