Default Pressure relief???

I have seen this twice recently. I am not sure I know what it is. Looks like a pressure relief. What is it called and why is it there? It was dripping at my inspection today.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance
    If it weren't for lawyers, we would never need them.

Default Re: Pressure relief???

Thermal expansion relief device. Takes the place of a tank. Someone posted a picture a while back.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Man oh man ... that water heater is just waiting to tip over.

(Setting up on blocks like that.)

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Luttrall View Post
    Thermal expansion relief device. Takes the place of a tank. Someone posted a picture a while back.
    Jim: I missed that post and cannot get the Hann's search engine to find it on here using "thermal expansion valve" as the search term. Do you know off hand where it is located?

Additionally, how will this sort of installation square with the TREC's new requirement that inspectors note as deficient the lack of a thermal expansion tank in the presence of a pressure regulator on the supply line?

Thanks

Thanks, I usually see tanks in the town that the inspection was in. So it would be normal for it to bleed off once in a while then.

Michael Larson Guest

Series: 53L
    Description: Pressure Relief Valves by Watts
    Size Range: 1/2 in. (15mm)

Series 53L Pressure Relief Valves are used in residential applications to protect against excessive pressure on domestic storage tanks and tankless water heaters. It consists of a bronze body construction with NPT threaded male inlet and NPT threaded female (drain) outlet connections, stainless steel spring, and test lever. ANSI Z21.22 approved, design certified and listed by CSA, and UL listed. Pressure Range: 75 to 175psi (5.2 to 12.1 bar), Standard Pressure Setting: 75psi (516.7 kPa), Optional Settings: 100, 125, and 150psi (6.9, 8.6, and 10.3 bar); Also available at 50psi (3.45 bar) setting.

Richard Moore Guest

I've never seen a pressure relief valve with a handle before. Looks like a ball-valve shut-off with a tee feeding cold water to somewhere.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

Quote Originally Posted by A.D. Miller View Post
    Jim: I missed that post and cannot get the Hann's search engine to find it on here using "thermal expansion valve" as the search term. Do you know off hand where it is located?

Additionally, how will this sort of installation square with the TREC's new requirement that inspectors note as deficient the lack of a thermal expansion tank in the presence of a pressure regulator on the supply line?

Thanks
    I could not find it either, but try here at the Watts site
    Watts: BRV | Combination Ball Valve and Relief Valves
    It shows a valve very much like the one in Frank's picture designed for the purpose.
    Series BRV Combination Ball Valve and Relief Valves are used in commercial and residential applications on water heater installations. It consists of a bronze body construction with a full port (reduced port with PEX connection), nickel-plated brass ball, blowout-proof brass stem, PTFE seats, stem packing, and stem thrust bearing, Viton relief ball, stainless steel relief spring, brass adapter, and steel handle (the relief valve outlet includes a drain tube connection with PEX or compression fitting models). Series BRV has a low profile design and can be installed in any position. It is for applications that require a means to shut off the water supply to the water heater and for providing protection from excess water pressure caused by thermal expansion. Pressure Rated: 400psi. Relief Valve Pressure Settings: 75, 80, 100 or 125psi (5.2, 5.5, 6.9 or 8.6 bar).
    I figure if it is protected by a thermal expansion device that TREC ought to be happy, although we might have to show them a picture, too.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

Richard Moore Guest

I've never seen a pressure relief valve with a handle before.
    And now I have!

I stand corrected. I'm sure Jim has it right.

Last edited by Richard Moore; 02-02-2009 at 05:54 PM.

Now I have a question, unless you can see a regulator... how do you know it needs a thermal expansion device?
    As we from the land of slabs know, the regulator is always buried in the front yard and is rarely visible except on new construction (if you are lucky). I know we are not required to report on stuff we cannot see, but even if I can't see the valve, they may still need the thermal expansion device.
    I have tried with varying success to sneak a pressure reading from the neighbors to see if I could get a different pressure, but that is not always an option nor accurate.
    Any ideas?

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

I would have to guess it goes to a recirculation pump. The unit already has TPR valve installed.

The valve we are talking about is NOT a TPR valve, it is a relief valve that will pop off at lower pressures to take the place of a thermal expansion tank. You would have both a TPR and the Watts valve mentioned.

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

No sediment trap in the gas line either.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Thanks Jerry, I think the sed trap was to the left in the closet where you could not see. We did note the blocks it was sitting on. By The way Jerry, those stickers on the tank were approval stickers by the city inspector. I guess they thought it was fine.

This is a thermal expansion valve. I did not get the lower end in the pic, but it was discharging above a floor drain.

I did see some information that said that a ballcock with a relief valve may be substituted for the thermal expansion tank. My question is where does the drain pipe in the photo go to. I would think that it would have to drain to the exterior or to a floor drain. Was water leaking on the floor?

Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.inspectionnews.net/home_i...5692-what.html

View The List Of InspectionNews Member Benefits!

-----------------
    Sincerely,
    Brian Hannigan
    InspectionNews.net / InspectionReferral.com
    Helping Inspectors $ucceed Since 1997TM

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/InspectionNews
    Twitter: @InspectionNews

Richard Moore Guest

OMG! Senility must be setting in. I just looked at the thread that Brian linked to and there's me, just a year ago, describing the very thing I've just now said that I've never seen before.

Someone put me down before I become dangerous!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Moore View Post
    OMG! Senility must be setting in. I just looked at the thread that Brian linked to and there's me, just a year ago, describing the very thing I've just now said that I've never seen before.

Someone put me down before I become dangerous!
    Welcome to my world Richard, I have been here for a while (I think).
    The good thing is you have fewer enemies and lots of new friends cause you can't remember the old ones names

Jim Luttrall
    www.MrInspector.net
    Plano, Texas

A.D. Miller Guest

I figure if it is protected by a thermal expansion device that TREC ought to be happy, although we might have to show them a picture, too.
    Jim: I have some pictures I'd really like to show the TREC, but I can't operate my camera while bending over that far.

Jim: I have some pictures I'd really like to show the TREC, but I can't operate my camera while bending over that far.
    You could always set the timer.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.