david presley Guest

Default Fell during inspection off telestep collapsed

I bought a telesteps 12.5 used it three times. I have been using a different type of telescoping ladder for years. no problem. I used this item three times and as i was stepping on roof it collapsed on me. I fell 11 ft. I read up on it and consumer reports has it not acceptable. I like to know if anybody else has had this problem.

Similar Threads:
    Inspection Referral

Ted Menelly Guest

Default Re: Fell during inspection off telestep collapsed

Quote Originally Posted by david presley View Post
    I bought a Teletypes 12.5 used it three times. I have been using a different type of telescoping ladder for years. no problem. I used this item three times and as i was stepping on roof it collapsed on me. I fell 11 ft. I read up on it and consumer reports has it not acceptable. I like to know if anybody else has had this problem.

Xtend and climb. I have never had a problem with it or the one before it. The only reason I got a new one was someone stole my other one.

david presley Guest

I had never had a problem either used 3 different ladders. this is the first telesteps that i ever bought. I broke 7 bones on the fall.

Ron Bibler Guest

Ouch. I do understand what you are going though. i went down 25 Feet on time. broke my left wrist and shatered my right ankle. had a good doc. put me back together but now 34 years later this ankle is a drag. herts all the time. its going to rain. L.O.L. Dang it.

Best

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by david presley View Post
    I bought a telesteps 12.5 ... I fell 11 ft.

How can you fall 11 feet from a 12.5 foot ladder which is supposed to be sticking up beyond the roof 3 feet?

Hope you heal well, but ... HOW?

I think one must first learn proper ladder safety. My guess is that if you read in the manual, you will find where it recommends 3 feet above the roof, that is standard OSHA practice.

I bought a Telesteps, hated it, did not trust it for inspection work, it went into our motor home, where it is never needed or used.

I cannot see why inspectors will risk their personal safety on those telescoping ladders, not when Little Giants and their knock-offs are so much stronger.

Don't want to leave this on a negative note, so I will repeat: Hope you heal well, and get well soon.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

david presley Guest

Smile Re: Fell during inspection off telestep collapsed

I am not sure on the height approx 11 ft. I was not there long went to the hospital quick. I am working again. I was down about 6 weeks. Back still hurts I have metal plate in my arm. from that ladder. The odd part of the indecent was that I was doing the inspection and the client was standing right beside me. and he was attorney that did defected equipment for a living. what or the odds of that. Being first time i fell and i have done many inspections I believe that was the first client i did that was that type of attorney, He cannot represent me but a good witness. I would like for that company to pay my medical bills which where high. we will see. I am not waiting on nothing or expecting nothing. But it was that ladders fault, I know that

David Presley
    Advanced Inspections Consulting

Ron Bibler Guest

The first time i saw one of them things. it was extended into an attic by another inspector. i look at it put one foot on it and the thing flex some. so i step back he came out and i put up my fiberglass ladder.

Best

Ron

P.S. You should go after that attorney he should have stop youe fall or done something not just stand there.

david presley Guest

it was not his fault. It happen so fast he did what he could called the ambulance.

I'm surprised the attorney didn't jump in to break your fall and then claim you fell on him. He'd being suing you, the homeowners, the realtors, the ladder manufacture........

First, David I'm glad you are on the mend and that you are still with us. Second, I would not post any more about this on the Internet if you are planning any action against the manufacturer.

As a litigation consultant I use the Internet all of the time to findout things that folks never even think about.

I hope that you do not have any long term problems from your fall. Now go and buy a Little Giant 17' ladder!

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

david presley Guest

Thanks for the info. I have not decided on litigation. It happen in April. I will leave it alone. You are right it is the smart thing to do. I truly just wanted my fellow inspectors to know about this. To be aware I have never pursued either a company or a person for my personnel reasons in my business This just caused me hardship and I wanted other inspectors to be careful when using this product.

David Presley
    Advanced Inspections Consulting Tyler & Longview Texas Real Estate

I'm so sorry to hear of your injuries. I know how those damn things can look like they are all locked in, but NOT!

I've had my telestep for over 4 years now. When I started using it, a few times I would whip it up and start climbing, and find a "soft" step that "I" didn't engage fully. I now always, always, always take a step back and look at all the red tabs to make sure they are out and locked.

I really like the light weight, and the fact it fits in my SUV. I have a bad back and would be out of business if I had to lug a guerrilla ladder around all day.

However, my HVAC friend, (who talked me into buying a telestep) had a ride-along inspector who didn't fully lock in the very top of the ladder. When my friend started to come off of the roof, he grabbed the top, and it collapsed. Luckily he caught his balance before he fell.

If/when mine wears out, I'll buy another telestep right away.

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Peck View Post
    I cannot see why inspectors will risk their personal safety on those telescoping ladders, not when Little Giants and their knock-offs are so much stronger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Patterson View Post
    I hope that you do not have any long term problems from your fall. Now go and buy a Little Giant 17' ladder!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post
    If/when mine wears out, I'll buy another telestep right away.

Against all good and sane reason ... Dave will go out and buy another one. Just do not understand some people.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com

Seems like there is plenty of room for error here. Me for trusting my Telestep, and others for recommending a Little Giant/Cosco type.

From consumer reports....

Within types, in alphabetical order.Brand & model Safety risks we encountered in our use tests
    NOT ACCEPTABLE Multiuse ladders that extend beyond 17 feet.

Cosco20221-TIA
    These were extremely difficult for one person to safely set up and fully extend in our single-person use tests; loss of control may cause them to fall onto people or property. Fingers can be crushed between upper and lower sections while attempting to extend or collapse ladder.
    Little GiantM 22 Types I and IA aluminum; M 22 Type IA fiberglass; M 26 Type IA aluminum

NOT ACCEPTABLE Telescoping extension ladders that extend to 12 1/2 feet.

Telesteps1205 Types IA, I, and II ; 1600 Types IA and I
    Crushing hazard to hands and fingers. It's all too easy to allow all sections to collapse rapidly and for rungs to become nearly flush when locking pins are pulled, as users might do.
    Xtend & Climb770
    Ladder could easily slide out from under user on smooth surfaces. No positive locking indication
    -------------------------------------------
    Sane to me is using a 24 pound ladder that I have learned to use and trust, as opposed to a 39 pounder that would kill my back. After a car wreck 11 years ago, I have daily/chronic back pain, I just can't lift the heavy ladders. We have to do what works well for us. Ladders are considered dangerous tools, many die each year. Be careful out there!

David, I wish you well to a full recovery.

Good night guys.

Dave Hill
    Buyers & Sellers Property Inspections LLC
    WWW.BuyersSellersPi.Com

The LG-17 weighs in right at 34lbs. Yes, it will pinch the crap out of your fingers, but so will car door if you are not paying attention!

One thing I started to do several years back is to put my leather gloves on when I'm working with the ladder and on the roof.

Just be careful no matter what you do or use.

Scott Patterson, ACI
    Spring Hill, TN
    www.traceinspections.com

Ted Menelly Guest

In another thread Kent Keith said this, with a link.

"You might want to consider one of these Ladder - Max stabilizers. I've had mine for about a year and would not do without it. Should work on the LG.
    Ladder Stabilizer Roof Placement "

He says it also works on the telescoping ladders.