Jody Humbert Guest

Question Splits in support posts

I need some opinions on whether these splits are a concern as far as being excessive. What is the allowable width for splits? Thanks for your input.

Jody

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: Splits in support posts

Pic 1- common, but towards the bad end
    Pic 2 and 3- I would be rec. replacement; I have seen some people fill the gaps with construction adhesive, drill bolt holes and suck the post together a bit and stabilize. It seems to work, it's not what I would rec.
    My guess is it's treated lumber and the splitting will get worse. Some split really bad, some seen not to.
    My concerns from the photos:
    - how are the posts attached at grade; bolts, concrete footers or pad, steel footers,
    - it looks to be at the bottom of a hill; the severe splitting may be because the feet are soaking up water
    - no crossbracing

www.aic-chicago.com
    773/844-4AIC
    "The Code is not a ceiling to reach but a floor to work up from"

Jody Humbert Guest

Thanks for the comments, Markus. The posts appear to be attached in concrete. I used a probe and it hits solid inground.

IMHO any split in a wood support post or support beam you can stick your fingers into is a reportable defect.

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant

Ted Menelly Guest

From what I see above the post those seven posts supporting it look like overkill but obviousl I cannot see the beem under. The cracks being wide open and water getting in continually does not help matters.

Just from the quick visual with no other info I would guwstinate years to come for life expectancy but all those cracks should be caulked/sealed to avoid rot and monitor them as time goes on. All will certainly not fail at the same time.

Just an opinion.

Ron Bibler Guest

Checking like that exposes the interior of the board to moisture and pest infestation. they should be caulk and painted.

Its just a part of the young tree and cut from the wrong section for the type of board.

Check this split job out. i have never come accross this before.

Best

Ron

You want to talk about splits? Take a look at this concrete cassion subjected to severe sulfates and supporting a major steel I beam no less !!!

***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Jerry McCarthy

Ted Menelly Guest

Great pics Ron and Jerry. You folks must have your pics set up a ot better than I do. Every time someone posts a pic I know I have one similar but I'll be darned if I can find them in a reasonable amount of time.

Those splits are not a problem and are very common. It is called checking and and is a result of the green wood drying from the outside to the inside. Differential drying creates the checking. The checking can be reduced or eliminated by slow uniform drying.

http://www.wvu.edu/~exten/infores/pu...er/wooddr2.pdf

Jerry, That looks like they poured a pier around a steel lally. Not smart. Steel rusts and swells and that's what happens.
    That's one I haven't seen yet, but will be looking for the top of a lally sticking out of a poured post in the future.

Wayne, where I come from they haven’t used the term “Lally” for a long time. Furthermore, I believe a Lally is a vertically installed hollow steel column filled with concrete to help support horizontal loads. However, I could be wrong? The photos I posted are concrete caissons with steel rebar reinforcement usually installed by the use of sona tubes

Ted, All my defect photos are segregated into files that are named for the type of system where the defect exists, i.e.; HVAC, Electric, foundation, floor support system, roof framing, etc. I’m always adding to my collection between what my ex-students send me, this and the CREIA bulletin board, and photos sent by friends plus of course stuff I’ve taken over the years. Also, in performing construction defect work one cannot help but see lots of strange installations and weird defects, especially by our world famous Uncle Buck..

Jerry McCarthy

Gee Jerry, Am I that old? Guess I am The photo just looked like that to me but I guess the rebar just expanded with the rust to look larger.