Default Inspection reports

Just curious what some other HI's are doing. I'm using a reporting system I like quite a bit and I was taught to fill it out at the end of the inspection, get paid and hand them the report. As the inspection takes quite some time usually, I'd rather take the report home, with my notes, fill it out under no pressure, then get it to the client. I know a lot of you do something similar but what about the payment end of things? Thanks for any help. Much appreciated Brian

Similar Threads:
    Member Benefits1

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Inspection reports

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Robertson View Post
    Just curious what some other HI's are doing. I'm using a reporting system I like quite a bit and I was taught to fill it out at the end of the inspection, get paid and hand them the report. As the inspection takes quite some time usually, I'd rather take the report home, with my notes, fill it out under no pressure, then get it to the client. I know a lot of you do something similar but what about the payment end of things? Thanks for any help. Much appreciated Brian
    You take the payment home with you. You did the inspection already. Now it is time for them to pay you for it. After all you already went over you findings with them. All you owe them now is an email copy to them. Like I said. You did your job. Collect your money and email them later.

Personally I request quite strongly but nicely in their favor, that they come in the end when I am done. If they are there the whole time is is much more possible to miss something. It also takes you much longer just for the inspection. Then you have to go home and spend more time on the report. All in all you have much more liability and are using much more time.

Also doing the inspection report on site, with out them there, you have the opportunity to go back and check on items you took your mental notes of.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 10-11-2008 at 07:05 AM.

Like Ted, I do the inspection, get paid and then go home and type the report. It gives me time to cogitate on what I have seen and, hopefully, remember things that I may have forgotten to mention.

Unlike Ted, I do not mind having the client there for the whole inspection and rather prefer it. This gives them time to look around the house, take measurements and just get familiar with the house. It also gives them a chance to see me working. When I pull out of the attic covered in insulation and perspiration and/or the foundation crawlspace covered in dirt and cobwebs, they have a chance to see what they are paying for and seem to feel better about paying my fee.

Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Thank you Ted and Gunnar, right now my clients meet me after I've finished the exterior. Ted do you have the realtor show first to let you in then the client shows up a predetermined time after that? I give the client paper,pencils and measuring tape to keep them busy while I'm doing the interior, but they are aware that that I'm checking attics and other undesirable places Gunnar cause I appreciate your feelings on that, but don't like them following me(its distracting to me right now). But I fill out the report (it's a binder and I'm content with it for now) collect payment and give them the report. I just don't enjoy doing the report there, but at the same time like to hand them something to take home if I'm collecting a cheque from them.
    Ted I chequed out Home Guage some time ago and really liked the looks of it but I am going to stick with what I've got for awhile anyways. Thank you

Many aspects of home inspecting differ by locale. Around here it is almost universal that the client comes to the entire inspection and follows the inspector around. We don't just point out problems, but teach them about where the water shut-off is, how to adjust pressure in the hot water heating system, demonstrate the tipping oven, point at the leaning chimney, etc.
    While I enjoy the occasional inspection sans client, it's really better if they attend. As Gunnar said, they can see you working hard for them. You can build a friendly relationship with them. They're less likely to call you after the inspection. Less likely to sue you. And so on.

To Ted In your reply the words "inspection report" was highlighted blue. When I put the cursor on it it said "Homeguage". BUT, I just looked at another unrelated thread and it had the same thing. Sorry I mistook that for you refering me to Homeguage but that obviously isn't what was happening! Thanks again for your reply

Brian,

That is one thing that Brian who operates this board has built in for advertising purposes. If I type in the words, Inspection report or the word Insurance they may appear in blue so you'll click on them and be forwarded to a paid advertiser. Ted may not have been referring Home Gauge at all, but because he used those words, Inspection report you got the thought he was.

That is why you'll see some posts that have the "dollar sign" $ used in words such as In$urance to prevent those things from popping up.

rick

Rick, thanks for the info. !! appreciated. Brian

Ted Menelly Guest

Thank you Ted and Gunnar, right now my clients meet me after I've finished the exterior. Ted do you have the realtor show first to let you in then the client shows up a predetermined time after that? I give the client paper,pencils and measuring tape to keep them busy while I'm doing the interior, but they are aware that that I'm checking attics and other undesirable places Gunnar cause I appreciate your feelings on that, but don't like them following me(its distracting to me right now). But I fill out the report (it's a binder and I'm content with it for now) collect payment and give them the report. I just don't enjoy doing the report there, but at the same time like to hand them something to take home if I'm collecting a cheque from them.
    Ted I chequed out Home Guage some time ago and really liked the looks of it but I am going to stick with what I've got for awhile anyways. Thank you
    No, in almost all cases here in Texas or at least the DFW area, the Realtor usually never show up at all. I email them a copy of the report when I get back to the house. When I was in Florida the Realtors like to come just in the beginning but some the whole time with the client. Honestly, to me, that was extremely annoying. There is nothing worse as far as I am concerned then when you are trying to work and you have folks intermittently all over you.

As far as Home Gauge goes or many of the software like it, it is to cumbersome and involved. I want to do my report and get it done and not have to worry about pulling this screen or that screen and searching for this and that. It adds way to much time to the report. templates for this and that. I use very bland software that is already formatted for the TREC reporting style we have to use. The basics. Some drop downs that I hardly ever use and I can add pictures. Cannot get much more simple. As far as uploading a report for the Realtor and Clients convenience , I think it is more convenient for the Realtor and Client by me just emailing it to them directly. Cannot get anymore convenient than that.

Almost all the time (8 or 9 out of ten) I do the reports on site. I like the idea of still being there in case you have a question or if you take a picture and maybe see something else that needs a look at. It also keeps me from taking notes or recordings and such. My camera does the report for me. As I find concerns I snap a picture. As I do the report if I am questioning myself I have the pictures up in the background and click to the appropriate pic. If all else fails you can go back and take a quick look.

When the clients get there I lay the report in front of them and start going over things. At the end of show and tell I tell them everything that I just discussed is highlighted in red in the report and give me a call if you have any further questions. I cannot tell you the last time I had a call about the report as far as them not understanding. They might ask a question about a general, no concern pic and that is about it.

Keep it simple and thorough. A combination check list and narrative is not the way I go. The check list throws them off and asked a lot of questions about nothing. I type the whole report. Full narrative.

Go figure with my grammar and spelling.

Ted thanks I defenitely like the idea of full narrative over check marks but haven't found any system( and I've got a ton of different ones I ordered to peruse) that is straight dialogue reporting. Either way I do think that would be awesome to have them show up at the end, but the general practice here (Southern Ontario-Canada) is for client and realtor showing up at the start and hanging around till we're done. The realtor has access to the house. Maybe there's some liability thing going on, I don't know. So this makes me wonder how you get access to the house? I wish we did the same here> Thanks again Brian

Ted Menelly Guest

Ted thanks I definitely like the idea of full narrative over check marks but haven't found any system( and I've got a ton of different ones I ordered to peruse) that is straight dialog reporting. Either way I do think that would be awesome to have them show up at the end, but the general practice here (Southern Ontario-Canada) is for client and Realtor showing up at the start and hanging around till we're done. The Realtor has access to the house. Maybe there's some liability thing going on, I don't know. So this makes me wonder how you get access to the house? I wish we did the same here> Thanks again Brian
    Yeah. The Realtors, thank goodness, think it is a liability to be there the whole time (convinced by their lawyers) and could be seen as undue influence on the inspector. As a matter of fact 99% of the time the seller is not there or the sellers agent for the fact of possible undue influence on the inspector.

Folks have a difficult time understanding that the more you interrupt an inspection the greater possibility of the inspector missing something.

We, well I would guess almost all, home inspectors here have a SUPRA Key and call the listing agent for the CBS code. This keeps the agent out of the works and makes it better for scheduling. If there is not a SUPRA lock box there will be a combination lock box.

I am amazed by the number of inspectors who will do their inspections, in an occupied home, with no one there. An agent who stays for the inspection can be your savior if a homeowner claims that something was taken or broken. The only way that I'll enter an occupied home is when an agent lets me in. If I get to the home before the agent, and the seller is leaving, I tell them to go ahead and lock up. I've had a few bad experiences with sellers that make me cautious.

Eric Barker, ACI
    Lake Barrington, IL

I have done my reports on site from the start (1989). I used to do NCR paper reports, then added photos with a photo printer, then went to computer based program. Still do the reports on site 90% of the time.

The SUPRA key thing did not work well for me - had way too much trouble gettng the CBS codes, so gave it up.

I prefer my client attend the entire inspection. If they can't, then they need to come at the end.

I have to say that I have had "maybe" a dozen times someone called and claimed I did something to their house. Ever. And i have done thousands of inspections, thousands.

I have NEVER had anyone claim I stole something.

Most of the time, it had to do with my probing rotten wood and they saw the damage. While I don't go crazy, sometimes the wood just crumbles when touched.

Over the years I have done my share of breaking things, and always leave a note, and offer to replace or repair the item.

I once had a seller call and complain about his a/c being left on 50 degrees for several days, but after talking to him at length, he understood that it was someone that had come in the house after I was there.

If I had a choice, I would prefer to work alone. But having the client attend the entire inspection, reduces the length of the phone calls questions after.

Even when I am going to finish the report back at the office, I get paid before I leave the house, AND before they get the report.