Tom Douma Guest

Smile Is there a difference between an FHA and HUD inspector?

Aloha,

I am an inspector in Hawaii and have been looking into doing HUD house inspections. My secretary has been calling HUD and FHA to check if there is any difference between a HUD inspector and FHA inspector and the process to qualify. Unfortunately, HUD staff either did not know, or gave conflicting answers.

The HUD inspector training requires a 5-day training workshop in Washington D.C. Does the FHA inspection require the same training? Are they the same?

Mahalo (Thank You)

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Is there a difference between an FHA and HUD inspector?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Douma View Post
    Aloha,

I am an inspector in Hawaii and have been looking into doing HUD house inspections. My secretary has been calling HUD and FHA to check if there is any difference between a HUD inspector and FHA inspector and the process to qualify. Unfortunately, HUD staff either did not know, or gave conflicting answers.

The HUD inspector training requires a 5-day training workshop in Washington D.C. Does the FHA inspection require the same training? Are they the same?

Mahalo (Thank You)
    FHA does not have an inspection program, FHA is part of HUD and the inspectors that are used for FHA/HUD inspections come from the HUD Inspector Roster. So, if you are on the HUD roster you can do an FHA inspection.

The training in DC is for the REAC inspection program. This is where you go out and inspect HUD properties mostly for safety and overall conditions. Inspections like this are usually subcontracted to inspector in the area by a company who won the bid from HUD.

He mai e ku`u

Last edited by Scott Patterson; 10-14-2008 at 07:44 AM.
    Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

J. Gonzalez Guest

hi Tom, I still have my information from REACS, about 325 to the site inspection items, I am pursuing this area for over a year, but so busy doing other work, haven't had a chance to test yet. If I remember correctly, you must have 500 inspections down and send your app. to the UPCS inspection certification training for inspectors. Like the other inspector mentioned, there is a 5 day intensive course in WA. DC, that is done about once a month, that is only phase 1, then you build up to phase 2. Go to USA.gov for an update.
    Good Luck Inspector!
    JohnnyRocket---->
    Straight Street Home/Building Inspections

Kevin Neyland Guest

FHA / HUD
    I went to Washington DC in August forwhat I was told by HUD information persons that would get me certified to do FHA inspections. What a waste of time and money. You will learn how to evaluate a multi family property that HUD has an interest in by a bunch of egotistical half rate inspectors that will talk down to you the whole week. The general idea of there inspections is to evaluate the condition of a multiple family proprety. Say you have a 250 unit 10 building property the most # of units you will look at is 27 and all the roofs common areas flat work and out building. You will work for a contractor who has bid on lots of buildings and the will try and court you to do the work for them at about $375 a day. Them they tell you you have to complete part II under an instructor to be completely certified. " I have collected more instructor ID badges then I have approved under my supervison" we were told by the class instructor. Save you time and money. To get certified as a FHA roster inspector you just have to prove you have done +250 inspections go to RHE HUD website and look for 203K inspectors. I am approved in North Carolina since October and have not gotten a single call.
    Kevin

J. Gonzalez Guest

Wow! Thanks Kevin that is good news to know, I almost was going to follow up with this in the near future, but I'll hold that off.
    Thanks

Nolan Kienitz Guest

There are differences.

I have my 203k certification as well as my FHA certification.

No REAC classes, etc.. I just filled out paperwork and got my certs. Mind you it was several years ago.

I've been doing both FHA final inspections on new home construction as well as 203k rehabs.

Neither are a big deal, but they fill in the calendar.

Kevin Neyland Guest

Nolan
    I HAVE BEEN ON THE FHA 203K ROSTER FOR ABOUT 5 WEEKS WITH NO CALLS YET. hOW DO YOU GET FHA INSPECTIONS ARE THE AGENTS MEARLY JUST PICKING YOU OFF THE LIST AND WHAT FORM DO YOU USE FOR FINAL INSPECTIONS.
    tHANKS
    kEVIN

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Neyland View Post
    Nolan
    I HAVE BEEN ON THE FHA 203K ROSTER FOR ABOUT 5 WEEKS WITH NO CALLS YET. hOW DO YOU GET FHA INSPECTIONS ARE THE AGENTS MEARLY JUST PICKING YOU OFF THE LIST AND WHAT FORM DO YOU USE FOR FINAL INSPECTIONS.
    tHANKS
    kEVIN
    Kevin,

Ha-ha! I knew you knew where the cap key was (as evidenced by the"h" in hOW, the "t" in tHANKS and the "k" kEVIN), the caps lock key is usually close by, would you mind tapping it once to take the caps lock off?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Kevin Neyland Guest

THANKS for ALL your HELP. ITS tough DOING two THINGS at ONE time.
    HA-ha...............

John Watson Guest

I've been a HUD inspector for several years now. I carry two cell phones, one for business and one for personal. When the business phone rings, there's excitement in the air. up until I realize it's a mortgage company ordering a HUD or FHA final inspection. They automatically assume you will do the job now and at their price. These inspections are rare, but they suck because they expect you to fill out their I-9 form before you get your $150 check in the mail several weeks later. It's an easy job though, if you don't mind chasing your pay.

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Neyland View Post
    hOW DO YOU GET FHA INSPECTIONS ... AND WHAT FORM DO YOU USE FOR FINAL INSPECTIONS. tHANKS kEVIN
    Never get calls from agents for FHA Finals. All work is through mortgage companies or builders.

Networking and usually the mortgage company goes to their access to the FHA site to do a lookup for the FHA certified inspectors/contacts in a specific area. Usually outlined by city name and/or zip code. You cannot adjust your listing for a "range" of zip codes.

I've attached the FHA document for the inspections. It is available at the FHA website ... albeit a bit laborious to navigate.

Attached Files Attached Files

Nolan Kienitz Guest

Just a reminder that the 203k certification (aka: HUD) is DIFFERENT than the FHA listing.

Two different lists for different work/applications.

An FHA listed person "cannot" sign the 203k paperwork. And vice-versa.

Ed Trecko Guest

Cool Re: Is there a difference between an FHA and HUD inspector?

How much should an FHA Fee inspector charge for a new construction of 55 units/condos. The builder needs an FHA inspection through the process. The initial, intermediate and final. I was wondering what is a good price to charge. I asked for $125 per unit and the builder flipped! Please help.

Kevin Neyland Guest

Wow Ed,
    That's some contract in this market!
    Need any help?
    It is very slow in NC these days. I can't help much with the pricing I recently just got on the FHA inspectors list to try and stimulate business.
    I have a friend in Indiana that also just got on the list and that's his min. charge per visit. You might want to negoiate with the builder so you don't loose that one depending on the number of trips involved because everyone of them will be ready at different times. You may also consider a minimum # of units per visit and then negoate a trip charge if they are all not neady. I was a project manager for a number of years before I started this business after a lay-off and your chances of having say all 10 ready for inspection are like hearding kittens and that puts the responsibility back in his hands to have them ready and not waste your time for say 3 or 4. Let me know how that goes. Windstream.net.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Trecko View Post
    55 units/condos.

The initial, intermediate and final

$125 per unit
    That's 3 trips to each unit, and, as Kevin said, there are not likely to be very many at the same time.

$125 / 3 = $41.67 per unit per trip.

I would tell the builder I would do it in three trips, at $xxxx per trip, presuming all units were ready for each inspection.

Then, as Kevin said, given the builder a 'trip charge' to return for each and any unit not ready. Puts the builder thinking he can get your inspection cheap (the three $xxxx charges), then when *HE* *IS NOT READY* ... *HE* has to pay for however many trip charges *HE* causes.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

I am qualified and listed for both FHA and 203(k) inspections. My fees has ranged from $75 for a quickie final when I'm doing multi-unit projects to $150 for a "one-off" condo. Both take the same amount of time, 15-30 min at most. I've done a bunch of these. Good filler work when it's slow.

The 203(k) fees are set by FHA and the process is done in stages.
    1. Feasibility study only = $100 (applicable to the total if they go forward)
    2. Job workup. $400 retainer paid up front. You put the package together.
    3. $75 per "phase" or draw request. (3-5 depending on size of project) You are the "gatekeeper" of the money for the subs that the HO hires. They must go through you to get paid and you must approve their work.
    4 Total fee is on a sliding scale and can go up to $1000 for a large project.

The only one I have gotten so far is a no starter and they did not pay me for the inspection. Of course, they got no report either! Small comfort for the 4 hours invested.
    Oh Well!

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

Snowbird (this means I'm retired and migrate between locations), FL/MI

Dana Bostick,

Thank you for your reply. When the economy rebounds/recovers and the market adjusts, and with continued tighter credit programs (with the swaps market and insured lending all but bankrupt - AIG for example), perhaps there will be a resurgance of 203 program and traditional FHA insured lending.

Although it may take a couple of years before the market corrects itself, I expect it may well be an opportunity for a developing/maintaining business 2-1/2+ years forward.

If those '95 rates are still holding, the time to start lobbying for change in those restricing rate schedules might be now.

Good luck in your endeavors,

H.G.

Last edited by H.G. Watson, Sr.; 03-09-2009 at 10:18 AM.

AD...
    That may be the case when working for the Feds. In these cases, you are not working for the Feds, they are just the backers of the loans via guarantees to the lenders. You actually work for the lender or the borrowers. They are the ones writing the checks. Not to say you still don't need to chase them now and then. We have all been there!
    Dana

True Professionals, Inc. Property Consultant
    877-466-8504

A.D. Miller Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dana Bostick View Post
    AD...
    That may be the case when working for the Feds. In these cases, you are not working for the Feds, they are just the backers of the loans via guarantees to the lenders. You actually work for the lender or the borrowers. They are the ones writing the checks. Not to say you still don't need to chase them now and then. We have all been there!
    Dana
    Dana: The way things are going, the lenders may soon be the Feds.