James Duffin Guest

Default When was deck flashing first required?

Does anyone know which code cycle first required flashing between the house and deck?

Thanks!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: When was deck flashing first required?

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post
    Does anyone know which code cycle first required flashing between the house and deck?

Thanks!
    Flashing has always been required to keep water from entering and damaging the structure. It does not matter if it is a deck, a window, door, etc..

I do not think decks were really addressed untill 2006 in R703.8

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

James Duffin Guest

Thanks!

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by James Duffin View Post

Thanks!
    Actually since the first deck was ever built. It was just that no one or hardly no one ever added it until someone told them they had to. It always amazes me how folks will do something a certain way until something in a book somewhere tells them they have to do it right

Is there any current IRC or other code language that mentions Z flashing at the ledger board?

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Is there any current IRC or other code language that mentions Z flashing at the ledger board?
    Nope, not by name/design. R703.8 is about as close as it gets.

Codes do not provide common sense, just the minimal requirement!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    Does it matter?

Lack of proper flashing allows water to become trapped between the ledger board and structure, creating conditions favorable for accelerated decay and oxidation of fasteners, leading to premature failure of the structure. Required or not, premature failure of a structure is generally considered to be a Bad Thing™.

I've heard that some municipalities are encouraging and even requiring freestanding designs because the ledger board connections are such a frequent failure point.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn Walker View Post
    Does it matter?

Lack of proper flashing allows water to become trapped between the ledger board and structure, creating conditions favorable for accelerated decay and oxidation of fasteners, leading to premature failure of the structure. Required or not, premature failure of a structure is generally considered to be a Bad Thing™.

I've heard that some municipalities are encouraging and even requiring freestanding designs because the ledger board connections are such a frequent failure point.

That is exactly what I tell people when that ask me about code regarding the issue. I say, "code? .....you got water intrusion, I dont need code to say its wrong"

I was just wondering if there was specific language written.