Chris Kanyuck Guest

Default What is this called

There is a picture on the left bottom of this page where the top of the chimney has fallen in. I have seen this several times but I do not know what the proper name is for this part of a chimney. Can someone tell me what this part of a chimney is called?

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: What is this called

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kanyuck View Post
    There is a picture on the left bottom of this page where the top of the chimney has fallen in. I have seen this several times but I do not know what the proper name is for this part of a chimney. Can someone tell me what this part of a chimney is called?
    Chimney cap

or chimney crown.

Have always known it to be called a 'mortar crown'

Steve Lottatore
    Bilt-Rite Property Inspections & Consutling, LLC

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images

I would hesitate to call it a mortar crown, since mortar is not really supposed to be used for that purpose. Concrete with steel re- enforcement is one proper way...........

My vote is for chimney crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kanyuck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Chimney cap
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    or chimney crown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lottatore View Post
    Have always known it to be called a 'mortar crown'
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Whitmore View Post
    I would hesitate to call it a mortar crown, since mortar is not really supposed to be used for that purpose.
    "since mortar is not really supposed to be use" - but looks like it was used.

In the case in the photo, then, is it a "mortar crown", supposed to be or not?

I know, the question was for the correct term, and the correct term for a correct item (the photo shows an incorrect item) would be:

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Menelly View Post
    Chimney cap
    Quote Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
    or chimney crown.
    What does Bob H. call it?

In looking at the IRC, even it calls it ... sort of calls it ... Mortar Cap.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

I have only seen a couple of concrete crowns/caps that where installed overhanging the brick with a kerf. Just about all of them have a mortar crown and stop at the edge of the brick. Masons use the same mix as with laying the bricks.

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Like others, I call it a "crown" or a "chimney crown" and have heard it called a "crown wash". I got a good diagram from somewhere. Might be that someone from this site posted it or I could have downloaded it from the Brick Institute. I can't remember. If I got it from this site, I'm sure that I will be reminded.

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Department of Redundancy Department
    Supreme Emperor of Hyperbole
    http://www.FullCircleInspect.com/

Here is another!

Mike Schulz License 393
    Affordable Home Inspections
    www.houseinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

It is a chimney cap that is crowned. It seals or caps the entire chimney of that sheds water over the edges of the chimney because it is crowned. Just so you know I call it both but essentially crowned or not it caps the chimney that is why I call it a cap most of the time.

For some reason I was told it was called a wash cap, so that's what I've been calling it. Regional differences, I suppose.

Jim Robinson
    New Mexico, USA