Thread: crazy toilet

Default crazy toilet

I don't recall ever seeing crazing like this on a toilet. Any opinions?

crazed toilet.jpg

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1
    "There is no exception to the rule that every rule has an exception." -James Thurber, writer and cartoonist (1894-1961)
    www.ArnoldHomeInspections.com

Default Re: crazy toilet

I've seen this before, but don't have a real reason. Perhaps from expansion/contraction.

Steven Turetsky, UID #16000002314
    homeinspectionsnewyork.com
    eifsinspectionsnewyork.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Turetsky View Post
    I've seen this before, but don't have a real reason. Perhaps from expansion/contraction.
    And over-tightening of the floor mounting bolts; could also be the floor is not level and there are point load contacts at the bottom of the toilet (but I'm thinking the over-tightening part is more likely); or may be bolted to a metal floor flange which is secured to a cast iron pipe and the pipe moves, this movement tries to flex a very rigid and brittle toilet. Just some more guesses to go along with those from Steven.

Regardless of the cause, it is time to replace that toilet.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

The old floor rotted away from leaks so it was replaced and re-used. Also, I agree with overtightening the bolts although I usually see a chunk break off and not jigsaw puzzle the entire side. I usually see this on the left anatomical side of the toilet. This is due to right handed people leaning left to "do their paperwork", which puts great strain on that side flange. It is a leading cause of fracturing the closet flange, which leads to rotted floors. Maybe toilets should come with outriggers? ;-)

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harper View Post
    The old floor rotted away from leaks so it was replaced and re-used. Also, I agree with overtightening the bolts although I usually see a chunk break off and not jigsaw puzzle the entire side. I usually see this on the left anatomical side of the toilet. This is due to right handed people leaning left to "do their paperwork", which puts great strain on that side flange. It is a leading cause of fracturing the closet flange, which leads to rotted floors. Maybe toilets should come with outriggers? ;-)
    Bob, I can tell you've devoted some indepth thought to this subject.

Right handed people really should learn to wipe with the left, eat and shake hands with the right.

Raw OSB under a cracked toilet, very nice.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Quote Originally Posted by John Kogel View Post
    Right handed people really should learn to wipe with the left, eat and shake hands with the right.

I'm right handed, but uh...well.. clean myself using my left.
    I broke my right arm 13 years ago, and it's some what painful to bend my wrist ever since.

' correct a wise man and you gain a friend... correct a fool and he'll bloody your nose'.

Matt Fletcher Guest

I see that pretty often in 100 year old houses. I see it in sinks, toilets and ceramic tiles in baths, fire-places and kitchens. I think it's age.

www.MIproperty.com
    Grosse Pointe Home Inspectors

Interesting analogy Bob. I can see where you do your best thinking.

Only way to prevent this is to ride "Side Saddle"

Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    I don't recall ever seeing crazing like this on a toilet. Any opinions?

crazed toilet.jpg
    All the overtightening options seem like good possibilities. My first thought when I saw the picture was that it looked like there was rust around the bolt. If a steel washer was used instead of brass, the thickening from rusting might add enough pressure to crack the porcelain. However the cracks don't seem to radiate out from the bolt.

Not sure what climate we're talking about, but I wonder if freezing might be the cause.

homeXam.ca - Home inspections in Ottawa, Canada

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Internal crack bowl, intergal trap, etc. then bowl (re)filled, and introduction of toilet cleaner and/or dyed toilet freshner. Either fracture/defective when installed, abuse, or as Robert posted, freezing damage. Most often seen neck damage when installed by ill-equipped non-plumber in tight quarters, inappropriate use of snake instead of toilet auger or incorrect use of same, or failure to winterize properly or use of toilet after winterization followed by freezing temps. The introduction of water weight, use, and sno bowl, zud, bowl cleaner, or the like causes the crack pattern as the unglazed areas are saturated. The installation upon unsealed, unfinished, unsanitary, porous, and therefore unstable subflooring and subsequent use is a recipe for damage to water closet and waste plumbing.

Cool paperwork

Just wanted you guys to appreciate someone who works so diligently at studying how they handle their paperwork. ;-)

Actually, it is an insult to wave at Muslims with your left hand supposedly because that's their, uh, "special" hand...

As for technique, little girls are taught 'front to back' to prevent UTI's-never the reverse.

Personally, I'd like one of those high tech Japanese versions that mimic a car wash: Simonize, buffing wheels, fresh scent, etc.

I think this is getting too deep so I'm going to bail. You can thank me later ;-)

Keep the fire in the fireplace.

Default Re: paperwork

You can thank me later ;-)
    Thanks Bob!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.