Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Joe the Plumber

Kevin Luce Guest

Default Re: Joe the Plumber

Crawl Space Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by fritzkelly View Post
    One of the major factors that caused the Great Depression was that Hoover raised the income tax on the "rich" from 20% to 55 %, basically the same thing Obama proposes.

Let me get this straight ...

Hoover took office in January, 1929, the depression began in 1929, and somehow "he caused it"?

None of his tax policies would have affected the wealthy until the following year at tax time ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Hoover

Great Depression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Great Depression originated in the United States; historians most often use as a starting date the stock market crash on October 29, 1929, known as Black Tuesday."

Stock market crash - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The most famous crash happened on October 29, 1929. "

"Forced to liquidate their stocks because of margin calls, overextended investors flooded the exchange with sell orders."

"overextended investors"

Ring any bells?

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Ring any bells?
    Yes the bells are ringing and apparently we have not learned from history and are doomed to repeat it.

When Hoover raised taxes it likely prolonged the very thing he was trying to repair.

When you tax the job creators and remove the incentive to put capital at risk by raising capital gains tax rates you get what you get and it isn't pretty.

We appear to be headed down the same road.

David Banks Guest

We heard the same doom and gloom from the right before Clinton was elected.
    I guess when your in the wrong and have nothing new you pull out the fear factor.
    2 Bushes 2 recessions.

Ted Menelly Guest

Not putting your comment out Dave but the recession was Ronnys doing. Bush just had to eat it. Ronny saved us from Carter but carter did't reaaly start that either. Ronny also won the cold war and put us into the trillions of deabt.

It is not one sides fault. It is both sides fault. Everyone keeps trying to keep the economy going and to do so they correct it temporarily but in the long run it hurts us in the near future.

Clinto did do a good job or should I say the dot com did a good job and linto just went along for the ride.

Bush got the brunt of the dot com fiasco and he and the rest of our wonderful goverment folks did everything they could (both sides) to keep us from going under then. The Dems took control with Bush still in office and did nothing to keep us from falling in this hole.

To put it on either side is about the most foolish thing I have heard. They are both equally involved.

As far as the talking with particular folks like anarchists. PLO lovers, crazy Pastors and just using the excuse that, "well it was just some guy, blah, blah, blah". Its a joke

I personally do not know why he picked all those associations. First one "he was just a guy......" Next one "he was just a guy...." Next one "he was just a guy......" Then blows it all off with "What we should be talking about is........"

Sorry Dave, Jerry, Jerry and who ever. Come on. I do not know what his agenda was but really, come on.

Let me see.

I was just hanging out with this crack head just to see what he might get out of smoking that stuff.

I was just hanging out with this mass murderer because I just wanted to see what turned him on about it.

I was just hangin out with this rapist because I just wanted to see why he got off on it.

Don't say it is any different. Different folks. Same damn thing.

Not throwing scare tactics and lies in here. Just absolute, pure and simple facts.

I might think McCain might and I say might be better than Obama but I do not have a closed mind to any view points.

I honestly think Obama has been on the fence way to long about what his true beliefs are. What kind of ideology he has. What he is really wanting to do.

I think his agenda has always to be president. By saying that. What the hell is up with him hanging out with folks like the ones above. YOU JUST DON'T DO THINGS LIKE THAT.

I have hung out with guys from all walks of life that more than likely did things that you more than likely don't want to know about. Well, maybe not hung out with but new by association. I was never looking to hold public office or wanted to be a lawyer or wanted to be a Senator or wanted to be President. If I was seeking any of those jobs I would have kept a whole lot further away even by association with those folks than I was.

Lets not just so blatantly just brush it under the rug.

You can have your view points, good or bad, but please, way wrong and something was truely wrong with all that. Sitting on a board that placed bombs that could have killed a serious amount of people.

YOU just don't hang out in the guys living room, sit in his college office , serve on boards with folks like that. Period. Hang out with guys that support the PLO. So what if he is a teacher at a college. The PLO blows up innocent people by strapping bombs on people. You don't sit in church praising the Lord when the guy up front is preaching stuff the Lord does not take part in. You can't say "well you know, I did'nt go to every Sunday meeting." You are going to hear that stuff from your fellow paritioners. Period. No excuses

Me personally, I just don't quite like or trust the guy or know what his agenda is for him to be president of the UNITED STATES.

Last edited by Ted Menelly; 10-31-2008 at 01:25 PM.

David Banks Guest

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by David Banks View Post

I think any news company/agency that puts a view point toward one candidate over the other is plane wrong.

They should report the news and what is going on with each candidate. I have never been for any news agency of any kind voicing there opinion like this. The only smart ones are the ones listed below.

CHOOSING TO MAKE NO ENDORSEMENT (21)

Abilene Reporter-News
    Colorado Springs Gazette (N)
    The Fairfax County Times (Virginia)
    The Florida Times-Union (Jacksonville)
    Fort Meyers News-Press
    The Huntsville Times
    The Marietta Register (Ohio)
    The Morning Call (Allentown)
    Mountain Home News (Idaho)
    Loudoun Times Mirror (Virginia)
    The Roanoke Times (Virginia)
    Springfield News-Leader
    The Record Searchlight (California)
    Rocky Mountain News (Colorado)
    St. Paul Pioneer Press
    The Virginian-Pilot (Norfolk)
    Waco Tribune Herald (Texas)
    Indianapolis Star (B)
    Ann Arbor News (B)
    Fredericksburg Free-Lance Star (B)
    Ventura County Star

That is what they should be doing. Reporting the news and only the news. Yes you can have individual view points at the paper or news channel but that should be balanced as far as equal reporting for each.

Just my opinion. Again, I am not for or against Rep or Dems. Just the individual that I think will do the best job. I also think that any news agency that puts anything out about any candidate that is only a snippet to fit that news agencies belief is wrong.

I also believe that any news agency who just out right lies about particular issues or again snippets to make something sound a certain way should not be allowed.

Americans want truth and only the truth. So many people are swayed by the bigger and louder a lie is on either side is what is believed.

I actually hate politics with a passion because you can just never know what is really the whole truth about any candidate.

If folks just watched CNN or Fox and believed just what they heard on what channel they was watching would be a pretty twisted way to live life. The Mass media is Democratically inclined until one party or the other will be hurting them and then they will spout info in the other direction.

Three major news teams were kicked off of Obamas plane because they led more toward McCain. Please. Give me a break. He only wants the news folk that follow his ways reporting news from his plane. Yup, that is real balanced. He just want glassed over eyes staring up at him and believing only what he is spewing out. What a serious joke and sham that is.

Just plane Ole just do not like him.

Don Sweet Guest

Right on Bibler...

Pray the Democracy prevails.

Don

Its typical of the news media. Always have leaned towards the Democratic side just like the Hollywood folks.

Fox had a report last night showing that most of the newspapers and other tv news showed favoritism towards Osama.

Most of the stories done on Obama were positive, yet stories on McCain were only shown in a negative manner.

Anything negative on Obama not discussed as much.

Go figure.

Here's a link for the story.

The Color of News | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)

Cable -- Three Different Networks, Three Different Perspectives | Project for Excellence in Journalism (PEJ)

rick

Last edited by Rick Hurst; 10-31-2008 at 03:06 PM.

Kevin Luce Guest

I would think the big news media would be for Republicans (if for any reason is to prevent paying more taxes). What did the Republicans do to piss them off so much? Had to be a lot of things or something big.

Obama just made his speech down the road from me tonight. I don't know how many were there but it was a lot (wife just told me 40,000). One lady was soo excited that she passed out about a minute after Obama started speaking. Obama was asking for a EMT for her.

In this area, it is clear that many people voting for McCain are mad at Obama and the people that are voting for Obama are excited because of Obama.

Zoom is nice on a camera.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Last edited by Kevin Luce; 10-31-2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: spelling errors and added the amount of people there

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Me personally, I just don't quite like or trust the guy or know what his agenda is for him to be president of the UNITED STATES.

I completely and totally agree ... you are talking about McCain, right?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hurst View Post
    Its typical of the news media. Always have leaned towards the Democratic side just like the Hollywood folks.

Fox had a report last night showing that most of the newspapers and other tv news showed favoritism towards Osama.
    By the way, your mind is so warped, you keep saying "Osama". With that being the case (remember, YOU STARTED IT with keeping on keeping on using that reference) ... McCain is a commie, did you know that? Yep, He hung around with them and kept their company for about 5 years. And that is a well know FACT, even he publicizes it. You want more, keep it up.

And FOX is a conservative nut house ... does that mean the conservative media is now backing Obama?

Dang, who woulda thought that?

Most of the stories done on Obama were positive, yet stories on McCain were only shown in a negative manner.

Anything negative on Obama not discussed as much.

Go figure.
    Ever consider there may be a reason for that?

McCain tells you NOTHING about what he is going to do, all he does is bad mouth Obama. Tell me ... what is so positive about that?

Obama, on the other hand, tells you what he is going to do. Likewise, tell me ... what is so negative about that?

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

"YOU just don't hang out in the guys living room, sit in his college office , serve on boards with folks like that. Period"

While I was reading through this thread, I got to this line from Ted, and I had a thought.

I served on the Board of Directors of ASHI for three years. There were three sets of Officers, and 15 Directors came and went. During those three years, I sat in the Board Room, and worked on committees with some people that I really didn't care for. There were some that I had no respect for, and disagreed with just about everything they stood for.

However, my time on the Board of Directors was not about how I felt about some of these guys, it was about ASHI. I put aside my personal feelings and went about the business of trying to make ASHI a better organization.

I didn't have to pal around with these guys after the meeting. I didn't have to even talk to them outside of the board room.

I can easily see how someone can serve on a BOD's or committee and not have a close relationship with another member.

Ted Menelly Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Feldmann View Post
    "YOU just don't hang out in the guys living room, sit in his college office , serve on boards with folks like that. Period"

While I was reading through this thread, I got to this line from Ted, and I had a thought.

I served on the Board of Directors of ASHI for three years. There were three sets of Officers, and 15 Directors came and went. During those three years, I sat in the Board Room, and worked on committees with some people that I really didn't care for. There were some that I had no respect for, and disagreed with just about everything they stood for.

However, my time on the Board of Directors was not about how I felt about some of these guys, it was about ASHI. I put aside my personal feelings and went about the business of trying to make ASHI a better organization.

I didn't have to pal around with these guys after the meeting. I didn't have to even talk to them outside of the board room.

I can easily see how someone can serve on a Board's or committee and not have a close relationship with another member.
    My other point, but not expressed was What are any of these extreme radicals in all three case doing in the position that they have.

A bomber

A racist anti American Pastor

A PLO supporter.

Don't you think that those points should be keeping those folks from these positions

Jack

All due respect but these are not light points. They cannot be brushed under the rug.

Lets take it to the extreme. Were any of the folks on the board you were on as whacked as any of these folks. If they were, were they teaching college students. Where they preaching in front of a bunch of parishioners about racist and Anti American beliefs. If they were sitting there listening to this just once, why did they not go to the churches elders and do something about it. Why are the colleges hiring these other folks.

Lets go to the extreme again. Lets say that one of these teaching extremists was a perv. Would you want this perv spouting off about his desires in life.

These teachers are teaching radical beliefs. All of them. I would like to interview any of the students and ask them if they know what all these folks are about. The positions they held in life. We are talking blowing people up. Innocent people. people that had nothing to do with even their government acts. Praising these folks for the acts they have done. One saying a several years ago that he had done more bombing. Her is teaching people. The preacher was one that was looked up to by the parishioners and as you may well know a lot of church folks take to heart every word that the pastor is preaching.

I understand where you are coming from Jack and respect your view but I just don't get why anyone would find any of these actions OK just as long as you are not going out to dinner with them, having discussions with them, in meetings with them. Especially one in Obamas agendas in life.

He not once has said that he thought the bomber was a a foolish piece of crap and his bomb placements could have killed a multitude of innocent Americans for some absolute asinine belief that he thought it was a good thing to do and wish he had done more.

How about the radical PLO lover. I never once heard him say that he said to the guy that he was a useless piece of radical crap for supporting an organization that does the kind of things that they do. Killing innocent children. These people and others like them go into neighborhoods and fire rockets on innocent people so when those people respond and fire back on those positions more innocent people get killed.

Again Jack I respect your views what ever they might be but if I new you were one of these folks I would not be sitting on a board with you. I would be doing everything I could to get you removed. I would never venture to your living room. If you were a teacher of youth and I new you were one of these folks and any were locally near me I would be doing everything I could to get you removed.

Why do you think that in some licensing professions that if you are a time served convicted felon they do not give you a license where you will be in a position to be alone in somes ones home. Sometimes in some case I feel differently about that rule due to what someone was convicted for. Everyone can (most folks) renewed in life and can see the error of there ways. But if they don't see the error of there ways and still spew the same crap out of there mouths, they are certainly not reformed and should not be in particular positions. These people are certainly not reform by any standards of human beliefs.

Oh well, enough of my spewing.

Sorry about that. Some things just are not right in life and these three folks fall into that category. They are the slugs in life that should have salt poured on them and be dissolved.

Just my opinion

Gotta do the smiley thing

Don Sweet Guest

Hey, I was wondering, who would ever vote for a Sheriff candidate that had long-time ties with organized crime figures, cocaine dealers (pushers) and pimps?

Go figure.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Sweet View Post
    Hey, I was wondering, who would ever vote for a Sheriff candidate that had long-time ties with organized crime figures, cocaine dealers (pushers) and pimps?

Sure would put that Sheriff in a good position to know who did what and where they were.

Then again, maybe you need to read up on "long-time ties" and understand the situation better.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have to plead ignorance on some of this. I really dont take the time to listen to all of the stuff floating out there.
    I don't know much at all about the preacher.

From what I understand (and this is a very limited amount I want to add) is that Ayers did all of this terrorist stuff many years ago. I keep hearing it happened when Obabma was 8 years old. For what ever reason, he appears to be living a normal life now days, and is a college professor - correct?

I obviously do not know all of the details or facts, and probably lots of other people don't either. I know that the McCain people are painting him as an active terrorist and trying to link Obama to the terrorist activities.

However on the other side, I do know these facts about Palin

While mayor in Wasilla she decided to build a $15M hockey arena for a town with a $20M budget. She OK'd a bond issue for the project before they had secured land for it. The city ended up paying 6 times the original market price and the city had to seize it under eminent domain. How did she end up apying for it? She increased the city sales tax 25%.

Here is another factoid. Alaska (under Gov Palin) ranks #1 infederal spending per resident ($13,950) even as it sits just 18th in federal taxes paid per resident ($5,434. That means that all of us non-Alaskan tax payers spend $8,500 per year on each and every resident of Alaska.

There has been a buzz lately about Palin taking her kids on trips at taxpayers expense. Did you know that she did not sell the Sate's private jet on E-bay, but instead sold it to a campaign contributor at a $600,000 loss? He is now seeking $50,000 in taxpayer money for maintenance.

Brige to nowhere? She was againsyt it she says, but took the govt money anyway, and didn't return it.

Her pastor is a whacko himself.

Never had a passport until 2007.

As Gov she has sought travel reimbursement for 312 nights she spent at home.

Wasilla had 42 meth busts in a year.

She served until 2005 as director of a fund raising group with Ted Stevens - indicted Sen.

She claims she began a $40B nat. gas pipeline to help lead America to energy independence, yet federal approval is YEARS away, no pipe has been laid and the State could end up paying the contractor $500M even if it never breaks ground on the project.

No one seems to talk about what a moral cripple McCain is. Sure he gets shot down in VietNam. Forget that any other pilot would have been grounded after crashing 3 planes. And I agree it was horrible for him to be a POW - no doubt.

But he comes home to the wife that stood by him and starts courting his new wife while still married. Seems the old wife, gained some weight and was no longer the trophy he left. Marries the super rich trophy wife druggie.

I guess the analogy of the ASHI BOD's was not a fair one, since the guys on the board were just jerks (IMHO) and not really all that bad if yiou come right down to it. I guess if they were prevs, drug dealers, or known criminals, then, yes, I would be moving to remove them, or quit myself.

Maybe this stuff I read about Palin is not ALL true. Maybe the stuff I read about McCain is not ALL true. Maybe all the stuff I heard about Obama is not ALL true. I really don't know, nor do I think that any of us REALLY do.

Here is what I do know - for a fact.
    I was much better off in the Clinton Years.
    The Bush administration has been the most disappointing I have ever witnessed.
    I never understood the whole war thing, or WMD, and why we were in Irag and not going after Bin Laden. It just never made much sense to me.
    Cheney and Haliburton scare the hell out of me.

While I may have voted for McCain during the last election, and maybe this one...I can not support his decision to have Palin as VP. If he would have picked someone else, he may have had my vote.

While he says he is a Maverick, I really feel that if he is elected, it will be 4 more years of Bush, and I just have a big problem with that.

I already voted for Obabma, this dialog makes no difference to me.

I really hope that no matter who is elected, they will change things and pull this country back into focus. My other BIG worry, is what Bush will do between November and January.

My Mother told me she voted for "that black guy". She is so PC it's not funny. I know she must have been swayed by my Sister's visit a few weeks ago. My sister is very conservative and I dont think has voted Democratic ever, said she was voting for Obama. I almost spit out my drink when she told me.

Oh well, back to the fray..........

Don Sweet Guest

A wise (intelligent) man once told me, "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it."

LMAO.

Don

Ted Menelly Guest

I have picked on both sides myself if you look back at the posts. I certainly won't try to defend McCain or Obama. I will be patriotic and defend any president that steps into the office.

If for no other reason. Being the leading nation of the world and looked upon for help from every nation in the world for one reason or another and having the strongest military and economy in the world, I feel sorry and also have great respect for any President of the united states.

Just 4 years as president will age one mentally 5 fold not to mention physically.

The only thing I will defend Palin on is the amount of federal spending. Most of it is automatic because of its shear mass a territory and so few folks live there. I guess if you think of what we bought it from the Russians for it is worth it.

As far as Pailin, Bush, McCain, Obama being singularly responsible for any spending in their state or the nation is ludicrous. There are a tremendous amount of people behind every decision even as a city or town Mayor.

Yes Jack, a lot of the things about Obama, McCain, Palin and Biden are true and a lot are either not true or seriously stretched.

I just hope that no matter which party gets elected they do not go from no regulation to government bound up complete regulation. Either direction to far is bad. Either party to far to the left or right is bad.

As far as the Clinton years versus the Bush years I was reasonably in good shape during both runs. I really did not see much of a difference at all. It was past do for a hard recession/correction. We breezed thru the end/beginning of Clinton Bush and should have been whacked really hard. The combined efforts of both the dems and Rep over the last 8 years kept us going pretty good but it just put off the natural correction that should have taken place.

And on that note.
    God bless the American people and the good Ole US of A

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234