Thread: I need IR help

Herb Scott Guest

Default I need IR help

I need IR help. I’ve been inspecting for 15 years. About 10 months ago I took the plunge and purchased a Fluke TIR1. I took the 3 day course that came with it and I recently got Level I certification from Infraspection Institute. I’m not posting to discuss the pros / cons of IR. I’m trying not to waste time re-inventing the wheel. Does anyone have info on any forums like this one but for IR? What report forms are you IR inspectors using. Any advice / direction would be appreciated. I want to get this stud finder off my desk, out in the field and making me money. Not just as an additional service to my home inspections, but also as a stand alone service. Primarily building envelope , roof inspections, and energy evaluations.
    Thanks Herb Scott

OREP Insurance

Brent Simmerman Guest

Default Re: I need IR help

Herb how did you like the training you recieved from Infraspection Institute, been looking into IR myself. Thanks

Raymond Olsen Guest

Great god! You should be excited. Back when they invented Xrays, it was the medical profession that found a use for it. That's right- Xrays were not invented for medical use or by doctors. It was scientists who invented it. And now, there is not a person alive who has not been saved from pain or disablement by an Xray!
    First of all, you need to be a building scientist (which you are) then a salesman of IR. This is a requirement. If you can't sell, learn to sell or sell your IR camera. We have a group of IR guys from the window and door industry that are beginning to take this science over. Some of us are venturing into fields where IR is needed and paying, we never thought of a year ago.
    Call me if you have questions. I am an IR cheerleader!
    Ray
    azenergydetective.com
    623-824-5232

Ron Bibler Guest

I don't look at it like a salesman of IR. more like i have some information and i teach the buyers what i can and can not do with the camera.

its sells it self.

You can call if you like 707-570-2000

I doing an INFRARED SHOW today at a hotel for the Board of Realtors.
    should be fun. Most have no idea what INFRARED IMAGING is.

Best

Ron

Raymond Olsen Guest

Ron, That's a great idea. The Board of Realtors! Like it or not, it took your salesmanship to get to them, just to show off IR. I will follow your lead. And you are right- we do need to explain it's limitations. It's not an Xray. There is no substitute for Level 1 training. I have run into guys who have been doing IR for five or more years that do not know the basics of emmitance and reflectivity. The Infraspection Institute is a great way to get the basics. I took the ISI on-line course through my sponsor- Stockton Infrared. No sales, just knowledge. Pure value.

Jay Ray Guest

Ron,

Please keep us posted. I would like to know what kind of reception you recieve with the board.

Richard Stanley Guest

Flir and Snell both have forums on their websites.

Herb Scott Guest

Brent, I thought Infraspection Institute's course was very good. It explains the science of IR and gives a lot of helpful hints and info.
    Infraspection is the oldest independent institute. No camera selling.
    ASTM standard E-1934 is based on Infraspection's standards.
    Herb Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Herb Scott View Post
    Brent, I thought Infraspection Institute's course was very good. It explains the science of IR and gives a lot of helpful hints and info.
    Infraspection is the oldest independent institute. No camera selling.
    ASTM standard E-1934 is based on Infraspection's standards.
    Herb Scott
    I went to ITC (Infrared Training Center) which is a branch of FLIR, excellent course, and, .... drum roll ... no camera selling either.

Jerry Peck
    Construction/Litigation/Code Consultant - Retired
    www.AskCodeMan.com