Thread: soft roofs

Default soft roofs

In done about 25 inspections in my first year of business. I know that isnt much but it was enough to feel a few soft roofs.

I was just wondering. Have any of you ever put your foot through a roof while walking on it? I can imagine it must happen every now and then in the HI world.

Similar Threads:
    OREP Insurance

Default Re: soft roofs

Quote Originally Posted by John Dirks Jr View Post
    In done about 25 inspections in my first year of business. I know that isnt much but it was enough to feel a few soft roofs.

I was just wondering. Have any of you ever put your foot through a roof while walking on it?

Not while inspecting, but many years ago (1970s or 1980s) while contracting I did.

And I KNEW it was soft. I was going to be replacing the roof, giving the estimate, and my client wanted to go up on the roof (his own house) and see it, so I said sure.

I walked over to where it was, walked around it to the other side of the soft area and ... that other side was also soft ... ended up straddling the fascia one leg over and one leg through the roof and soffit. OUCH! BUT, straddling the fascia did keep me from falling to the ground down below.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jeffrey L. Mathis Guest

You bet. A vaulted ceiling with no attic access. No injury, but a heart beat accellerator for sure. In case you forget: Never walk a roof until you've done the attic.

JLMathis

Ted Menelly Guest

Slid off a couple of scary roofs height wise. I landed in some bushes on one and a sand pile with the other. When you are sliding down a 2 story roof, especially when it comes to going over the edge, lets say, your man hood does not matter at that point.

Had my ladder slip off a metal gutter after mounting a 2 story roof. House vacant and agent had not yet appeared. (I always arrived early for inspections) After waiting for the agent who was obviously running late I finally lost patience and leaped into a tall tree adjacent to the home. I scratched the living S out of my arms, face and legs sliding down the branches, but was otherwise unhurt except for some minor damage to the family jewels. As I was scuttling off to my truck to make some repairs to my torn and sore body the agent showed up and ignoring my appearance promptly asked, "What’s the exterior look like Jerry?" I angrily replied, "If I told you I'd have to kill you!"
    It was not a memorable moment in inspector - agent relationships. After settling down and apologizing she appeared mildly concerned, but much more interested in my finishing my inspection because she was so…. ……Busy!

Jerry McCarthy
    Building Code/ Construction Consultant