Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Default New House Panel - Potential Issues

I saw this in the service panel of a new construction house this afternoon. The 1st pic shows what appears to be evidence of arcing on the hot bus bar. It looks like somebody hit about 4 stabs at once and created some attention grabbing arcing. Does this pose any issue moving forward like rendering those stabs unacceptable for breaker installations or void any warranty from the panel manufacturer?

The second pic shows how all the breakers in the panel are labeled. For a 200 amp panel in a 2700 square foot house, I expected to see more breakers. Are there any code issues at play here with the way some of these circuits are set up? Some have 3-4 different areas wired to the same circuit.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Nick Ostrowski; 05-09-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: correct my terminology
    Inspection Referral
    "It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

Robert Meier Guest

Default Re: New House Panel - Potential Issues

IMO those particular bus stabs have been compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    I usually don't worry too much about things like this if they're not right on the stab, but I COMPLETELY agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Ostrowski View Post
    The second pic shows how all the breakers in the panel are labeled. For a 200 amp panel in a 2700 square foot house, I expected to see more breakers. Are there any code issues at play here with the way some of these circuits are set up? Some have 3-4 different areas wired to the same circuit.
    That's IT???
    I don't know how they got away with it, but I will say, the letter of the code allows for quite a large ares on one 15A circuit. You have to remember, in the US residential general lighting and receptacle circuits are covered in the 3va/sq ft load calc. There is NO limit to receptacle on a circuit.

IMO that panel shows the bare minimum for a house that size. I'd guess spec house, all-in-one contractor with little regard for customer satisfaction, or a completely clueless/careless owner who got taken advantage of.

I'm wondering now if maybe the builder set the breakers up in this manner to avoid using the stabs that have the arcing damage.

"It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man". - Jack Handey

I'm wondering now if maybe the builder set the breakers up in this manner to avoid using the stabs that have the arcing damage.
    There's plenty of good stabs there that can still be used. I think the spark show scared him away.

For Canadian inspectors lurking here, the CEC allows no more than 12 fixtures or duplex receptacles on one 15 amp circuit. 20 amp, 16 outlets.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

But is the bottom section of that bus bar suitable for future use? What are the chances any breakers connected to those stabs could have poor contact and arc? I don't know that I would feel comfortable using those stabs in my own house.

But is the bottom section of that bus bar suitable for future use? What are the chances any breakers connected to those stabs could have poor contact and arc? I don't know that I would feel comfortable using those stabs in my own house.
    I should have said it looks like 4.5 tabs are still OK, which would be good for about 50 15 amp outlets.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Nick, I'm curious about how you were able to see the panel bus bars exposed like that (pic #1). Did you remove the breakers as part of your routine?

Does this pose any issue moving forward like rendering those stabs unacceptable for breaker installations or void any warranty from the panel manufacturer?
    Yes. If the buyer decides to accept the panel as is he'll likely have to deal with it when he sells the home down the road and another inspector calls it out.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Locurcio View Post
    Nick, I'm curious about how you were able to see the panel bus bars exposed like that (pic #1). Did you remove the breakers as part of your routine?
    There were no breakers installed on those affected stabs. Once I removed the deadfront cover, they were fully exposed. Those stabs were in the lower half of the panel

cuba_pete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Meier View Post
    I second that...we wouldn't even accept that for government work! If I laid my eyes on that it would come out!

Lou Romano Guest

I saw this in the service panel of a new construction house this afternoon. The 1st pic shows what appears to be evidence of arcing on the hot bus bar. It looks like somebody hit about 4 stabs at once and created some attention grabbing arcing. Does this pose any issue moving forward like rendering those stabs unacceptable for breaker installations or void any warranty from the panel manufacturer?

This house probably has all gas appliances; stove, dryer, water heater, heat etc... That would explain the minimal amount of big loads in the panel.

As for the stabs being compromised, that goes without saying! However if the spaces aren't needed and not used there is no need to replace the panel at this time.

Last edited by Lou Romano; 05-12-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Romano View Post

As for the stabs being compromised, that goes without saying! However if the spaces aren't needed and not used there is no need to replace the panel at this time.
    I'm surprised you would say this considering your signature.

A MUCH mroe accurate quote would be:
    "NEC is the "minimum requirement" so compliance with NEC means you did the minimum SAFE job you were allowed to get away with! "

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Romano View Post
    This house probably has all gas appliances; stove, dryer, water heater, heat etc... That would explain the minimal amount of big loads in the panel.

At some point, the house is going to be sold again and the seller (my client) will need to try and convince the buyers it is a non issue. The builders should just suck it up and replace the panel.

Lou Romano Guest

At some point, the house is going to be sold again and the seller (my client) will need to try and convince the buyers it is a non issue. The builders should just suck it up and replace the panel.
    Yes, you're right! The builder should replace the panel IF this happened during construction. The electrical inspector who signed off on the job should have demanded it be replaced IF it was damaged prior to final. And the current homeowner should pay to have it replaced if he is selling the house!

I understand the dilemma you face, however the panel could last as is for just as long as a new one (it is a new one) if those spaces are not used. I wouldn't replace it if it were in my own house until I needed more space!

Totally irrelevant question, but what could have possibly gotten across that many tabs at once?

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

temp power GF cordsets open neutral along with the hot(s) for protection of workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Harbeck View Post
    Totally irrelevant question, but what could have possibly gotten across that many tabs at once?

I wondered the same thing Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Harbeck View Post
    An unruly bare ground wire.
    No that it's ever happened to me. Nope. Never. Not once.

OK, once.