Thread: Telesteps

Daniel Leung Guest

Default Telesteps

I have a Jaws Junior ladder since 1992. I feel it was lightweight and handy until I saw a Telesteps in the Buildex tradeshow last week. Therefore, I am thinking to rich my ladder collection......

Who is using Telesteps now? Could you please tell me the pros and cons, thank you!

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

A.D. Miller Guest

Default Re: Telesteps

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post
    I have a Jaws Junior ladder since 1992. I feel it was lightweight and handy until I saw a Telesteps in the Buildex tradeshow last week. Therefore, I am thinking to rich my ladder collection......

Who is using Telesteps now? Could you please tell me the pros and cons, thank you!
    Daniel: If you collect ladders just for the novelty, then go ahead and buy one. Otherwise, buy a real ladder.

Daniel

In my opinion you should stay away from this ladder (Telestep) . Too many horror stories, possible design flaws - collapse.

Cheers,

I have one.... and use it quite a bit. It is not very sturdy, and I do consider it unsafe. It's just safer than the alternative sometimes. My biggest complaint is that it is too narrow, never mind the rest of the complaints/ failures.

If I weren't young and agile, I wouldn't use it............

Ed White Guest

I have this ladder. I use it infrequently, but some times it is handy. It fits into narrow closets which are difficult to get the wider little giant into. I bought mine for about $100 on E-bay. Sometimes I'm glad I have it.

I don't think that I would like to depend on it everyday.

Last edited by Ed White; 02-20-2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: typo

Btw I use a 10' Jaws and have for many years. No problems.

Cheers,

Daniel Leung Guest

Thank you, Aaron, Raymond, Brandon, Ed and everyone here! Grateful to have so many professional HIs for advice. I will stay with my first love - 14' Jaws, even over 17 years relationship.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

I have an Xtend n' Climb which is another model just like Telesteps. I can only speak for myself but I depend on mine at nearly every inspection. With the right types of properties, I can sometimes go for days before I have to break out the 32' extension ladder. I've used the XnC to get up to 3rd and 4th floor roofs by piggybacking it up at each roof level.

I understand the telescoping ladders may make some guys uncomfortable (especially bigger guys) with the way it can flex. But as long as you don't do anything stupid with it and take your time setting it up, it can be fine just like any other ladder. It has served me well without incident for 6 years and I wouldn't think of showing up for a job without it.

If I carried extra ones with me, I could sell them at my inspections. Clients and realtors constantly rave about the ladder when they see me break it out.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    Btw I use a 10' Jaws and have for many years. No problems.

Cheers,
    Raymond: I have three Jaws ladders that I bought in 1997. They are the lightest, strongest, and most durable ladders made. Little Giant is just that: little by comparison - except for their weight, which is considerable.

The Canadians make better ladders and better criminal detective TV shows that we do - and probably many other things to boot.

Telesteps are for Televangelists - rake in that money quick, because you're heaven bound once you climb one.

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Leung View Post

Daniels: By the way, I forgot these:

ConsumerReports.org - Consumer Reports rates 13 ladders "not acceptable" for safety risks 9/06

Also check out Telesteps at:

Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers
    Home Improvement @ The Money Pit Home Improvement Radio Show
    The Consumerist: Shoppers Bite Back

and, there are at least 20 news reports extolling the sorry condition of these "ladders". They became popular when cheapskate "inspectors" downsized to tiny vehicles that did not have sufficient room for real ladders - or real inspectors.

Ted Menelly Guest

I feel the Xtend and Climb is slightly mor ridgid. It still make sme a little nervous. If it was a little wider I would fell more comfortable to climb.have a gorilla ladder that is extremely sturdy and have had it for years. Far less expensive than the little giant.

The extend and climb is used for low one story roofs and interiors like others mentioned. It fits into those closets where the only acces to the attic is at. A lot easy bringing in and out of a home.

A.D. Miller Guest

Telesteps testing facility:

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Richard Moore Guest

They became popular when cheapskate "inspectors" downsized to tiny vehicles that did not have sufficient room for real ladders - or real inspectors.
    Hmmm...then I guess I must be a cheapskate fake inspector.
    Or, then, I might be a better inspector than some by not leaping to opinionated conclusions about everything and nothing. Or...maybe if I had really tiny reproductive parts I would feel the need to compensate with a monster truck.

I carry a 21' LG on the roof rack, but it rarely comes off and yet I walk nearly every roof (I don't attempt 12/12's etc). I've been using the same Telesteps for about 4 years now. Never had a single problem aside from occasionally replacing the rubber feet. Even if I only used it inside for attics it would still be the best bang for the buck I've had for any inspection tool. Yeah, it's a tad "flexy", but you get used to it.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    Or, then, I might be a better inspector than some by not leaping to opinionated conclusions about everything and nothing. Or...maybe if I had really tiny reproductive parts I would feel the need to compensate with a monster truck.

I carry a 21' LG on the roof rack, but it rarely comes off and yet I walk nearly every roof (I don't attempt 12/12's etc). I've been using the same Telesteps for about 4 years now. Never had a single problem aside from occasionally replacing the rubber feet. Even if I only used it inside for attics it would still be the best bang for the buck I've had for any inspection tool. Yeah, it's a tad "flexy", but you get used to it.
    Richard

"Or...maybe if I had really tiny reproductive parts I would feel the need for a monster truck. "

That was good. Didn't you think so Aaron. I liked that one.

Spring City/Surrounding Philadelphia area

Talking Re: Telesteps

Thanks for saving me from certain death Aaron. I had no idea these "ladders" were so perilous. I must be a cheapskate. Because only real inspectors carry real ladders. I'm selling all my tools now. I can't afford to risk life and limb any longer.

Some things never change.

Ordered an Xtend & Climb Commercial 1A 300lb. Rated 15.5 ft.

Extending sections are larger and more substantial than the homeowner styles.

Locking sections are positive and only One Step Section of the ladder can be unlocked at a time .
    * it was a Far Cry From Cheap $$$ or Scape.

Also like my Gorilla 17 ft and Werner 13 ft ( Both Type 1A 300lb. Rated.)

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Stephens View Post
    Ordered an Xtend & Climb Commercial 1A 300lb. Rated 15.5 ft.

Extending sections are larger and more substantial than the homeowner styles.

Locking sections are positive and only One Step Section of the ladder can be unlocked at a time .
    * it was a Far Cry From Cheap $$$ or Scape.

Also like my Gorilla 17 ft and Werner 13 ft ( Both Type 1A 300lb. Rated.)

Are we saying we have a little accumulated beer hanging off the front end Mr Bill.

Opinionated? Its not opinionated when the facts back up the reputation of these ladders. They are unsafe. I know several people who have had them collapse and have know of one inspector who is suing the manufacturer.

Do yourselves a favour do not purchase one you are playing Russian Roulette with your life and livelihood.

A.D. Miller Guest

Richard: Well, are you?

Or, then, I might be a better inspector than some by not leaping to opinionated conclusions about everything and nothing.
    Richard: Now, now, let us not make this personal.

Or...maybe if I had really tiny reproductive parts I would feel the need to compensate with a monster truck.
    Richard: Agreed.

Even if I only used it inside for attics it would still be the best bang for the buck I've had for any inspection tool.
    Richard: A true convert, are you? Freud would have a field day with that statement.

Yeah, it's a tad "flexy", but you get used to it.
    Richard: At 6'-1" and 250lbs. I like to confine my "flexy" to other avenues of pursuit than my ladders.

I have had mine for 7 years now. Nothing better for getting into an attic hatch in a small closet.

I understand that they have moved production of the ladders to a country further to the east and the quality has changed as a result. Too bad, because the old ones, although expensive, worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post

Are we saying we have a little accumulated beer hanging off the front end Mr Bill.
    No !
    * but them Little Chocolate Covered Donuts might be poking thought just a smidgen.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I have had one of those ladders for about 4 years now. Use it on every job with no problems. Just need to spray silicone on it once in awhile to make it slide better.

Maybe when I grow up I can be a big man like A.D and get real tools. My plastic screw driver is wearing out.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Schulz View Post
    I have had one of those ladders for about 4 years now. Use it on every job with no problems. Just need to spray silicone on it once in awhile to make it slide better.

Maybe when I grow up I can be a big man like A.D and get real tools. My plastic screw driver is wearing out.
    Mike: How's that rubber hammer working out for you?

Lou Collier Guest

NEWS FLASH! Home Inspectors Using Dangerous Contraptions On The Job

It has been reported that home inspectors are using extremely dangerous equipment for house inspections. These items permanently maim and injure over 100,000 people each year. More than 40,000 people are killed annually while using this poorly designed equipment. Many manufacturers of these devices have been sued for faulty construction and many lawyers have been made quite wealthy bring successful lawsuits against these manufacturers. There are constant recalls of these manufactured devices and these things cannot be trusted to perform as designed. Please stop using this equipment immediately.

It is recommended that instead of using your automotive vehicle, you use a wheelbarrow.

Next week’s article: Stairs Cause Injury and Death—Use Them At Your Own Peril

Yes but my car has built in safety features, such as ABS brakes, air bags, seat belts, but my Telesteps doesn't have any of the safety features my car does!

Ask any nurse or doctor in a emergency room about the number of people they treat who have fallen from a ladder.

Ask any nurse or doctor in a emergency room about the number of people they treat who have fallen from a ladder.

Ah, yes lets confuse the issue of GENERAL ladder safety with specific Telesteps ladder saftey.

Ladders are a safety risk. Use them wisely.

I had the 225lb rated xtend and climb. One day is stopped locking in position. Caller the distributor I bought it from. They said, no problem send it back for a replacement. I paid a few more bucks and upgraded to the 300 lb rated ladder. No more flexing and color coded locking mechanism. Works great for interior work.

I use the Little Giant for exterior climbs

"The Code is not a peak to reach but a foundation to build from."

Joel Mizrahi Guest

I'm on my third Telesteps, I've used them on thousands of inspections and never had a failure of the locking system. Very handy for attic scuttles located in closets. My most recent Telesteps is a Type 1A - 300 lb. model with a 14.5 extension. I also own Little Giant (aka Hernia Maker) and extension ladders, but the Telesteps gets the most use. Keep in mind, I weight 175 so the flex is minimal.

Ken Bates Guest

there are more Telestep imitations than there are Elvis pretenders.

Telesteps were originally made in Sweden.

There was a problem with the plastic inner rings.

I was asked to evaluate the ladder by Leonard ........ who was exclusively licensed to manufacture them in USA.

The poor copies were briefly sold at Home Depots (before the wobbly Chinese knock-offs were sold) and after 6 months American attempts to do what the Swedes can failed.

But the story continues and expands and is complex.

True, genuine Telesteps are rare. I own the Swedish improved version.

Telesteps falls into the realm of Aspirin, Jello and Xerox.

Pete Busch Guest

I could never come to trust my Telestep 12 footer so I bought a LG and love it but still use the Tele for attics because you don't have to put it up all the way and its easy to carry inside.

Does that make me a have fake inspector.

Another inspector and I coop from time to time and he has a Telestep. And yes Aaron he does drive a nice, newer, smaller SUV. Nonetheless he is a good inspector. Back to the point.
    I don't own one of these and doubt I would ever buy one. I prefer real ladders. Having said that I must admit, the thing is really great in closets or narrow hallways when trying to get up to the attic access hatch. It is much more convenient that any type of stepladder in such confined quarters.
    Every time I climb it I worry and don't entirely trust it. If I got one dirt cheap, I'd use it for closets but probably not beyond that.
    The other inspector uses it outside on the sides of houses. I value my health too much for that.

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Daniel, consensus from above, if you weigh over 200 lbs, get a real ladder.

I don't like my version of Telesteps, but use it everyday for attic hatches.
    Rungs need to be pulled up from the bottom only or it will not lock. I pull up 5 rungs, crap, a little short, need one more, can't reach, have to lower it to pull out a couple more rungs.
    The black rubber bumpers leave nasty skid marks on the walls and hatch cover, but only in the freshly painted pristine houses.

Too bad you've had a Jaws, you will never be happy with the Little Heavy Giant.

John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Markus Keller View Post
    Another inspector and I coop from time to time and he has a Telestep. And yes Aaron he does drive a nice, newer, smaller SUV. Nonetheless he is a good inspector. Back to the point.
    I don't own one of these and doubt I would ever buy one. I prefer real ladders. Having said that I must admit, the thing is really great in closets or narrow hallways when trying to get up to the attic access hatch. It is much more convenient that any type of stepladder in such confined quarters.
    Every time I climb it I worry and don't entirely trust it. If I got one dirt cheap, I'd use it for closets but probably not beyond that.
    The other inspector uses it outside on the sides of houses. I value my health too much for that.
    MK and JK: I thought this thread was dead. It should be. This subject has been covered so many times, and yet the stupid notion that these "ladders" are anything but dangerous seems to persist. Too bad Salvador Dali did not paint something called "the persistence of stupidity", else it would have resembled a moron inspector drooping over the rungs of his collapsed Telesteps.

As for a "good inspector" using such a useless tool, let's look more closely, shall we? Stupidity is simply cultivated ignorance. The information about these worthless "ladders" has been out there for years now. Anyone refusing to accept the facts about them is cultivating ignorance; hence they are stupid. If one practices stupidity in one area of life, they are apt to practice it in another, if not all areas. So then, would YOU hire a stupid inspector?

If any tradesman or repair person arrived on my doorstep with a Telesteps in hand, they would be immediately ousted accompanied by the statement, "You are too f-ing stupid to work for me!"

As for climbing on a ladder that you do not trust, that does not speak well for you. As for owning one of these little marketing wonders, that does not speak well for you either. Maybe a bit of introspection followed by a fire sale right here on this forum would cure you. Sell them cheap though. Better yet, recycle them. Maybe your next case of beer will put them to better use. Much safer too!

Tradesman, no. Inspector, "Fly at 'er, just tell me what you see up there."

You come lugging a dirty fiberglass or aluminum extension ladder into my house, "Get out !"

PS You do a risk assessment every time. Sleep on the ground in Central Africa, or climb the ladder up to the platform?

Last edited by John Kogel; 03-27-2010 at 10:45 AM.
    John Kogel, RHI, BC HI Lic #47455
    www.allsafehome.ca

Bob Garza Guest

Daniel,
    I unfortunately purchased a tele steps ladder a few years back.
    In my opinion it had a lot of flex to it, as well as one of the rubber boots always coming off.
    The last time I used it as I was trying to put the boot back on and I found a few parts from the inside coming apart.
    I thought of donating for a moment, after coming to my senses I threw it in the garbage.
    I've since purchased an Xtend n Climb. It is much more rigid and stronger than the tele steps. Good luck.

Since this subject has not gasped its last breath yet, I'll add that I've had a Telesteps ladder for 3 years and use it at most inspections. Primary use? Getting into attics and looking for tie downs on top of basement walls. I store it in a dry box, keep it clean, lube it with a silicone or teflon spray, and very importantly, check that the pins are locked before and during climbing (bump up on the treads). If you just raise it and start climbing, you could easily have an unpleasant surprise in store.

I carry a 24' Fiberglass extension ladder for outside and in garage attics with 10-12 foot ceilings. I have a 21' Little Giant that stays in the garage. It's too big, too heavy, and too cumbersome to be hauling around inside of someone's house.

The above statements are expressed solely as my opinion and in all probability will conflict with someone else's.
    Stu, Fredericksburg VA

A.D. Miller Guest

I have a 21' Little Giant that stays in the garage. It's too big, too heavy, and too cumbersome to be hauling around inside of someone's house
    SB: That includes one's own home.

A.D. Miller Guest

This thread has now turned into a confessional of sorts for the closet Telesteps owners . . .

Tom King Guest

I tried a telestep or telestep style of ladder. I stuck with my LG's and standard ladders.

That doesn't make it a bad ladder but I'm happier (feel safer) on the ladders I have.

I will throw my vote in for the xTend and Climb. I have had mine for 4 years and other than having to check EVERY TIME that the sections are locked it is my main ladder of choice. In the 4 years it has only failed me once and only a single section collapsed which scared the **** out of me but did not result in a fall. Actually it wasn't so much a ladder failure but a "user failure" to ensure the section was locked.

I would buy another if this one breaks.

//Rick

Rick Bunzel
    WWW.PacCrestInspections.com
    360-588-6956

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Garza View Post
    Daniel,
    I unfortunately purchased a tele steps ladder a few years back.
    In my opinion it had a lot of flex to it, as well as one of the rubber boots always coming off.
    The last time I used it as I was trying to put the boot back on and I found a few parts from the inside coming apart.
    I thought of donating for a moment, after coming to my senses I threw it in the garbage.
    I've since purchased an Xtend n Climb. It is much more rigid and stronger than the tele steps. Good luck.

The 300 lb rated 15 foot is the only way to go. I use it is so many tight spaces and single story homes. Yes, be careful as with any tool. I guess not one of us should by a half inch drill because it will twist your damn arm off if not careful or open an electric panel, shocking, or hit the switch to light an auto light gas log, could be a bomb waiting to go off, never walk a roof because us old farts could trip and fall off just as easy as falling off the ladder or not making sure it is locked. Darn...we could go to work with AD for the day....talk about dangerous