Default Another Inspection Assoc. for Ontario

Press Release

The Professional Home & Property Inspectors of Ontario (PHPIO) (pronounced fippio) have opened their doors as of today, in order to provide the consumer with the best level of professional home inspectors in Ontario.

In these tough economic times, consumers need to know that their “hard earned” dollars are being “well spent” – especially when it involves an inspection of their home.

How do you know if the home inspector you’ve hired is a qualified professional?

The following along with the attached Media Release and Mission Statement will outline how PHPIO intends to ensure that Ontario consumers are best served when hiring a home inspector.

PHPIO Founding Committee

PHPIO’s founding committee consists of some of the most experienced and well respected home inspectors in Canada today. While PHPIO is a new organization, its founding committee members are from all across Ontario and bring with them many of years of association experience at both the national and provincial levels. This impressive list includes a Past President of The Canadian Association of Home and Property Inspectors (CAHPI), a former Past President of a provincial association, as well as several former provincial board members.

Many of the committee members have been honoured with CAHPI awards for service and commitment to the Home Inspection profession as well as contributions and dedication to the development of the National Certification Program. Others have been involved with the national initiative since its inception in 1996 and have worked for many years to ensure that all home inspectors across Canada work to the same standard in order to provide consumers with the best qualified inspectors available.
    These dedicated individuals are volunteering their efforts to ensure PHPIO’s success in Ontario and the success of the National Certification (NCH) Program across Canada, so that homebuyers can be assured that when hiring a home inspector they are dealing with the pros.

Board of Directors of PHPIO:

Paul Wilson, President, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Ottawa

Wayne Fulton, Vice-President, NCH, CHI, PHPIO Napanee

Garnett Hamilton, Secretary, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Manotick

Cam Allen, Treasurer, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Kingston

Brian Callaghan, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Ottawa

Bill DeVries, CHI, PHPIO Kingston

Claude Lawrenson, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Windsor

Bill Mullen, NCH, RHI, PHPIO Sarnia

Mike O’Grady. NCH, RHI, PHPIO Cobourg

George Webb, NCH, RHI, PHPIO London

Similar Threads:
    Crawl Space Creeper

Default Re: Another Inspection Assoc. for Ontario

No women inspectors in Ontario?
    What a Shame.................................

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

No they are in the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant!

Bill Gosch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry McCarthy View Post
    No women inspectors in Ontario?
    What a Shame.................................
    We actually do have two female inspectors in southern Ontario area, working out of the Windsor region, one has had to go back to Nursing, I was told she will do inspections on a part time basis, and the other is doing quite well and is with standing the depressed market in Windsor.
    Both have good school qualifications.

....and there are several more scattered throughout Ontario either in Nachi or OAHI, and several throughout the other provinces.

Some of you may not know, but the reason another association was created was the sad state of affairs within OAHI, conflicts of interest, special interests, intimidation, proxy abuse at AGMs and fiscal misfeasance and payments/spending not approved by the membership as per the bylaws. OAHI is going to put its membership due up 53% for January and is running a deficit, all due to mismanagment, and delcining membership numbers. Likely many will not renew given the large unprecendeted fee increase for very little in return in way of membership benefits and no guarantee of due process.

Noreen Loos Guest

Hello
    I am a female Home Inspector in the Upper Ottawa Valley. I survive mostly from Military IRP inspections on a part-time basis, (quite happy with this)since the area is largely unpopulated. However, recently there have been a large number of people who have hung out shingles that don't know a damn thing about home inspection. I am a Nachi member - have been for years and keep enlarging my knowledge constantly & I get irritated when people & their dogs can just claim to be Home Inspectors. As far as any Canadian Assoc. - they are going to have to prove their worth before I would consider joining. NACHI - SO-FAR HAS PROVEN THE BEST - in training, information, guidance, whatever. I don't think any Canadian Assoc. can deliver that much for so little.

Noreen,

Are those hanging out their shingles Nachi members?

Personally speaking I do not rely on any association to do anything for me. They have all been a disappointment.

I believe licencing in Ontario is badly needed. Too many special interests and conflicts of interest at the association level in Ontario.

Noreen Loos Guest

Talking Re: Another Inspection Assoc. for Ontario

No, they are not Nachi members. And I heartily agree that Ontario/Canada needs some kind of licensing but so far everything has been a real disappointment. Nachi - so far has given me more info than any other assoc. & they also at least make you take an exam to prove you know something before hanging out a shingle.

Quote Originally Posted by Noreen Loos View Post
    & they also at least make you take an exam to prove you know something before hanging out a shingle.

No they don't.

I'm not for any national association, but NACHI offers the weakest and flimsiest excuse for a test, so don't promote that as being something which indicates knowledge.

In fact, 'you' did not have to take it, 'you' could have had some else take it and 'you' could have attested to the fact that 'you took it'. It is not proctored, no one knows, or really even cares, who took the test.

The NACHI test is meaningless, so I would set that aside and hide it as though you never said it.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

EC Jerry, are you referring to the NATCHI Stethoscope exam, hmmmm? Right - a certifiable heart beat and your check clears and you're in. If that’s better than the Ontario group HI exam/association - God help them!

Jerry McCarthy

... and free membership vs. those that had to pay.

....and the CMI; some paid, some got theirs for free with no questions asked!

EC Jerry, are you referring to the NATCHI Stethoscope exam, hmmmm? Right - a certifiable heart beat
    WC Jerry,

Nah, they don't even care if there is a certifiable heart beat, just want the check to clear.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

EC Jerry, are you referring to the NATCHI Stethoscope exam, hmmmm? Right - a certifiable heart beat and your check clears and you're in
    Just The Check (money order, travelers checks, credit cards, Green Stamps, Gift Certificates, US Postage Stamps or other Negotiable Instruments) Will Suffice.

It Might have Choked Artie But it ain't gone'a choke Stymie! Our Gang " The Pooch " (1932)
    Billy J. Stephens HI Service Memphis TN.

I am sure Michael Larson will be right along to set the record straight!

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Wand View Post
    I am sure Michael Larson will be right along to set the record straight!
    You mean about your not being able to hack it in NACHI.

No the fact that newbies and wanna be's like your self tend to gyrate towards Nachi. Like a moth does to a light.

Michael Larson Guest

No the fact that newbies and wanna be's like your self tend to gyrate towards Nachi. Like a moth does to a light.
    I live in a licensed state and had no problem with the NHIE.

I'm not at your former haunt for the certification.

since you brought it up, tell the good folks why your not welcome there anymore.

Michael

I don't think the astute members here need hear once more how corrupt the ESOP is and how it stacks it ranks with liars and reprobates. Nor do they need to hear tell once again your ignorance on how credible self regulating bodies should operate.

Don't be ignorant, its not becoming.

Michael Larson Guest

Don't be ignorant, its not becoming.
    The Ethics committee pegged you without any problems.

Goodnight Ray and sweet dreams. Say Hi to Roy for me.

Michael

I love it when you can't provide a befitting retort. I guess when you don't hold court here and none of your friends are competent nor worthy to come to your aid, you slither away.

You too have a good night, maybe you will regain your strength during your badly needed beauty sleep.

Try and keep your hands above the sheets!

Michael Larson Guest

It's usually best not to wrestle with the swine in the muck.

Michael
    How do you call a Nachi member to the trough? Zoweeee, Zoweeee. Zoweee.....

Ted Menelly Guest

I am a member of NACHI. Why? Not really sure.

I have taken countless home inspectors exams. NACHI, NHIE, TREC etc. I really did not see much if any difference in any of them. Well NHIE might have been slightly tougher, maybe. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Proctored, not proctored, either way I still took the test. I am sure 99.9% of all folks that took any of those test took them all by there onesies. Yup, NACHI is not proctored. So what, that has no relevance. You still take the test. The rest of the points of NACHI or any organization are all pretty much true for all I hear from everyone.

The basics of life folks is most folks are pretty darn honest. HI's, Litigation folks, Municipal building officials. There are dishonest folks in every type of work there ever was. National Associations have a pretty darn tough act to be able to keep track of all the folks under them. Local associations I cannot say much about. I have been to some. Not much goes on with the exception of business points and different topics about particular subjects (sometimes). To many people in all of them to get a lot of meaningful individual education. Most of it does not amount to much. Keeps folks in touch I guess.

One thing I will say about NACHI is they do have roofing, electrical home inspectors exams etc that you can take when ever you want to and the questions do change. I guess it is all in what you want to put into things.

Oh well, that's my little bit.

Oh yeah. I am not endorsing any of them. Just adding some thoughts.

Interesting observation Ted. Fwiw, I took the ASHI exams many years ago and as far as I am concerned the Nachi exam was a piece of cake compared to ASHI proctored exams.

As for value of membership I don't see much value to any association and I don't rely on them to foster my business.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Larson View Post
    It's usually best not to wrestle with the swine in the muck.
    Michael,

That is a correct statement, so why did you volunteer to wrestle with Raymond in the muck?

You were here for a while with your acidic comments, let for a while, then came back here, are you no longer welcome there either? Or do you like wrestling in the muck with Raymond, you always seem to start it between you two, and, as YOU said "It's usually best not to wrestle with the swine in the muck.", being as Raymond is not "swine" I can only presume you are referring to yourself that way?

Your words, not mine.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Michael Larson Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    Michael,

That is a correct statement, so why did you volunteer to wrestle with Raymond in the muck?
    Well Jerry,

Raymond decided to call me out by name so I felt obligated to respond.

Usually I just ignore his rants and encourage others to do the same.

You may consider some of my comments "acidic" but how many of your own do you consider snarky?

You may consider some of my comments "acidic" but how many of your own do you consider snarky?

You: 90%-95% maybe.

Me: 5%-10% maybe.

See the difference?

It seems that almost all of what you do are "snarky" "acidic" comments.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Interesting observation Ted. Fwiw, I took the ASHI exams many years ago and as far as I am concerned the Nachi exam was a piece of cake compared to ASHI proctored exams.

As for value of membership I don't see much value to any association and I don't rely on them to foster my business.

Cheers,
    The national home inspectors exam is still the required ASHI test if I am not mistaken? That test was a little stronger when I took it as well. I guess it depends on the questions at the time you take the particular tests.

Kevin Luce Guest

When some of the states were looking at becoming licensed and ASHI was pushing the state(s) to require home inspectors to join ASHI before becoming a state licensed home inspector, the states looked at ASHI and other associations and couldn't tell the difference to justify ASHI's request. One thing they looked at specifically was the amount of lawsuits against ASHI members compared to home inspectors from other associates and they seen no difference.

That tells me a lot.

ASHI does some things better than NACHI but NACHI does some thing better than ASHI. Neither makes or breaks a home inspection business.

Michael Larson Guest

You: 90%-95% maybe.

Me: 5%-10% maybe.

See the difference?

It seems that almost all of what you do are "snarky" "acidic" comments.
    Is that a scientific poll Jerry?

I know one should only bow before the king of the hill but I prefer to have my own opinions.

I hope you don't mind.

Is that a scientific poll Jerry?

I know one should only bow before the king of the hill but I prefer to have my own opinions.

I hope you don't mind.
    Not being "king of the hill", I don't mind at all.

You are allowed to have your own opinions.

As we all are.

And we should express our opinions.

While keeping an open mind regarding the opinions of others.

And not taunt others, then complain/attack them when they respond.

By all means, come here and express your opinions.

I look forward to them.

Just looking forward to your good common sense.

By the way ... ... that is 3 more for you out of 3 - or 100%, and this 1 more for me out of 10 - or 10%.

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Ted Menelly Guest

Well Jerry,

Raymond decided to call me out by name so I felt obligated to respond.

Usually I just ignore his rants and encourage others to do the same.

No comments on all the post. Just the Snarky thing. New one on me. I thought I heard them all.

Definition of "snarky"

Urban Dictionary: snarky

William DeVries Guest

No they don't.

I'm not for any national association, but NACHI offers the weakest and flimsiest excuse for a test, so don't promote that as being something which indicates knowledge.

In fact, 'you' did not have to take it, 'you' could have had some else take it and 'you' could have attested to the fact that 'you took it'. It is not proctored, no one knows, or really even cares, who took the test.

The NACHI test is meaningless, so I would set that aside and hide it as though you never said it.
    Jerry In Canada there is no legislation nor licensing of any sort, at least taking a test is better then nothing.
    And yes you can say is it me or memorex, but that also cuts a fine line on integrity and morales, if you are a good person, with values and morales then I am quite sure you took the test yourself, if not it's only gonna take a few inspections to weed you out as a phony.

Quote Originally Posted by William DeVries View Post
    I am quite sure you took the test yourself, if not it's only gonna take a few inspections to weed you out as a phony.
    William,

If you are referring to the InterNACHI test, no, I have not taken it. I started to, looked as some of the questions, and, when I got up off the floor laughing, I said to myself (no one else was present) "What is this? It is meaningless." (actually, my wording was not what I can type on a public board, I have sanitized it for here), so, no, I did not take it.

I guess I have been "weeded out as a phony", retiring after 17 years of home inspections. Jeez, and I did not know I had been "weeded out" - gosh, I am ... well ... so shocked at being "weeded out" that I just do not know what to say ...

Jerry Peck
    www.AskCodeMan.com

William DeVries Guest

My comment was more in line with whom is taking the test is really the one sitting there.
    I didn't imply yourself had taken the test but after re reading my post I can see how you took it that way, So I apologize if I offended you It was more inline with the morals of being a honest person, and if a person who lied about taking any test would sooner or later be weeded out as phony,
    Billy

I'm fairly familiar with a number of home inspector entry level exams and IMHO the toughest is CREIA's (California Real Estate Inspection Association) followed closely by the NHIE exam. However, passing an exam does not prove anyone will make a competent home inspector. We all have horror stories regarding real estate agents/brokers, CPAs, engineers, doctors, dentists, and of course attorneys.
    Some of us actually work with a variety of attorneys and all I can say its an eye-opening experience from the get-go!

Jerry McCarthy