Thread: Downspout drain

Default Downspout drain

What do you guys think of this application. This is on a 3 mill$ house. Looks like a FIAT "feeble attempt at tinwork" to me.

Similar Threads:
    ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images ***IMPORTANT*** You Need To Register To View Images
    Inspection Referral

Default Re: Downspout drain

Quote Originally Posted by wayne soper View Post
    What do you guys think of this application. This is on a 3 mill$ house. Looks like a FIAT "feeble attempt at tinwork" to me.
    What do I think of it?

NOT MUCH.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Bob Stark Guest

Hey guys, I'm still a little new at this.... would that be called out as a defect? Or rather, should there be a recommendation that a pro-gutter man come out and do this "right"?

Just trying to learn here. Ok, ok, enough laughter at the new guy's expense !! Will somebody answer my question.... please?!!

It's all in the education !!

That's why I posed the question. I think it's crap but wanted more opinions.
    I'll bet if it had a few wires sticking out of it I would have gotten more than a "Not Much" from Jerry. HAHA

Bob Stark Guest

So..... how did you handle that item in your report? Defect? Recommend to fix and/or repair??

Bob

Smile Re: Downspout drain

Wayne,
    I wonder who liked it best, the birds or the bees?

Did you get a picture from farther back. I just want to see what they wanted to accomplish. Ugly and unconventional sometimes serves a real purpose.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Haven't made up my mind yet. Cheap gutters all around. This is the scupper drain off the front stoop overhang roof. My guess is that in a good rain the connection will be too small and water will pour all over dumping on the front stoop, creating ice patches, and causing falls to brokers delivering presents, and doughnuts at christmas.

Richard Rushing Guest

Just saw this thread. I'd bet that sucker leaks at the tie-in point.

I'd like to see a pulled-back picture of the wall flashing.

Dang, I thought my "Not much" was self explanatory???

Is that copper drip edge? Looks like it.

I'll bet that 'is not' a copper downspout, I'm betting it's aluminum, and we all know that copper and aluminum are not compatible materials.

Not only is that down spout elbow wrong, it's not installed into the down spout in a manner which will have a chance to 'not leak'.

And, it's inlet is too small to collect much water, most of the water probably overflows the collection inlet, what does not likely leaks out the joint.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Jerry, yes the "Not Much " was enough and all of the deficiencied were included in the report. Just a good excersize in common sense reporting.

Tim Moreira Guest

That's FUGLY!!!

Bob,
    There are stupid questions, but yours isn't one of them.

Wayne,
    Based on the extreme areas of wood rot and generally deteriorated condition of everything within the field of view of your picture, I'd say whoever thought of this undeniably FUGLY albatross was a complete moron. So are there other pictures? I'd like to see more before I have him killed.

My points are:
    1. Is it unconventional? Absolutely.
    2. Does it LOOK like it will leak? Like a sieve, but I wasn't there and it doesn't look like it was raining when you were.
    3. Is it a defect? I would mark it as a defect, BUT in the report, I would discuss what I had observed about the conditions of areas in the immediate influence of the creation. I would discuss why I considered it as a defect and what the possible (or probable) outcome of not correcting it might be.
    4. It is unlikely that anyone would have come up with this idea without perceived need. It seems to me that at least one probable cause was that no kick out flashing is present, so water was dumping on whatever is directly below. Another possible cause was that gutter was omitted from that run that we can see in this picture. But was there an obsticle that we can't see out of view that prevents installing the missing gutter?. I don't know. I can't see outside this picture.
    I consider myself a Home Inspector. Despite what my SOP may say, I approach the job as having the responsibility to tell my Clients as much as I can about their chosen homes, not just what is wrong with them. The house is a system. As I know you are aware, what action you take in one direction often affects the condition of another.

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.
    - Paul Fix

Hey, it's a cleanout!